SJB - Targeting Rule discussion

Nobody

Repeating this from the other thread, the subjectivity is what is really bad. I noticed watching it again that the Line Judge who was right there didn't throw the flag. It came from the Field Judge who was probably 20 yards away from the play and would have been almost directly behind SJB.

and the most subjective part is the ejection call. that is the worst part about it. if you get flagged for targeting and it is a bad call, fine. there are a lot of bad calls throughout a game. but for an ejection, an incredibly harsh penalty, to be that subjective. the sjb and ole miss plays show the full continuum of targeting, and the ole miss guy's ejection was reversed. it is just asinine.

Pretty much ALL calls are subjective. It is the severity of call that is a joke.

If you cause another player to leave the game, then you are held out the same amount of plays - If he stays in you stay in. If his career ends - oh well

Repeating this from the other thread, the subjectivity is what is really bad. I noticed watching it again that the Line Judge who was right there didn't throw the flag. It came from the Field Judge who was probably 20 yards away from the play and would have been almost directly behind SJB.

and the most subjective part is the ejection call. that is the worst part about it. if you get flagged for targeting and it is a bad call, fine. there are a lot of bad calls throughout a game. but for an ejection, an incredibly harsh penalty, to be that subjective. the sjb and ole miss plays show the full continuum of targeting, and the ole miss guy's ejection was reversed. it is just asinine.

And now two ejections in the Ole Miss/aTm game have been reversed.

I hope they fix this rule by adding time off for the offesive player if they duck a head. I don't see why only the defense has responsability. And hey if your going to screw up the game why not go all the way.

i brought this up earlier. The way it is now it's just good offense to initiate it.

I hope they fix this rule by adding time off for the offesive player if they duck a head. I don't see why only the defense has responsability. And hey if your going to screw up the game why not go all the way.

i brought this up earlier. The way it is now it's just good offense to initiate it.

You are totaly right. The contact is a two way street so it would seem that both parties should be accountable for a "safe" outcome.

sjb made a form tackle at a high speed.

A form tackle includes wrapping up which didn't happen in this hit. I highly doubt that someone gets called for targeting if they really do form tackle someone (hit, wrap, drive). Too often players are looking for the big hit and launching their bodies without proper form and that is as much on the coach as the players. I am not saying that SJB launched his body in this case.

A form tackle includes wrapping up which didn't happen in this hit. I highly doubt that someone gets called for targeting if they really do form tackle someone (hit, wrap, drive). Too often players are looking for the big hit and launching their bodies without proper form and that is as much on the coach as the players. I am not saying that SJB launched his body in this case.

i guess that was more of my point. the difference between launching and tackling really fast. sjb made a tackle coming in hot. but when you see launching, you could see how that would get called for targeting.

Just wait until a conference championship game, or a BCS game, with the game on the line and an ejection alters the outcome of the game. It'll take the outrage from something like that to get this stupid rule removed, or at least changed.

If online petitions weren't the most pointless thing ever, I'd have half a mind to start an online petition.

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

nebraskatargeting_medium.gif

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

• Fire 4

I was going to get into the issue of college football concussions (over 3000 a year), but this is not the forum for that. Really this rule is meant to reduce the risk to players (a noble effort), but I question its ability to be effectively executed. We will end up with outcomes like SJB (calling something that might not fit) and those in the Ole Miss game (not calling clear targeting or leading with the helmet).

The reason I believe the SJB call is total BS is because later in the game Harvey Jackson did the exact same thing in tackling a receiver out in the flats, in I believe the 3rd quarter. However, the receiver held on to the ball and Jackson was praised with a nice open field tackle. Stupid, stupid, stupid.....

• Fire 2

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

nebraskatargeting_medium.gif

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

Good call.