Interview with Bo this morning

Pelini responded, “Good. Really good. We’re exactly in the same spot we were a year ago. Don’t like it, but we were here a year ago and we ended up taking care of our business..."

I think that's a really telling statement. How in any way did we end up taking care of business a year ago? We got outplayed and embarassed in the CCG on national television (again). Where's the fighting instinct? This mentality can only bleed into the players' outlook. Shouldn't winning the CCG be the only way we took care of business?

yeah, Bo is in denial....as I recall Whisky bitch slapped us and Georgia thumped our ass pretty good....how do you lose the last 2 games of the season and say that?.........he is so full of sh#t!

I miss angry Bo. Screw what the rest of the nation thinks, I want the hopping mad pissed Bo that gets in his players' grill and gets them fired up.

^This +1,000. Ever since Bo was neutered after the A&M game, this team plays with no intensity. I truly believe you take on the attitude of those around you, especially when it is someone above you that you are supposed to be learning from, in this case a coach. If your coach has no intensity, where are you going to get it from? Yes, you can get it from within but as humans we are a product of our environment. That intensity has to carry over to the players to some degree and to me it was there before A&M but has been lacking ever since. Giving me the screaming, about to pop all the blood vessel's in his face, Bo Pelini.

you don't need to be a lunatic, get reprimanded by the AD and penalized to be a motivating coach....this is not the answer.

I miss angry Bo. Screw what the rest of the nation thinks, I want the hopping mad pissed Bo that gets in his players' grill and gets them fired up.

^This +1,000. Ever since Bo was neutered after the A&M game, this team plays with no intensity. I truly believe you take on the attitude of those around you, especially when it is someone above you that you are supposed to be learning from, in this case a coach. If your coach has no intensity, where are you going to get it from? Yes, you can get it from within but as humans we are a product of our environment. That intensity has to carry over to the players to some degree and to me it was there before A&M but has been lacking ever since. Giving me the screaming, about to pop all the blood vessel's in his face, Bo Pelini.

you don't need to be a lunatic, get reprimanded by the AD and penalized to be a motivating coach....this is not the answer.

I'm not asking for lunacy, I stated that I just want him to be fiery again. He's not even fiery anymore, and that's what bothers me.

Wait. You think Angry Bo was getting better results? Cause it sure didn't win him that A&M game. Or the Texas game five weeks earlier.

You think he doesn't get in players' (or defensive coordinators') grills anymore? What games are you watching? He still gets angry, like most coaches get angry, he just looks less out of control.

Are you honestly trying to blame our porous defensive scheme, player apathy, and rampant miscommunication on the nation?

That's nuts, guys.

Angry Bo would probably tell the entire fanbase to go f•ck itself and secretly apply for another head coaching position.

Oh, wait.....

You really stretched my point there to say I was blaming the nation, but if you don't see the difference between those teams and these past couple teams...

• Fire 1

Wait. You think Angry Bo was getting better results? Cause it sure didn't win him that A&M game. Or the Texas game five weeks earlier.

You think he doesn't get in players' (or defensive coordinators') grills anymore? What games are you watching? He still gets angry, like most coaches get angry, he just looks less out of control.

Are you honestly trying to blame our porous defensive scheme, player apathy, and rampant miscommunication on the nation?

That's nuts, guys.

Angry Bo would probably tell the entire fanbase to go f•ck itself and secretly apply for another head coaching position.

Oh, wait.....

You really stretched my point there to say I was blaming the nation, but if you don't see the difference between those teams and these past couple teams...

We'd still be talking about teams that lost four games, some of them in heartbreaking or mystifying ways, and an entire unit that wasn't performing to Nebraska standards.

We'd still be trying to blame it on the offensive or defensive coordinator, trying to find a way to let Bo off the hook.

We'd notice that Bo is still getting in his players' grills, still going off on officials, still berating his DC in front of his players, and realize that the still-fiery Bo isn't getting much different results than the more fiery Bo.

Perlman neutered Bo? And it's been downhill since then?

No. I think we're sitting on the exact same hill.

The biggest difference between those first two teams and subsequent seasons was an incredible defense made up of Callahan recruits that Bo and Carl coached better than Cosgrove.

