I want Tressel so I can buy a Nebraska sweater vest.

WHO CARES if Tressel made a mistake a few years ago? Lots of fans have been quick to forgive Bo for that ridiculous audio tape. What successful program hasn't surrounded by some sort of controversy? If you dig enough you can find it everywhere. Osborne used some questionable tactics to protect his players. Alabama has all sorts of issues with agents paying athletes. Chip Kelly left Oregon just in time to avoid sanctions. Pete Carroll left USC for the same reason.

I want to win a gat damn 'ship. Tressel has done it before. Tell the players not to be a bunch of idiots and accept cash and we will be fine. We have a good system in place and we even turned ourselves in for giving athletes free books. I do not advocate being dirty and lying to the NCAA, but Ohio State suffered the consequences of Tressel's decisions and they are still in a better position than we are. Everyone needs to get off of their moral high horse and accept the fact that Tressel is a damn good coach and he knows how to be successful in the Big 10.

WHO CARES if Tressel made a mistake a few years ago? Lots of fans have been quick to forgive Bo for that ridiculous audio tape. What successful program hasn't surrounded by some sort of controversy? If you dig enough you can find it everywhere. Osborne used some questionable tactics to protect his players. Alabama has all sorts of issues with agents paying athletes. Chip Kelly left Oregon just in time to avoid sanctions. Pete Carroll left USC for the same reason.

I want to win a gat damn 'ship. Tressel has done it before. Tell the players not to be a bunch of idiots and accept cash and we will be fine. We have a good system in place and we even turned ourselves in for giving athletes free books. I do not advocate being dirty and lying to the NCAA, but Ohio State suffered the consequences of Tressel's decisions and they are still in a better position than we are. Everyone needs to get off of their moral high horse and accept the fact that Tressel is a damn good coach and he knows how to be successful in the Big 10.

Well, hate to tell you this...but in my opinion it won't ever happen. I'm thinking he has a few years before some minor program from a minor conference picks him up as a coach and he works his way back to major conferences.

Boosters and administration care too much to let him in here though. In the end it really has nothing to do with your or my opinion...it's up to the guys/gals in charge and who write the checks.

Yeah I agree our opinions do not matter. I just hope that the people that write the checks are willing to consider his body of work and not his scandal. He has already been out of the game for 2 years. IF Perlman and Dr. Tom think he is a viable candidate, they have MAJOR influence and experience in delegating with NCAA officials. Perlman was chairman of the BCS committee and Osborne in on the new selection committee. They also presented a very good case for Nebraska and orchestrated our move to the Big 10. If they are down, they can make it happen. Who cares too much to let him in here? I am just curious to know what people you are referring to.

Petrino was the face of a much more embarrassing scandal and he was already picked up by Western Kentucky. It is only a matter of time before he makes another move. The only reason Tressel isn't coaching right now is because of the show cause penalty. If the NCAA didn't lay the hammer down he would still be at Ohio State (obviously). He was not forced out by Ohio State, he was forced out by the NCAA. If our administration can present a compelling case to the NCAA I think his penalties can and will be reduced.

http://www.knowitall...re-jim-tressel/

Tressel is in the middle of serving a five year “show-cause” penalty/sentence levied by the NCAA in connection with lying about known violations during an investigation while he was the head coach at Ohio State.

What this means is that any school wanting to hire Tressel would need to “show cause” to the NCAA as to why the school itself should not be sanctioned for hiring him. That alone would likely be an easy case for Nebraska, as they haven’t had any major violations during the Pelini-era and have been a relatively clean program historically. In addition, Tressel would be ineligible to coach the team during the first five games of the season as well as any conference championship or bowl games during his first year.

Read the article for even more reasons why he won't be here....

I agree we don't need Tressel here but why are you reading some hack writer from Bleacher Report?

Well even people you consider hacks can post actual facts in their articles. In this case, he presented facts and a couple opinions that people can agree or disagree with.

So why are you questioning why I'm reading Bleacher Report when the facts presented in the article cannot be refuted? No one would want him as a coach here if he can't take us to the post season. No one would want him as a coach here if he can't coach for half the games in a season. No one wants a magnifying glass hanging over our program (up for debate on whether that would happen or not). Fans and mainly boosters wouldn't stand for it.

