Objective: Establish and maintain a running game

I hear this from Bo, and Beck a lot during their press conferences on how vital this is. I also hear a lot of fans say "WTF is Beck doing? Why aren't we running the ball?"

My question... how do you establish a running game, when your starting RB, Ameer Abdullah, keeps leaving after two runs for a breather? We all know Cross can get yards, but lets face he isn't a HUGE threat and isn't going to get us down the field. He is great for needing short yardage, and Newby hasn't been a proven back to get us yards against a good defense, while having issues with ball security.

My next question, why is Ameer taking so many breathers? My opinion, Coach Dobson and his assistants aren't doing their jobs. This just isn't my opinion because of Ameer, but its also because of how tired our defense has looked, while not even being on the field that long. I am not going to say anything about guys looking out of shape, because you never know by appearance. Many say that Valentine is "too out of shape" but I don't see him being gassed like some players have been.

I am not trying to take any credit away from Ameer, as I think this kid is an absolute stud, but am I the only person who sees this and concerned about it?

On a positive note, Ameer is now at 1108 yards! 400 more and he breaks 1500 for the season. Its a long shot with MSU in our way, but he can get it done!

HuskerNationNick. I hear you out about Ameer Abdullah, man. I understand your questioning Abdullah whether or not he's sturdy enough as a running back. But I've compared Ameer Abdullah many times to a former NU running back from the distant past -- Derek Brown (Huskers RB, 1990-92).

And with that being said, Brown did have a partner to take the load off his 5-foot-9, 180-pound frame. And Brown ran for a lot of yards too. But he had a partner named Calvin Jones who was very fast (4.3 40) and was also a haus at 5-foot-11, 210-pounds.

They both ran for over 1,000 yards in 1992. Brown ran for 1,300 in 1991 while Jones ran for 900 that year--so they helped each other to shoulder the load.

Ameer Abdullah is having to carry that load right now. Jones was a 5-star recruit -- so that explains his prowess some. It'd be nice if we had a Calvin Jones behind Abdullah. I still think Imani Cross -- the best may be ahead for him.

Time will tell. But right now, Abdullah has separated himself from the pack, but we are wanting more from the 5-foot-9, 180-pound Abdullah, and he's giving us his very best. He was amazing tonight considering how well a job Northwestern did on him keying on so much. 24 carries for a hard earned 127 yards. That's not bad for a small I-back.

Even when Ameer is in, I think our OL issues can't be ignored. Times today we couldn't run at all, even on 1st & 10, because NW stacked up against it. We can't just run twice and get into 3rd and 6 or 7s, either. It's a bit worrying. We'll need more out of the passing game; that is, if they can start defending 3-man rushes. Last minute heroics aside, this was not a good day out of our offense. Hope they get it cleaned up real fast.

Even when Ameer is in, I think our OL issues can't be ignored. Times today we couldn't run at all, even on 1st & 10, because NW stacked up against it. We can't just run twice and get into 3rd and 6 or 7s, either. It's a bit worrying. We'll need more out of the passing game; that is, if they can start defending 3-man rushes. Last minute heroics aside, this was not a good day out of our offense. Hope they get it cleaned up real fast.

Amen zoogies! Minnesota isn't exactly small, but Northwestern isn't exactly big. Both of these teams had their way up front, and it scares me to imagine what UM, MSU and Iowa will cause. One person from your OL missing, should cause this big of a hole.

I thought Ameer tapping out was a little odd. But how many plays was he in before those runs?

If he played 3-4 snaps, then ran a couple for 15-20 yds, he may need a breather.

BUT, he does give all every time he touches it.

I thought late 3rd early 4th he started picking up yds cuz THEY were gassed

The thing is, the answer to getting the run game back on track would be using either misdirection, option, or high percentage slants/quick routes to loosen up the defense, yes? Wouldn't that be what we initially want out of our passing game?

I ask, because we got a steady diet of downfield passing on first down constantly, then we come back and throw downfield again on second and third when we put our offense in bad long yardage situations. We weren't able to sustain any drives as a result, our third down conversions suffered, and our offense allowed a NW team that had no business hanging around an opportunity to eek out a win.

I agree we need passing to get on track to help the running game...but can't we make do with high percentage passing and allow Q, et al, to make plays instead of constantly heaving the ball downfield on first, missing, and then killing our drive?

I thought Ameer tapping out was a little odd. But how many plays was he in before those runs?

If he played 3-4 snaps, then ran a couple for 15-20 yds, he may need a breather.

BUT, he does give all every time he touches it.

I thought late 3rd early 4th he started picking up yds cuz THEY were gassed

And they may feel good enough about the backups that they tell Abdullah if he is breathing even fairly heavy, to call for a sub to make sure he is fresh and healthy.

Ameer was tapping out because he played the game on a bum ankle. It's not because he's not in shape, it's because that was Game 8 in the season and everyone's banged up right now.

That and the guy runs hard every time he gets the rock. The kid is all effort and heart. Glad we got him back there for us.

What needs to be noted is the type of run game that we employ, it is a chess match. We are going to have negative plays as Oregon leads the nation in that category. But every running play we run sets up the next one as we see the defense over-pursue from the previous one.

• Fire 1