The biggest difference between those first two teams and subsequent seasons was an incredible defense made up of Callahan recruits that Bo and Carl coached better than Cosgrove.

Agreed. There were a couple of Pelini juco recruits thrown in, but Pelini does extremely well with talent. I'm glad our recruiting has picked up. I think it will pay dividends.

but Pelini does extremely well with talent. I'm glad our recruiting has picked up. I think it will pay dividends.

Are you serious? Can't be but, are you?

Back this up with anything other than

A) Suh (one of the greatest DL's ever to don a CFB uniform)

B) A sickening overabundance of LSU/SEC type talent

I've seen so many statements from you that just plain do not jive with anything I have seen from this team in the last six years. I don't dislike you, heck I don't even know you, but I'm going to start calling you on every one of them. You've got some good sh#t there and I wanna see if there is anyway a brother can get hooked up. I'm not above using mind altering drugs if it makes our product on the field seem acceptable in the slightest.

but Pelini does extremely well with talent. I'm glad our recruiting has picked up. I think it will pay dividends.

Are you serious? Can't be but, are you?

Back this up with anything other than

A) Suh (one of the greatest DL's ever to don a CFB uniform)

B) A sickening overabundance of LSU/SEC type talent

I've seen so many statements from you that just plain do not jive with anything I have seen from this team in the last six years. I don't dislike you, heck I don't even know you, but I'm going to start calling you on every one of them. You've got some good sh#t there and I wanna see if there is anyway a brother can get hooked up. I'm not above using mind altering drugs if it makes our product on the field seem acceptable in the slightest.

No worries.....but we may not be in as much disagreement as it initially appears. Your bullet points A&B above are what I'm saying. When Pelini has the talent, he can coach that talent to a championship level. Suh and Dorsey are examples of the DL....might be able to put Crick in there as well. Barrett Ruud gives Pelini the credit for making him the record breaking LB he was. You can add Super Demorrio and Lavonte to his successes as well. Pelini defenses turn LBs into tackling machines. It's why the staff is frustrated with the LB position right now. There are many examples in the secondary, from the Bullocks to Fonzo & Prince, and now Stanley. Some might even say Pelini had O'Hanlon playing better than anyone would have expected. We've had what I would call a significant talent gap since Suh......so I very much agree with your bullet point examples. If this young talent on defense pans out better than some of the whiffs the past few years.....Chase Rome as one glaring example......I think we can get to the next level.

When Pelini has the talent, he can coach that talent to a championship level.

Well if you have championship level talent, it sure makes the coaching profession a lot easier.

Now in his sixth season, you would have to put finding, recruiting and motivating talent on Bo Pelini's job description. His teams do not look like they belong in the Top 25, and appear literally out of their league in the Top 10. And that's with the keys to the University of Nebraska franchise in his pocket, which should count for something.

You shouldn't be able to watch the assistant coach at Minnesota showing you how he plans to exploit the Nebraska defense a week before the game. Then watch Minnesota do exactly what he said they would do.

If that's about a lack of defensive talent, it means the 100% Pelini Class of recruits is operating at dangerously low levels. I'm not sure they could hang in the Mountain West.

Or maybe it's just that Bo Pelini isn't allowed to get as angry any more.

Tough call.

No worries.....but we may not be in as much disagreement as it initially appears. Your bullet points A&B above are what I'm saying. When Pelini has the talent, he can coach that talent to a championship level. Suh and Dorsey are examples of the DL....might be able to put Crick in there as well. Barrett Ruud gives Pelini the credit for making him the record breaking LB he was. You can add Super Demorrio and Lavonte to his successes as well. Pelini defenses turn LBs into tackling machines. It's why the staff is frustrated with the LB position right now. There are many examples in the secondary, from the Bullocks to Fonzo & Prince, and now Stanley. Some might even say Pelini had O'Hanlon playing better than anyone would have expected. We've had what I would call a significant talent gap since Suh......so I very much agree with your bullet point examples. If this young talent on defense pans out better than some of the whiffs the past few years.....Chase Rome as one glaring example......I think we can get to the next level.

