SJB - Targeting Rule discussion

Nobody

The thing is, if they got this one right, they got five or more wrong in the Purdue game alone. The refs have to pick their poison - either toss out half a dozen guys per game or toss out nobody, because it's not whether the rule is good or bad (because it's bad), it's about the application of the rule.

Either way you look at this, the refs bungled something. Either that call or the half a dozen non-calls throughout the game.

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

nebraskatargeting_medium.gif

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

I honestly don't know how a player is supposed to tackle in that situation other than he needed to wrap up. If he wraps up, he probably doesn't draw the flag even though it wouldn't have changed anything as far as safety of the players.

You have to be consistent as a ref so the players know how to play. Shortly after this play, we had another player (#1) make a very similar play. The only difference was his angle of attack was more from the back of the RB instead of from the side so the hit didn't look quite as violent. Helmets touched just about the same amount on both plays.

Yeah, it seems like some Blackshirts always go for the big hit instead of wrapping up for a solid tackle. I wish Paps (or the position coaches) would coach them to wrap up and punch the ball out instead of trying to blast the guy with a huge hit.

Tough to get under a guys helmet when you're half a foot taller to start. :hmmph

New NCAA rule for 2014 - No defensive player may be taller than the shortest player on the offense.

389169452_988193.jpg

Introducing the 2015 Blackshirt recruits. :lol:

• Fire 2

As sh**ty as it is to say, I think that the refs got this one right.

Don't hate the call, hate the rule. Which I understand the emphasis on the new rules, but they are garbage. If someone like a Randy Gregory gets tossed out of a game like Michigan or Northwestern for something like this I will be beyond pissed off.

They did get the targeting call right, it's the ejection they got wrong. It wasn't a very hard hit, and it wasn't done with malicious intent, so the ejection shouldn't have been upheld.

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

nebraskatargeting_medium.gif

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

I honestly don't know how a player is supposed to tackle in that situation other than he needed to wrap up. If he wraps up, he probably doesn't draw the flag even though it wouldn't have changed anything as far as safety of the players.

You have to be consistent as a ref so the players know how to play. Shortly after this play, we had another player (#1) make a very similar play. The only difference was his angle of attack was more from the back of the RB instead of from the side so the hit didn't look quite as violent. Helmets touched just about the same amount on both plays.

Yeah, it seems like some Blackshirts always go for the big hit instead of wrapping up for a solid tackle. I wish Paps (or the position coaches) would coach them to wrap up and punch the ball out instead of trying to blast the guy with a huge hit.

What they would rather is for the defense to hit the guys low and cut them for a flip only to land on their head and break their neck. I mean watch the NFL and there have already been a few knees blown out this season for the safteys coming in low and not hitting high. Those guys are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

On another note targeting really. Dont you have to target to make a tackle. You cant go in with your eyes closed.

It's not the literal sense of targeting - it has to do with your intent, the way you make the tackle and, of course, how you lead your body with the tackle.

Can someone find the Anthony Barr (UCLA) hit on Taylor, that was obviously helmet-helmet that the announcers got a major boner over? I can't find it anywhere.

There's one in this video at :57 where the dude puts the crown of his helmet straight into Taylor's facemask, but I don't think it's Barr

What don't you people get about this? Where are SJB's eyes when he makes the hit? HE IS STARING AT THE GROUND. Which means he was leading in for the hit with the crown of his helmet. In any fundamental tackling drill, I've never heard a coach tell you not to look at who you are tackling. Head up, wrap up, drive through with your shoulders. In many cases, you will jam your neck up pretty good when tackling like SJB did.

Like I said before, I don't like how football is being pussified either but this rule is in existence, and that hit was illegal in accordance with the rule. Period. We all like big hits, but anymore it seems the bigger the hit, the more it costs your team. Especially now with the ejection rules. So the simple fix is to stop f'ing tackling this way. I don't see them changing this rule.

/ thread.