MSU Defense Skewed

MSU's defense passes both statistic tests and eye tests. Indiana's offense is no joke. They could move the ball on just about anybody, which they did as you said against (IMO) the best defense in college football.

They were also head to their (by far) lowest statistical outputs of the season. I don't know anything about Indiana's offense and their tendencies and schemes, but the only way we have success running the ball is if Armstrong can be serviceable and accurate in the passing game. MSU is going to put 8-9 guys in the box every play, as they are not scared in the least to leave their corners on islands.

I really hope they put 8-9 guys on the line...we'll option off that all day long.

8-9 guys on the line is not the same as 8-9 in the box, just saying.

One problem for us is that we were hoping for our STAR (weakside) LB Jairus Jones (started at free safety last year before injury) to be back for this game. Would have been great in coverage and lateral pursuit ability. He had suffered an MCL sprain against ND, but he is now likely out for the year and his career is over. So that's a bit of a blow.

I think the key is the TE or Enunwa across the middle matched on a LB. Carter needs a big game. Good point EZ

TE on LB could work, but if you have a WR in the middle we'll likely bring a safety to match him. Our safeties are fairly solid at coverage, lot of interchangeability between the DB position in Dantonio's defense.

Right. I meant use Enunwa in that spot with a trips look that would take up the safety on another WR. If Turner is healthy we can put Bell, Enunwa, and Jamal Turner on the same side and then a WR on the other. You would get 1 on 1s you could take advantage of, if you have time. PA to freeze pass rush and you might get that mismatch we are talking about. Our TEs have not been great this year, so just an idea.

I think the key is the TE or Enunwa across the middle matched on a LB. Carter needs a big game. Good point EZ

TE on LB could work, but if you have a WR in the middle we'll likely bring a safety to match him. Our safeties are fairly solid at coverage, lot of interchangeability between the DB position in Dantonio's defense.

I'd dare Narduzzi to bring a safety up on a WR. Then it's pick your poison because we've got man to man coverage on either Kenny Bell or Quincy Enunwa with no safety help over the top.

I'd dare Narduzzi to bring a safety up on a WR. Then it's pick your poison because we've got man to man coverage on either Kenny Bell or Quincy Enunwa with no safety help over the top.

Dennard and Waynes pretty much never get safety help anyway. That's why this defense is what it is.

Dennard and Waynes pretty much never get safety help anyway. That's why this defense is what it is.

They'll need it against QE.

They'll need it against QE.

If he can play well enough to demand it on Saturday, we'll adjust for it as necessary. Don't think we've provided any safety help much at all this year, not even against ND whose gameplan basically involved max protect + deep shots.

Of Indiana's 92 rushing yards, 64 came on one play. So Indiana wasn't really able to establish a running game. Although, when Indiana put in Roberson (who is a more mobile QB) they did fair a bit better in the game and their offense seemed more efficient. Armstrong will have to be quick on is feet, make smart reads, and run if nothing is open because MSU is surely going to blitz all day.

My biggest key will be how TA adjust after his initial presnap read. He struggled mightily against crap defenses in Purdue and northwestern. This is a whole new monster. Another thing will be watching the interior the Olinemen handling MSu's, twists and stunts, something a healthy NU line struggled with against quality defensive personnel.

Quick controlled passes and rollouts will be TA's best friends early on to open some running lanes

In this day and age of zone reads and shotgun and pistol running game and spreads and such, the way we run the traditional looking option is very unique. And we do it out of the gun and pistol, which makes it more effective cuz it's so much less vulnerable to instant penetration. I'm callin. Our option attack is going to be a huge factor in this game. Not many folks run it like we have been. And we havent even really showed the passes that we have off it yet.

I can still see Tommie starting out and then dropping back to air mail 6 the easy way. Love that play action off the option.

My biggest key will be how TA adjust after his initial presnap read. He struggled mightily against crap defenses in Purdue and northwestern. This is a whole new monster. Another thing will be watching the interior the Olinemen handling MSu's, twists and stunts, something a healthy NU line struggled with against quality defensive personnel.

Quick controlled passes and rollouts will be TA's best friends early on to open some running lanes

I am glad that TA got the start against Purdue. Bo said they showed all kinds of looks. Even though he threw 3 picks I think it actually helps him against MSU.

Roll him out like Fresno did with Carr. Roll him with a moving pocket to pass.

In this day and age of zone reads and shotgun and pistol running game and spreads and such, the way we run the traditional looking option is very unique. And we do it out of the gun and pistol, which makes it more effective cuz it's so much less vulnerable to instant penetration. I'm callin. Our option attack is going to be a huge factor in this game. Not many folks run it like we have been. And we havent even really showed the passes that we have off it yet.

I can still see Tommie starting out and then dropping back to air mail 6 the easy way. Love that play action off the option.

We've added that to our playbook this year too with great success. Cook fakes the rollout, stays in the pocket and hits a receiver deep. Works almost entirely due to the OL/RBs being great in pass protection.