I don't want Bo gone at this point but if he were to get the boot, Tressel is numero uno on my want list. Maybe it's just the people I have talked to but it seems to me there are more in the hire Tressel boat than the stay away from him boat. I know plenty of people, myself included, who would still take Tressel regardless of the two reasons you listed. I have confidence that Tressel would bring competent enough assistants with him to run the show in his abscence. Look at all the assistants that are running the show in the abscence of Head coaches this year and doing a damn good job of it (i.e. Jerry Kill, Ed Orgeron). It may not be the best season but I think most people would be willing to give up one season to return to being a great football team again. Granted there are no guarantees that Tressel is the answer but he sure has the resume to back it up and that's a chance I'd be willing to take.

I agree that no one wants a magnifying glass hanging over the program but in a way it could be a good thing. If we are concerned with Tressel committing violations once he's here, what better way to deter that than to have the program under a microscope?

Well, hate to tell you this...but in my opinion it won't ever happen. I'm thinking he has a few years before some minor program from a minor conference picks him up as a coach and he works his way back to major conferences.

Boosters and administration care too much to let him in here though. In the end it really has nothing to do with your or my opinion...it's up to the guys/gals in charge and who write the checks.

Yeah I agree our opinions do not matter. I just hope that the people that write the checks are willing to consider his body of work and not his scandal. He has already been out of the game for 2 years. IF Perlman and Dr. Tom think he is a viable candidate, they have MAJOR influence and experience in delegating with NCAA officials. Perlman was chairman of the BCS committee and Osborne in on the new selection committee. They also presented a very good case for Nebraska and orchestrated our move to the Big 10. If they are down, they can make it happen. Who cares too much to let him in here? I am just curious to know what people you are referring to.

