Former NFL WR Irving Fryar Indicted For Allegedly Stealing $700,000

GSG

Couple of you "theorists" wanna explain to me how that drop lost us the game? We ended up scoring a few plays later anyway and still missed on the 2 point conversion. Good Grief. I have no problem with now questioning the guy's character and what went on that night 30 years ago, but find some better evidence.
I'd never consider myself a theorist, since you're probably referring to me. But I do know a little about psychology. And momentum. And chemistry. I was just a little kid when that game took place, but I look back at not the play on the field after that play, but the sidelines. You can do so too. Every Nebraska player on that sideline saw that drop. It's not an exact science. But something still seemed weird. Irving Fryar was considered the best WR in college football that year. On the two-point conversion, Osborne chose to throw to the back-up running back who had barely played that game. It was a set play, there was no checking off. Wonder why?

This is the first, last and only refuge of the conspiracy theorist: citing an inconsistency and claiming it as evidence.

Yeah. This is a college football message board, I have an opinion, and I'm not a professional at anything. I never said evidence. I'll go start a thread on the UFO crash at Roswell that never happened either just to satisfy your infatuation that a Husker player could *never* be associated with wanting a paycheck while in college no matter how it is obtained. I'd say $700k stolen kind of demonstrates that Fryar is more than capable of wanting to make money no matter what it takes or who it affects or what team it hurts.

http://articles.phil...ne-intervention

Fryar has admitted using cocaine during his All-America career at Nebraska, which earned him the prestige of being the No. 1 overall draft choice in 1984, when New England held the pick. He's been accused of beating his college girlfriend. He's been accused of dropping a pass in the 1984 Orange Bowl against Miami to help lose the game. He admits to being cut with a knife by his wife in a fight several weeks before the 1986 Super Bowl against Chicago. He's been accused of using illegal drugs during that season. There would be more.

During that '86 season, he left a game against the visiting Buffalo Bills with an injury, promptly got into his car, left the stadium and ran into a tree while the game continued. That same year, he was accused of punching an old aquaintance of Jacqui because the man remarked on his pregnant wife's size. Two years later, while driving with a suspended license, he was stopped by police in New Jersey, who discovered a rifle loaded with deadly, hollow-point bullets.

infatuation that a Husker player could *never* be associated with wanting a paycheck while in college no matter how it is obtained. I'd say $700k stolen kind of demonstrates that Fryar is more than capable of wanting to make money no matter what it takes or who it affects or what team it hurts.

He got paid while at Nebraska and so did Rozier (and probably others). What does that have to do with his current financial situation and your theory that he was in on a "fix" for the Miami game?

Couple of you "theorists" wanna explain to me how that drop lost us the game? We ended up scoring a few plays later anyway and still missed on the 2 point conversion. Good Grief.

I have no problem with now questioning the guy's character and what went on that night 30 years ago, but find some better evidence.

IF his goal was to throw the game, do you think he'd really catch a TD pass with 1:12 to go? Would he really assume we'd still score anyway from outside the 20? I hardly think so. What's the explanation, you can only throw the game with 10 seconds left or on 4th down? LOL.

How on earth does this "logic" get 31 up votes, while my explanation that this drop had no impact whatsoever on the betting spread gets none? I give up on this place.

You give up because you aren't getting rep points on a message board?

Yeah, I think it's best you do.

Fryar has admitted using cocaine during his All-America career at Nebraska, which earned him the prestige of being the No. 1 overall draft choice in 1984, when New England held the pick. He's been accused of beating his college girlfriend. He's been accused of dropping a pass in the 1984 Orange Bowl against Miami to help lose the game. He admits to being cut with a knife by his wife in a fight several weeks before the 1986 Super Bowl against Chicago. He's been accused of using illegal drugs during that season. There would be more.

During that '86 season, he left a game against the visiting Buffalo Bills with an injury, promptly got into his car, left the stadium and ran into a tree while the game continued. That same year, he was accused of punching an old aquaintance of Jacqui because the man remarked on his pregnant wife's size. Two years later, while driving with a suspended license, he was stopped by police in New Jersey, who discovered a rifle loaded with deadly, hollow-point bullets.

Don't know about purposely dropping a pass but have read that his assignment on the infamous 2pt conversion attempt was supposed to be to screen the guy who ended-up batting the ball away, killing the play.

Couple of you "theorists" wanna explain to me how that drop lost us the game? We ended up scoring a few plays later anyway and still missed on the 2 point conversion. Good Grief.

I have no problem with now questioning the guy's character and what went on that night 30 years ago, but find some better evidence.

I'd never consider myself a theorist, since you're probably referring to me. But I do know a little about psychology. And momentum. And chemistry. I was just a little kid when that game took place, but I look back at not the play on the field after that play, but the sidelines. You can do so too. Every Nebraska player on that sideline saw that drop. It's not an exact science. But something still seemed weird.

Irving Fryar was considered the best WR in college football that year. On the two-point conversion, Osborne chose to throw to the back-up running back who had barely played that game. It was a set play, there was no checking off. Wonder why?

Oh i agree with the point that there was something weird about that drop. I guess my comment wasnt specific enough. That play did NOT cost us the game, no matter how you slice it.

And also, I wasnt calling out ANYONE in particular. Did I quote anyone's post? NO. I was simpley asking for some theorists to explain to me how that drop cost us the game. What grounds are they coming up with this. I did get an answer too. But as it turned out, it didnt.

I watched the game again last night. I doubt there was anything shady involving Irving that night. Nothing throughout the entire remaining game was glaring. Sometimes sh#t just happens. Like a post earlier said, even Rex-yes our almight Jesus Burkhead-dropped a wide open td pass in the biggest game this program's had in a decade a few yeas ago too.

How on earth does this "logic" get 31 up votes, while my explanation that this drop had no impact whatsoever on the betting spread gets none? I give up on this place.

I would like to say it's becuase everyone here loves me, but I believe it's glitch of some sort. It happened with someone else yesterday. I think it's neat because I'm all about +1's. And yes, everyone does still love me, too.

Yeah, the huge number of +1s to Accountability is due to a glich in the board. But here's a couple of +1s for you. :lol:

As for Irving Fryar, this scandal is a big black eye for the program. I mean, one day the guy ranks among the greatest Husker heroes. The next day he's exposed as just another crook. And it makes Christians look bad too. We can count a lot of Christian role models among our coaches and former Huskers--Ron Brown, Turner Gill and others. The deeds of Irving Fryar detract from the credibility of these other outstanding Huskers. The whole Fryar scandal thing is just weird and perplexing. Why Irving, why?

As for Irving Fryar, this scandal is a big black eye for the program. I mean, one day the guy ranks among the greatest Husker heroes. The next day he's exposed as just another crook. And it makes Christians look bad too. We can count a lot of Christian role models among our coaches and former Huskers--Ron Brown, Turner Gill and others. The deeds of Irving Fryar detract from the credibility of these other outstanding Huskers. The whole Fryar scandal thing is just weird and perplexing. Why Irving, why?

Between that and Johnny Rodgers asking to be pardoned of robbing a gas station 50 years ago has me really questioning the legitimacy of the classiness our program is perceived to have.

LOL@"deadly, hollow-point bullets. " I just have to chuckle when I read sensationalistic firearms nonsense. I'm surprised that they weren't described as "exploding, man-killer bullets" by the author.