Nebraska vs. Texas vs. USC

NUance

Knapp's right. It is a very small minority. Just think about it. a few comments on twitter against how many thousands, to hundereds of thousands, to even millions of comments/thoughts in either support, or just good old fashion constructive criticism. If this really is a problem with these players-which i doubt it is, they appear too smart to really let it bother them-and they lack the perspective surrounding such, then all I can say is you better get your big boy pants on, cuz life after college football? Probably not gonna get much easier if you let some twitter dooshes get to you.

I dont use twitter. It gives me headache. I dont use facebook either. Hence, I'm not bothered by anyone who says anything on those devices. See where I'm going with this?

• Fire 1

Dave Sund@davesund26 Oct

The way Husker "fans" have treated Taylor Martinez over the last four years has been shameful.

The first thing Kenny Bell did on Twitter after Saturday's game was RT this guy. This isn't just treatment on Twitter. This isn't a vocal minority. This is four years of absolute f*cking bullsh*t by the "Greatest Fans in College Football." I'm embarrassed and ashamed.

"f#*k THE FANS."

You like your straw man wrapped in hyperbole, do you?

Listen, anyone who's read this board knows there are asshats who have decided they don't like Taylor Martinez and will persist in that belief forever. But to make the assertion that these are representative of anything more than a minority is wrong.

Kenny Bell retweeting an idiot doesn't mean the other idiots who think like that are the majority. It means Kenny Bell was hurting and, rather than letting these idiots stew in their own misery, he gave that person (and others like him) a pulpit.

I guess I don't understand what has changed that makes you embarrassed. Why do you take the asshattery of idiots on yourself? You don't believe these things about these players and you wouldn't say something like this to them (in person or via Twitter) so why do you take any kind of ownership or feel any kind of affiliation to people who do? Because they put on red and cheer for Nebraska from time to time?

That makes as much sense as feeling like a felon because there are Husker fans in the State Pen cheering on the Huskers. How embarrassed and ashamed are you for their transgressions?

I agree with this knapp. But, it is embarrassing for the "good" fans when the asshats do these things under the guise of being Husker fans. You and I and most everyone realizes there are asshats amongst us. We can't control other people or eliminate their actions. All we can do is offer the proper support when we see transgressions. On more than a few occasions I have witnessed loud mouth drunk Nebraska fans being rude to opposing fans. It's embarrassing but, when I see it happen, I go out of my way to support the opposing fan(s) and show them we're not all like that. I imagine we should do the same with our players when they are being attacked. However, I think at least part of the fan perception problem stems from the us against them attitude perpetuated by our coach. When he is out there f bombing the fairweather fans, the example has already been set for the players. Is anybody making them realize that this handful of vocal jerks is really the extreme minority?

• Fire 1

what teams are succeeding that have more challenges than NU? Standford, Baylor, Fresno State, Northern Ill, Louisville, Central Florida.

With the couple of exceptions, these schools are in California, Florida and Texas.

true, but these are low level schools in those states. they aren't taking kids from USC / UCLA, Texas, Florida, FSU etc. those are are kids that NU could and should be able to get

Like Newby and Taylor, both of whom NU got?

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. From what i can tell, and that's not much, Newby and Taylor were great recruits. You win some and lose some. we will always be at a disadvantage going into some of those states but just because you can't always land top tier talent doesn't mean there aren't still a lot of quality kids to get. Just because they aren't on the big name schools radar doesn't mean that they can't help.

And while we're on the topic- why do college football players need twitter? I realize I'm an old fart but I also realize twitter is waste of time and the potential for "problems" greatly increases in a medium like that. Why don't coaches make twitter off limits for their players. It's not like they're going to miss anything or lose the ability to communicate. Eliminate the problem and temptation..... imo.

This isn't just Twitter. You have people on here for example that will "Walk out of the stadium if Taylor Martinez steps foot on the field" or who mock and make fun of players who show any sense of optimism. To say this is just a few fringe tweets is ignorant.

This isn't just Twitter. You have people on here for example that will "Walk out of the stadium if Taylor Martinez steps foot on the field" or who mock and make fun of players who show any sense of optimism. To say this is just a few fringe tweets is ignorant.

Yet the vast majority either support the team categorically, or offer valid criticism.

If you were to judge America by either Twitter or the Comments Section on virtually every Internet site, you'd think we were all angry, bored, ill-informed narcissists.

Sh*t. Maybe we are.

Dave Sund@davesund26 Oct

The way Husker "fans" have treated Taylor Martinez over the last four years has been shameful.

The first thing Kenny Bell did on Twitter after Saturday's game was RT this guy. This isn't just treatment on Twitter. This isn't a vocal minority. This is four years of absolute f*cking bullsh*t by the "Greatest Fans in College Football." I'm embarrassed and ashamed.

"f#*k THE FANS."

Listen, anyone who's read this board knows there are asshats who have decided they don't like Taylor Martinez and will persist in that belief forever. But to make the assertion that these are representative of anything more than a minority is wrong.

Kenny Bell retweeting an idiot doesn't mean the other idiots who think like that are the majority. It means Kenny Bell was hurting and, rather than letting these idiots stew in their own misery, he gave that person (and others like him) a pulpit.