I don't disagree that there haven't been some individual success stories over the years. But "does extremely well with talent" and "can coach that talent to a championship level" are vast overstatements of what he has accomplished with talent. We might have differing definitions but I haven't seen "extremely well" or "championship level" from Bo, as it applies to the team. For awhile I felt it was limited to subpar recruiting and that has recently shown some improvement. However, now I think it has to do with the whole deal of how Pelini recruits, teaches, schemes, prepares, manages, adjusts, and motivates. It is clear to me he is failing at a majority of those things and recruiting is the only one that I have seen any indication of improvement with. Sorry but the Minny game shoved me over the edge. I'm not qualified to coach this team but even I could see the few adjustments we needed to make in that game. It was like watching the debacle in Boulder and last years CCG simultaneously and it was only Minnesota standing in our way. Should've been like taking candy from a baby. But instead it was a total clusterf*ck of mind numbing proportions.

When Pelini has the talent, he can coach that talent to a championship level.

Well if you have championship level talent, it sure makes the coaching profession a lot easier.

Now in his sixth season, you would have to put finding, recruiting and motivating talent on Bo Pelini's job description. His teams do not look like they belong in the Top 25, and appear literally out of their league in the Top 10. And that's with the keys to the University of Nebraska franchise in his pocket, which should count for something.

You shouldn't be able to watch the assistant coach at Minnesota showing you how he plans to exploit the Nebraska defense a week before the game. Then watch Minnesota do exactly what he said they would do.

If that's about a lack of defensive talent, it means the 100% Pelini Class of recruits is operating at dangerously low levels. I'm not sure they could hang in the Mountain West.

Or maybe it's just that Bo Pelini isn't allowed to get as angry any more.

Tough call.

Recruiting is very important. And yes, I'll say it as many times as necessary I guess......Pelini's recruiting was not good his first 3-4 years and it's hurt us. Changing leagues didn't help with the LB spot specifically, but this group of young LBs seem solid. But they will (and are) make mistakes. I can say unequivocally that recruiting has been a top focus of this staff for the past two seasons. It's been an emphasis.....so yes, it's basically in the job description. That Minnesota video is being exaggerated a little bit for what it was.....but yes, they clearly beat us in one on one matchups all over the field....offensively and defensively. In that game, our LBs had opportunities to make TFL and didn't get it done. Barrett Ruud and Jay Foreman (who both might know a little about the LB position) wrote articles about it which I linked in another thread. Our recruiting was not good, and now that it's improved we need experience. And yes, it's on Pelini. But time to start over with a new coach? I wouldn't, but it's not my decision.

I see recruiting being thrown around a lot. Which I do not follow. I don't understand. Are the players we have right now not good enough? Is that what y'all mean? Because I think a lot of them are pretty good. Should be even better by time they are Juniors and Seniors.

I don't disagree that there haven't been some individual success stories over the years. But "does extremely well with talent" and "can coach that talent to a championship level" are vast overstatements of what he has accomplished with talent. We might have differing definitions but I haven't seen "extremely well" or "championship level" from Bo, as it applies to the team. For awhile I felt it was limited to subpar recruiting and that has recently shown some improvement. However, now I think it has to do with the whole deal of how Pelini recruits, teaches, schemes, prepares, manages, adjusts, and motivates. It is clear to me he is failing at a majority of those things and recruiting is the only one that I have seen any indication of improvement with. Sorry but the Minny game shoved me over the edge. I'm not qualified to coach this team but even I could see the few adjustments we needed to make in that game. It was like watching the debacle in Boulder and last years CCG simultaneously and it was only Minnesota standing in our way. Should've been like taking candy from a baby. But instead it was a total clusterf*ck of mind numbing proportions.

Yes, our definitions might be different and that's ok. I enjoy discussing Husker football.....especially since I live in Colorado. I understand the Minny game pushed some over the edge. I figured our defense would struggle a bit, though I'll be the first to admit I didn't realize we'd struggle at LB this bad. But I know Pelini will not rest until he finds a LB who can make tackles. No reason we shouldn't have a LB with 125+ tackles. As far as championship levels, Pelini has only been a head coach 5.5 seasons. We've had two teams that were as good as any in the B12. Our transition to the B10 has been tough and Pelini's past recruiting struggles haven't helped. He does have a title ring from his LSU stint as DC.