Nebraska vs. Texas vs. USC

NUance

This past week, the way the fans have been toward the players makes me ashamed to wear Nebraska gear. It might be a vocal minority doing it but if the majority of good fans (if there are any left) don't push back then they are just as bad as the others.

It is a vocal minority. You know that. Asshats are everywhere and you can't stop them.

Out of curiosity, what should the "good fans" do to push back? I'm curious to what good fans could do to someone posting anonymously on Twitter.

Simply speak up. I have been in multiple conversations over the last year or two where I have stopped people from constantly trashing a specific player when it was out of line. Some of those are with people I work with and they know I don't like that attitude around the office towards college players.

I've had a twitter account for sometime now. I do not follow players. I use it for up to date sports info, How about this to help stop the fans from trash talking to players, tell them (the players) to quit adding people to their follow list. Make your account private. If your ego is predicated on how many followers you have, you have a problem.

This past week, the way the fans have been toward the players makes me ashamed to wear Nebraska gear. It might be a vocal minority doing it but if the majority of good fans (if there are any left) don't push back then they are just as bad as the others.

It is a vocal minority. You know that. Asshats are everywhere and you can't stop them.

It is becoming more than a vocal minority. It is not just Twitter, look how many HB members are treating the players. It is embarrassing.

• Fire 1

Short of Bo losing almost every game the rest of the season its not going to happen and if it does Nebraska deserves two decades of crap coaches that make Billy C look like a genius.

Nothing pisses me off more than fair weather, crap fans that show up in droves on message boards and get excited over someone's demise. The reality is most of them are substandard in their everyday lives and don't deserve to sniff the jock straps of these coaches and players.

If only we were all as perfect as you. And I'm pretty sure we'd be willing to put forth a tad more effort if we were making Bo's salary. Get off your high horse.

• Fire 1

Out of curiosity, what should the "good fans" do to push back? I'm curious to what good fans could do to someone posting anonymously on Twitter.

Simply speak up. I have been in multiple conversations over the last year or two where I have stopped people from constantly trashing a specific player when it was out of line. Some of those are with people I work with and they know I don't like that attitude around the office towards college players.

For the record, that's what we do at HuskerBoard. Attacks against a specific player are not tolerated, and more than a few people have tried to join this board and been curbed and turned away for doing exactly that.

Dave Sund@davesund26 Oct

The way Husker "fans" have treated Taylor Martinez over the last four years has been shameful.

The first thing Kenny Bell did on Twitter after Saturday's game was RT this guy. This isn't just treatment on Twitter. This isn't a vocal minority. This is four years of absolute f*cking bullsh*t by the "Greatest Fans in College Football." I'm embarrassed and ashamed.

"f#*k THE FANS."

• Fire 2

We need a Gary Anderson-type hire. A guy who knows football, will get the most out of his team, but isn't on the radar of a USC or Texas.

100% agree. there is no sense in a knee jerk reaction and firing a coach mid-season does nothing to help. But, the writing is on the wall and Bo has dug his own grave. You can point to a lot of things but the lackluster staff he has assembled and his pride / loyalty to a broken defensive system are of his own doing and are his biggest downfall. dropping countless f-bombs and being recorded only adds to the erradic character of Bo.

Apparently i'm in the minority, but i feel like there a plenty of good coaches out there that would LOVE to come to NU. Look at the freaking top 25 poll. what teams are succeeding that have more challenges than NU? Standford, Baylor, Fresno State, Northern Ill, Louisville, Central Florida. Any of the coaches running those programs know what they are doing or they wouldn't be succeeding where they are at. Hell, you could probably throw Washington and Maryland in there too even though they are not currently ranked, but have its pretty clear they have good coaches. I like Richt, but i don't see him going anywhere. I just think there a lots of other good coaches available.

• Fire 1

We need a Gary Anderson-type hire. A guy who knows football, will get the most out of his team, but isn't on the radar of a USC or Texas.

+1 Knapp.

Like EZ-E said in an earlier post this weekend, I will continue to support Bo Pelini until he is either removed by our administration or he steps down on his own, otherwise he will still be the head coach at Nebraska, and I will continue to hope for success for him & the program.

With that said, IF...IF Nebraska does decide to make a change at the end of the season, I have been telling friends & family that I think Nebraska is at another "Bob Devaney moment." Nebraska has to find that kind of coach who may not be a Nebraska guy, but embodies the qualities of what we want in the head coach at Nebraska.

1. Someone whose values are in the right place.
  2. Someone who works hard & recruits well.
  3. Someone who can coach every ounce of talent out of the players he has on hand.

So again, IF Nebraska makes a change at the end of the year...the program is at a crossroads, but we've been here before.....we will be at that "Bob Devaney moment," and it will be up to AD Sean Eichorst to find him.

what teams are succeeding that have more challenges than NU? Standford, Baylor, Fresno State, Northern Ill, Louisville, Central Florida.

With the couple of exceptions, these schools are in California, Florida and Texas.

true, but these are low level schools in those states. they aren't taking kids from USC / UCLA, Texas, Florida, FSU etc. those are are kids that NU could and should be able to get

what teams are succeeding that have more challenges than NU? Standford, Baylor, Fresno State, Northern Ill, Louisville, Central Florida.

With the couple of exceptions, these schools are in California, Florida and Texas.

true, but these are low level schools in those states. they aren't taking kids from USC / UCLA, Texas, Florida, FSU etc. those are are kids that NU could and should be able to get

Like Newby and Taylor, both of whom NU got?

Was just going to say something to that effect. Those schools may possibly face bigger challenges in that they are in the shadows of their larger, in-state recruiting rivals.

We need a coach who has done something with nothing. Would Saban (minus his legend status) do well here? Not a chance. He sucked at Sparty which is more like NU than Alabama is. We don't need a Nebraska guy per se, but we need a guy who knows how to recruit to a college town surrounded by nothing that would be of major interest to an 18 year old recruit. The guy NU goes with needs to know how to get the right guys, because the best guys are probably at Bama, to come to the middle of nowhere (harsh but that's what recruits probably see) and be a complete team.

Dave Sund@davesund26 Oct

The way Husker "fans" have treated Taylor Martinez over the last four years has been shameful.

The first thing Kenny Bell did on Twitter after Saturday's game was RT this guy. This isn't just treatment on Twitter. This isn't a vocal minority. This is four years of absolute f*cking bullsh*t by the "Greatest Fans in College Football." I'm embarrassed and ashamed.

"f#*k THE FANS."

You like your straw man wrapped in hyperbole, do you?

Listen, anyone who's read this board knows there are asshats who have decided they don't like Taylor Martinez and will persist in that belief forever. But to make the assertion that these are representative of anything more than a minority is wrong.

Kenny Bell retweeting an idiot doesn't mean the other idiots who think like that are the majority. It means Kenny Bell was hurting and, rather than letting these idiots stew in their own misery, he gave that person (and others like him) a pulpit.

I guess I don't understand what has changed that makes you embarrassed. Why do you take the asshattery of idiots on yourself? You don't believe these things about these players and you wouldn't say something like this to them (in person or via Twitter) so why do you take any kind of ownership or feel any kind of affiliation to people who do? Because they put on red and cheer for Nebraska from time to time?

That makes as much sense as feeling like a felon because there are Husker fans in the State Pen cheering on the Huskers. How embarrassed and ashamed are you for their transgressions?

• Fire 1