SJB - Targeting Rule discussion

Nobody

What they would rather is for the defense to hit the guys low and cut them for a flip only to land on their head and break their neck. I mean watch the NFL and there have already been a few knees blown out this season for the safteys coming in low and not hitting high. Those guys are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

mccoy_medium.gif

Yeah, no targeting call here, on this play from last weekend. No one ejected from the game. So apparently the ncaa thinks this isn't as bad as the SJB hit. (Note: There was a 15 yard penalty on this hit.)

Completely different type of hit in that Texas Oklahoma replay than what SJB did. Honestly in that Texas Oklahoma replay I can't see what the Oklahoma player did that caused McCoy to flip like that? It almost looked like McCoy played it up. I don't know what they expect players to do in these moments? They can't stop in mid air.

Looking closely it looks as if McCoy either jumps or leaves his feet at the point of impact, making this hit look far worse than it was.

IMO refs are looking far too much into how "brutal" the hit looks, rather than if anything illegal actually took place. Brutal hits are a part of the game, but it doesn't have to necessarily mean a rule was broken.

What they would rather is for the defense to hit the guys low and cut them for a flip only to land on their head and break their neck. I mean watch the NFL and there have already been a few knees blown out this season for the safteys coming in low and not hitting high. Those guys are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

mccoy_medium.gif

Yeah, no targeting call here, on this play from last weekend. No one ejected from the game. So apparently the ncaa thinks this isn't as bad as the SJB hit. (Note: There was a 15 yard penalty on this hit.)

Completely different type of hit in that Texas Oklahoma replay than what SJB did. Honestly in that Texas Oklahoma replay I can't see what the Oklahoma player did that caused McCoy to flip like that? It almost looked like McCoy played it up. I don't know what they expect players to do in these moments? They can't stop in mid air.

Looking closely it looks as if McCoy either jumps or leaves his feet at the point of impact, making this hit look far worse than it was.

IMO refs are looking far too much into how "brutal" the hit looks, rather than if anything illegal actually took place. Brutal hits are a part of the game, but it doesn't have to necessarily mean a rule was broken.

Yeah, a completely different type of hit than SJB's hit. And apparently the ncaa thinks this isn't as bad as the SJB hit since no player ejection.

I don't think McCoy was hamming it up. In fact, I think he got hurt on that play. His knee, not his neck.

mccoy_medium.gif

Yeah, a completely different type of hit than SJB's hit. And apparently the ncaa thinks this isn't as bad as the SJB hit since no player ejection.

I don't think McCoy was hamming it up. In fact, I think he got hurt on that play. His knee, not his neck.

I wasn't aware he was injured or i wouldnt have made that statement. I'm just not sure why he left his feet like that before the impact was made. Whatever the reason, I think him leaving his feet at that moment made the impact look more brutal. IMO this is not an ejection or even a penalty. The Oklahoma player did nothing wrong. Again, I just believe it looked so bad the ref almost feels like something illegal must have occurred. If that makes sense.

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

nebraskatargeting_medium.gif

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

It gets worse and worse the more I watch it. It was probably a cleaner hit than the Kenny Bell hit, which was still legit anyway. What a bunch of crap. I liked what Ben McLaughlin from Sports Nightly said. It's now going to make SJB (and others who sit and watch it in the film room) stop doing proper fundamental tackling because they don't want to be tossed from the game. And where are they going to have to aim? Knees. It's just sickening what the NCAA is doing to kill off college football. +1 to you, btw.

As far as the discussion on these penalties being called consistently throughout college football I find it interesting that as used to we all are with refs being inconsistent constantly through individual games, we still have folks who expect consistency on a national scale. Ha! Good luck with that.

As far as the discussion on these penalties being called consistently throughout college football I find it interesting that as used to we all are with refs being inconsistent constantly through individual games, we still have folks who expect consistency on a national scale. Ha! Good luck with that.

So... when Stanley was ejected, you applauded and said, "Good call!" And when the Ole Miss dude wasn't ejected, you applauded and said, "Good call!" And when this tackle was made with the defender looking at the ground and leading with his helmet and there wasn't even a hint of a flag thrown, you applauded and said, "Good call!"

notapenalty.jpg

Because if you didn't bitch at all, then you should never bitch about any call, ever. Because you're used to inconsistency unlike us unwashed heathen you're trying to convince. Right?

• Fire 1

So... when Stanley was ejected, you applauded and said, "Good call!" And when the Ole Miss dude wasn't ejected, you applauded and said, "Good call!" And when this tackle was made with the defender looking at the ground and leading with his helmet and there wasn't even a hint of a flag thrown, you applauded and said, "Good call!"

notapenalty.jpg

Because if you didn't bitch at all, then you should never bitch about any call, ever. Because you're used to inconsistency unlike us unwashed heathen you're trying to convince. Right?

Yep...that. I wouldn't have been so p*ssed about the SJB call had this not went completely missed. It's a HORRIBLE rule, but if you're going to have a HORRIBLE rule, you better f'ing call it on everyone.

After watching that gif some more, I have a legit question. What else is Stanley supposed to do? Is he supposed to just stand there and let the receiver go by him? Same with the Bell his last December. What is he supposed to do then? Seriously. He makes obvious attempt to go low. He's 6 inches taller than the guy to start. Even if his head is up and he wraps his arms, nothing changes and it's still probably a targeting call. That's the bullsh#t of this rule. It only seems to be enforced on the open field, more viscious appearing hits. Remember at Denver when the Bronco player came flying in the put his crown right into Terrell Pryor's temple? It gave him a concussion, but since Pryor was in a pile and stood up, it was not called. No fines or ejections came about it either. This is just another rule like I said that gives too much influence of the game to the officials. They cant do the basic job right 50% of the time to begin with.

Instead of all these educated idiots sitting behind desks whom probably have never even played a snap of competitive football in their lives coming up with all these ways NOT to tackle, maybe they need to advise on how it can be done. Within 2 years, you wont be able to tackle below the waist either as a result of these targeting rules. Mark it. 2 years.

True says he wants to go back to the 60's and 70's the ways them guys played. I agree. And a thing about them times is, them guys didnt use their head. They played violent as hell but they did it the right way. I just dont understand how anyone can be responsible for head issues other than the players themselves. You didnt know that would cause problems? bullsh#t. It's common fricken sense. You CHOSE to play a violent game. You CHOSE to use your head as a battering ram. And now that you cant remember when to go to the bathroom, you want someone to blame. It's just the way of the day. No one wants to hold themselves accountable.

Wanna solve the targeting the head issue and keep the violence in football? Take the helmets away until guys learn how to NOT use them anymore.

• Fire 2