I guess I don't understand what has changed that makes you embarrassed. Why do you take the asshattery of idiots on yourself? You don't believe these things about these players and you wouldn't say something like this to them (in person or via Twitter) so why do you take any kind of ownership or feel any kind of affiliation to people who do? Because they put on red and cheer for Nebraska from time to time?

That makes as much sense as feeling like a felon because there are Husker fans in the State Pen cheering on the Huskers. How embarrassed and ashamed are you for their transgressions?

Dave Sund@davesund26 Oct

"f#*k THE FANS."

I agree with this knapp. But, it is embarrassing for the "good" fans when the asshats do these things under the guise of being Husker fans. You and I and most everyone realizes there are asshats amongst us. We can't control other people or eliminate their actions. All we can do is offer the proper support when we see transgressions. On more than a few occasions I have witnessed loud mouth drunk Nebraska fans being rude to opposing fans. It's embarrassing but, when I see it happen, I go out of my way to support the opposing fan(s) and show them we're not all like that. I imagine we should do the same with our players when they are being attacked. However, I think at least part of the fan perception problem stems from the us against them attitude perpetuated by our coach. When he is out there f bombing the fairweather fans, the example has already been set for the players. Is anybody making them realize that this handful of vocal jerks is really the extreme minority?

Agree that more people need to take the players side in this and have their back. But the us against them is not coming from Bo. If anything he's been working to flip that. Why else would he point out in the presser the fans that waited to cheer the team as they headed home. Yes...he's screwed up but I don't see the a-hole fan coming out publicly and saying..you know Bo I was wrong when I call you a @##@!@@!!@# 47 times during the game when I thought you should have made that tackle or called a different play.

Yet the vast majority either support the team categorically, or offer valid criticism.

If you were to judge America by either Twitter or the Comments Section on virtually every Internet site, you'd think we were all angry, bored, ill-informed narcissists.

Sh*t. Maybe we are.

Exactly, Guy.

This is what I'm on about, Q.

I'm not ignorant of the asshattery directed at Taylor, especially not here. I, personally, have dealt with nearly a dozen people who came here the past few weeks specifically to denounce Martinez. Most of them have already been shown the door, a couple have decided to stick around and talk about the whole team. Like BRB said he's doing at work, I'm doing here.

And there are a ton of people here who are critical of Martinez. At times, even me, one of his staunchest supporters. I will be critical of him on the field, and I will (and am) call for him to be benched until he's better than our other options. I have no problem with that, and I don't see any hypocrisy in supporting him while calling for his benching.

What I think you're on about, Q, is the overt nitwittery that we've seen on Twitter, at times here, and in other places. And I'll swear, hand on my favorite Husker shirt, may I lose it forever if I lie, those people are the minority.

I don't know if your post was aimed at me for bringing up twitter or not but..... I don't think anyone has claimed it is just a few fringe tweets. And, I may in fact be somewhat ignorant of all that is happening/has happened. I'm located in Colorado and haven't been to a game during Pelini's tenure. It is sad that anyone would mock a player for showing optimism. I don't want the players being anything other than optimistic. If there are people who will walk out of the stadium if Taylor steps on the field, they are idiots and I really doubt those few extra seats are noticeable to the players or TM himself. Hell, if that is their attitude, I want them to leave and never return.

Personally, I didn't think TM should have remained in the game past the later first quarter. I don't blame Taylor for that. I blame the coaches for leaving him in and calling plays that didn't play to his strengths. Are there really that many asshats that are blaming 20 year old college students? I guess I'm not seeing it but, I don't get much, if any, Husker news outside of HB. So, I could be ignorant.....

There seems to be a lot of anxiety about hiring a new coach. People think we wouldn't be able to bring in a big name or the right guy, etc.

But the fact is, we don't have a lot of experience in doing this. Look at the history:

Devany is AD and picks his OC.

Osborne is allowed to handpick his successor

Steve Pederson is somehow god-like at Pittsburgh and then goes full retard and hires the first guy who says yes.

Osborne interviewed 3 known people I believe. Only 2 had a real shot and he went with the coach from the side of the ball that our team was struggling with at the time.

Nobody really knows what Eichorst is about or what his connections are. He might just be the guy to get the ship corrected. He has worked with a lot of influential people in the college football ranks. He may know the right things to say to get the right person here.

There seems to be a lot of anxiety about hiring a new coach. People think we wouldn't be able to bring in a big name or the right guy, etc.

But the fact is, we don't have a lot of experience in doing this. Look at the history:

Devany is AD and picks his OC.

Osborne is allowed to handpick his successor

Steve Pederson is somehow god-like at Pittsburgh and then goes full retard and hires the first guy who says yes.

Osborne interviewed 3 known people I believe. Only 2 had a real shot and he went with the coach from the side of the ball that our team was struggling with at the time.

Nobody really knows what Eichorst is about or what his connections are. He might just be the guy to get the ship corrected. He has worked with a lot of influential people in the college football ranks. He may know the right things to say to get the right person here.

I agree with you, though would add from my perspective Eichorst would have little to no margin for error. Firing a successful coach with no infractions is quite the risk.