SJB - Targeting Rule discussion

Nobody

You've never actually played football, have you? :lol:

Sure have.

And your coach didn't even mention the refs before each game? Like whether the ref crew working the game tends to call things like holding or pass interference close, or they were inconsistent in their calls? You must have had really crappy coaches. Or maybe you just weren't paying attention. During the entire football season. :lol:

• Fire 1

Uh, like I said, the refs should be expected to call a consistent game, but they rarely do. They miss calls all the time. This happens in every sport. It doesn't matter if they're trying to call things close to let the players play, they still miss calls or make the wrongs ones due to a number of reasons. That really has no bearing on this, though. The retardation of your posts is pretty staggering at this point.

The rules are what matter for every single call. While officials may give a little wiggle room here or there, the rules are still applied to every single call. Exactly what calls are made elsewhere (or in other games) are irrelevant to the SBJ hit.

The thing that probably annoys me the most about these penalties - and now Stanley's ejection - is that our opponents aren't getting called, just us. Eric Martin remains the only player in Big XII history to be suspended a game for an on-field hit. Kenny Bell makes a textbook block in the CCG and gets flagged - and TD gets called back. Now Stanley Jean-Baptiste gets booted from a game.

But the Huskers aren't the only team leveling crushing blocks and tackles. Martinez has been blasted more times than I can count - far worse than Stanley hit that Purdue guy. Where are all the flags for those hits? Kenny Bell was leveled twice against Michigan last year, no flag.

It's not a matter of "the refs are out to get us." I don't believe that and I'm not purporting that. What I'm saying is, they're simply not calling the game equally. And that sucks.

• Fire 1
The thing that probably annoys me the most about these penalties - and now Stanley's ejection - is that our opponents aren't getting called, just us. Eric Martin remains the only player in Big XII history to be suspended a game for an on-field hit. Kenny Bell makes a textbook block in the CCG and gets flagged - and TD gets called back. Now Stanley Jean-Baptiste gets booted from a game.

But the Huskers aren't the only team leveling crushing blocks and tackles. Martinez has been blasted more times than I can count - far worse than Stanley hit that Purdue guy. Where are all the flags for those hits? Kenny Bell was leveled twice against Michigan last year, no flag.

It's not a matter of "the refs are out to get us." I don't believe that and I'm not purporting that. What I'm saying is, they're simply not calling the game equally. And that sucks.

Cue the "its because Bo is an ass to the officials on the sidelines" crowd

Yep. UCLA LB Zumwalt hit helmet to helmet on TMart only to have Chris Spielman call that tackle a work of art. The rule is confusing and not applied equally. They need to fix it. The SJB hit on Purdue was a good football play. His helmet hits below the head and dislodges the ball. Great football play by SJB.

I agree. And I'd throw in holding calls while you're at it. We haven't gotten called for very many so maybe they're just not calling as many but there have been numerous times where our DLine has them beat only to get a nice little tug on the jersey that slows them down a step. I haven't noticed us doing that to the other team but perhaps I'm biased.

I agree. And I'd throw in holding calls while you're at it. We haven't gotten called for very many so maybe they're just not calling as many but there have been numerous times where our DLine has them beat only to get a nice little tug on the jersey that slows them down a step. I haven't noticed us doing that to the other team but perhaps I'm biased.

purdue was flagged for it once, that i recall, yesterday. nu declined and pu promptly decides to go with a punt fake on the next play. but yeah, i think i can count how many times it has been called against the other team in the pst 4 years without removing my shoes.

I'm fine with it being called targeting. Really the only reason was because he had his head down (which begs to question if the side judge who was right there didn't call anything, why did the guy 10-20 yards behind the play?), but upholding the ejection is an absolute sham. Now I didn't see the play, but I guess Ole Miss had someone launch, have targeting called on him, and have it overturned.

Has an SEC team have someone disqualified for that penalty yet? Is there a understanding by replay officials down there that no matter what the hit is, they won't disqualify?

Bottom line, it was a weak targeting call that was exacerbated when they upheld the ejection. If he hadn't been ejected, us fans would have moved on by now.

I thought it was a bogus call all the way around. Looked to me like his helmet hit the ball first. As for the intent, it was not intentional he should not have been ejected from the game. Doesn't some review committee look at these calls and make it clear to the refs what is acceptable and what is not?

Has an SEC team have someone disqualified for that penalty yet? Is there a understanding by replay officials down there that no matter what the hit is, they won't disqualify?

Not sure but Ole Miss got called twice last night only to have the ejection overturned by replay. The first one was WAAAY worse than SJB's.