ESPN College Football Final Verdict: Should Bo Pelini be fired?

Nobody

One thing came to mind when I watched this. I feel sorry for Bo. It must be painful for him to have his livelihood debated on national TV. It would be tough to be a public figure in this nation at this time. Imagine how tough it would be for Bo to sit through watching that.

Some of the older among those who post here (and maybe some of the younger too) have experienced at their work the hiring of someone who was unqualified for the job. When someone w/o the background experience comes in and are under-qualified, the hiring ends up being painful for everyone --- including the person hired. Bo never was a head coach and had questionable people skills when he was hired --- he was not qualified. When a person is asked to do what they do not have the skill set to do --- then they (and everyone) will struggle. Bo was thrust into a situation where he had no business being. And unfortunately for him (and Husker fans) it did not work out. For Bo, for NU... the merciful thing to do is end this quietly at seasons end. It must be agonizing for Bo... and I earnestly feel for him. He was asked to do what he could not do. He never should have been hired.

I can't feel sorry for a guy who has been getting paid 3M a year and on numerous occasions threatened to leave just to get a raise. He took the job and knew what was expected and didn't succeed at those expectations. It just proves once again that we need to keep Tom away from the hiring process as he has failed miserably twice at it. Three if you want to count that he recommended Peterson as AD.

• Fire 1

The biggest question I have is what coach will come here...that has credentials? I can tell you that if I was a coach with credentials and the previous coach was fired after 9-10 games each year I would definitely hesitate. Davis is correct that the Nebraska job is not what it used to be. Is this because of the past three coaches (Solich, Callahan, and Pelini)? I would be good with Bo staying IF he looks at bringing in a big name or an up and coming name for the d-coordinator. Watching them yesterday live was embarrassing...the Gopher fans around me were in shock how bad we were playing. What is funny though, is most of the Gopher fans see this as a HUGE upset. The conversations I was having yesterday during and after the game shed some light on how bad our defense is.

Anyways, back to my initial question...give some names that would be legitimate candidates that would come here to coach.

It all comes down to the $$$$ that we are willing to pay. Alabama was in the same situation (probably worse) before they hired Saban. To get someone better than Bo we probably need to start with 4M and work from there. I wouldn't be surprised if SE went after Golden to fix this place, just as he has Miami.

Saban for 6 mil. Get out your checkbooks boys this ones gonna hurt.

No way in hell does Saban come here.................why would he leave Alabama for anywhere other than Texass? Both Alabama and Texass have great recruiting roads..............Nebraska doesn't.

I unfortunately agree with Mark May and I just threw up in my mouth typing that. :ahhhhhhhh

Holtz is right. Coaches ARE always coaching for their job. But everyone in the god damn world with a job is doing for their job. How so? Well, it's simple. If you dont do your job, you get fired. Glad I watched this. I have a better understanding on life now.

Bo's dun folks. sh#t like this on ESPN-deserved or not is not the point-means we've reached that point of no return. We couldve lost yesterday to Penn St, Michigan, or Michigan St and I seriously doubt that the meltdown wouldve transpired into the apathy that is has. It was frickin Minnesota. I want Bo to get it done as much as anyone because I like the guy. Aside from the scoreboard results of late, I love how he runs our program. Personally I like his hard-headed approach, and he's a very down to earth type of guy. But the bottom line is about wins and losses, and he's not getting it done. Now, we all know this isnt happening now. It would be calmer and sitback and take a wait and see approach with 5 games left. No one can argue that we've seen his teams rally after pooping the bed before, but this time it's hard for me to get excited about our brutal November sched. And now with all the questions surrounding the Martinez injury and how hurt he actually is, and why he was playing, why he played the whole game, and that whole can of worms, we're standing on the ledge folks. The tape 6 weeks ago doesnt help one iota. Possible with one leg hanging of. One little nudge and it's over. I'm really scare right now about where we go from here. Eichorst better put his big boy pants on. And maybe this is way TO got out. The guy is a psychic. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and didnt wanna have to go through it all again. Who knows. But I'm one nervous sumbitch right now.

Bo gets a pass if he gets to eight wins - either in the regular season or with a bowl win.

Agreeing with Hercules in that it's dicey at six or seven wins.

Seven wins or less and it'll be up to how big a cesspool of lies, favoritism, bad chemistry, etc, Eichorst discovers.

Less than 9 wins and he's out. That means we lose two more regular season games and definitely do not make the CCG, and play int he insight bowl or some sh#t. Bo wont survive that. Or we lose maybe on more reg season game, but then we have to lose both the CCG and bowl again. Dont think he survives that either at this point. Be serious. He's set his standard at 9 wins minimum, and folks are tired of that. Anything less than that is reason to pull the plug.

I don't think it matters what Bo does now. I think he's done here. I think every moment he remains here is a waste of time we could be spending to get a better head coach in here and getting things back on the right track.

And anyone who hasn't had a sneaking and growing suspicion that Bo wasn't the right guy over the past couple of seasons simply hasn't been paying attention. He's plainly incompetent and simply incapable of being the Head Coach at a program like Nebraska. Time to flush him and his staff and start over. If the new coach wants to keep Brown and Fisher, that's cool. Everyone else needs to leave immediately.

The whole Saban thing is silly. We can't just pull out the checkbook and get anybody. On the other side it's ridiculous to think we can't get anyone. There are coaches that would take a step up (coaches from lesser conferences for example) that want the challenge and know they can win here. Bo's winning with poor recruiting or lousy fundamentals. A change has to be made. I believe Bo is defeated. I wish him the best. I believe he gave us everything he had. I'm a loyal person too but 3M per season has to produce. That's the bottom line. Anyone feel we are getting 3M worth of quality football this season?

That said, a change at QB and I could see this team beating NW, Iowa and Penn state and Bo surviving. I don't want the team to lose for the sake of change....sigh....I guess the best scenario would be the wins mentioned above and Bo coming out and saying he needs help and making the right hires.

I don't think it matters what Bo does now. I think he's done here. I think every moment he remains here is a waste of time we could be spending to get a better head coach in here and getting things back on the right track.

And anyone who hasn't had a sneaking and growing suspicion that Bo wasn't the right guy over the past couple of seasons simply hasn't been paying attention. He's plainly incompetent and simply incapable of being the Head Coach at a program like Nebraska. Time to flush him and his staff and start over. If the new coach wants to keep Brown and Fisher, that's cool. Everyone else needs to leave immediately.

You mention about the thoughts creeping around my head and youre right. I've had the fear of it. But never really wanted to admit. I admit now I just kept making excuses. Mainly because I like Bo as a person and really wanted to see him get it done here. But now, after yesterday, I dont know how anyone can believe that he can anymore. It's just not getting better. Not that we lose, but it's how we lose. Disorganized. No passion or fire. Inserting a hurt qb when the backup and future are proven as more than capable. The mind-boggling management and decision making just makes my head hurt anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if talks with a select coach or two have been going on for maybe a month or longer. I bet Eichorst has a short list, I bet Bo knows where he's going and everyone is just waiting for the season to tick/tock down. The question for me is, what is the time to publically can Bo? I've always been a fire at the end of the season supporter, but maybe a call of action right now may help the national perception of the program? I'm not saying we have to hire immediately as I would hope that any coach Eichorst has in mind has plans through January and will uphold his commitment.

The talk about wins and losses needs to stop. This team is unraveling and playing worse each season. The chemistry is wrong, the Head coach isn't getting the same effort from his players that he did the first 3 years of his tenure. This can't be about wins and losses. When Solich was fired, it was wins and losses and recruiting and it wasn't the same thing. This is Bill Callahan all over again.