Petrino was the face of a much more embarrassing scandal and he was already picked up by Western Kentucky. It is only a matter of time before he makes another move. The only reason Tressel isn't coaching right now is because of the show cause penalty. If the NCAA didn't lay the hammer down he would still be at Ohio State (obviously). He was not forced out by Ohio State, he was forced out by the NCAA. If our administration can present a compelling case to the NCAA I think his penalties can could and will would be reduced.

~~~ Fify ↑↑unless you know something we don’t! Hehe! :ph34r:

http://www.knowitall...re-jim-tressel/

Tressel is in the middle of serving a five year “show-cause” penalty/sentence levied by the NCAA in connection with lying about known violations during an investigation while he was the head coach at Ohio State.

What this means is that any school wanting to hire Tressel would need to “show cause” to the NCAA as to why the school itself should not be sanctioned for hiring him. That alone would likely be an easy case for Nebraska, as they haven’t had any major violations during the Pelini-era and have been a relatively clean program historically. In addition, Tressel would be ineligible to coach the team during the first five games of the season as well as any conference championship or bowl games during his first year.

Read the article for even more reasons why he won't be here....

I agree we don't need Tressel here but why are you reading some hack writer from Bleacher Report?

Well even people you consider hacks can post actual facts in their articles. In this case, he presented facts and a couple opinions that people can agree or disagree with.

So why are you questioning why I'm reading Bleacher Report when the facts presented in the article cannot be refuted? No one would want him as a coach here if he can't take us to the post season. No one would want him as a coach here if he can't coach for half the games in a season. No one wants a magnifying glass hanging over our program (up for debate on whether that would happen or not). Fans and mainly boosters wouldn't stand for it.

What facts did he post? 5 games out, post season ban? What else was factual in there? Anything we haven't discussed a dozen times over the last couple of weeks on HuskerBoard? Looked like a loaded BS opinion to me. Just out of curiousity...is this another one of your articles your plugging on HB?

Yes, this has to be said. Memes have been made (fact). Articles have been written (fact) (including on this site (fact)). Arguments and rumors have broke out on social media (fact) — all suggesting Jim Tressel receive serious consideration to be the next head coach at Nebraska should Bo Pelini be fired (fact).

First, understand I’m not in favor of firing Pelini)(fact0. His track record, though not enough to satisfy the wants of half of the Nebraska fan base (opinion), is strong enough to keep a job at 99% of all other programs around the country (opinion). It should be good enough to keep his job at Nebraska. (opinion)

Back to Tressel. As most football fans are aware, Tressel is in the middle of serving a five year “show-cause” penalty/sentence levied by the NCAA in connection with lying about known violations during an investigation while he was the head coach at Ohio State (fact).

What this means is that any school wanting to hire Tressel would need to “show cause” to the NCAA as to why the school itself should not be sanctioned for hiring him (fact). That alone would likely be an easy case for Nebraska (opinion), as they haven’t had any major violations during the Pelini-era (fact) and have been a relatively clean program historically (opinion). In addition, Tressel would be ineligible to coach the team during the first five games of the season (fact)as well as any conference championship or bowl games during his first year (fact).

Aside from just those penalties, you need to understand that should Nebraska hire Tressel, the NCAA would be — as the kids say — “all up in Nebraska’s business” (opinion) throughout Tressel’s tenure. Nothing would be private.(opinion) All books would be open.(opinion) We are talking 100% transparency.(opinion) That may not scare some (opinion), but I’m telling you right now that every college football program in the country has secrets (opinion) and skeletons in the closet (opinion). Some are permanent (opinion). Some are imbedded in the way a program operates (opinion). Nebraska is no different (opinion).

Anyone who read the Deadspin piece on the Florida State program last week should understand what I’m talking about (opinion). That sort of stuff happens everywhere (opinion), including Nebraska (opinion) — it’s just a matter of anyone finding out about it (opinion). With the NCAA rooting around campus each and every day (false), violations or not, issues like DUIs, reckless driving, locker room fights that cause season-ending injuries to star players and indecent exposure will no longer be contained (opinion) by the local media in the fishbowl that is Husker Nation. All of the dirty laundry in the Big Red hamper will be hanging out in the open for the nation to see (opinion).

This is the kind of thing that can seriously impact recruiting (opinion) — not nine win seasons and bowl losses. No 18 year old kid will want to be at a place where his every move (opinion) — from birthday cards from family to dinner at Applebee’s with friends — will be combed over by the NCAA. That is exactly what you’ll get when you hire Jim Tressel. (opinion)

Is the Tressel hiring far fetched? I’d like to think so (opinion). But the fact that it’s even a conversation is frightening (opinion), telling me that some people around the program would like to replace a guy with no questions marks in terms of who he is and what he is about (opinion) with a guy who shows up on day one with a giant question mark on his sweater vest.

Let’s think about that before we post another picture of Tressel online photoshopped into Husker gear, joking or not. Husker Nation doesn’t need Jim Tressel’s baggage (opinion) — I don’t care what kind of coach he is. (opinion)

What facts did he post? 5 games out, post season ban? What else was factual in there? Anything we haven't discussed a dozen times over the last couple of weeks on HuskerBoard? Looked like a loaded BS opinion to me. Just out of curiousity...is this another one of your articles your plugging on HB?

Yes, those were the facts.

If we want that for our Cornhuskers then Tressel is an option if Bo is gone. Bottom line is, what program would want that? This question and the concepts surrounding it was the authors opinion.

To have to suffer through 4 cup cake non-con games without a one of the winningest coaches in the game (83% win percentage at OSU), and bowl game? Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I'd say they'll be lined up here shortly. Let's just hope it's not someone we have to play every year.

you have entirely too much time on your hands.

I don't really care if his entire article is factual or not (yes, you do obviously do). He brings up 2 good points that are factual.

1. Tressel comes with baggage.

2. Tressel comes with a big ol microscope wherever he does start back up again. NCAA are buttclowns and they'll make sure to keep an eye peeled on him.

What's the big deal if the article got these two points right? Does it hurt or something? I think it was right and I thought it was an interesting editorial to read. Editorials don't always have to be completely factual...just remember that. And if they aren't completely factual, it doesn't mean the entire editorial is wrong.

Claiming those are facts, like 2+2=4 is where we disagree. Bo carries as much baggage with him every day as Tressel brings. He can't coach a game without 3 cameras following his every move. He gets angry we have 18 photos of it on the front page of a paper. Fan base divided. Different kind of baggage? Yes. Negative impact on program? Yes.

And filling out some paperwork twice a season isn't exactly like a microscope. We still have a compliance department, we still do everything the same way. Send the NCAA some paperwork and we're all good. Don't act like the NCAA is going to hire a dozen guys to sit in Tressel's office every time he meets w/ a recruit. Your "facts" are as BS as the article.

But they are facts. Tressel comes with baggage...he has to serve penalties with the NCAA ...that's a fact.

He's also going to be watched by the NCAA wherever he lands. That's a fact. It's part of his penalties as well.

But hey, keep arguing....it's fun to watch the wall get a dent in it.

I think you are missing the point. Although they are indeed facts. These are not facts that will keep a big school from hiring him if they think the ROI is worth it.

But they are facts. Tressel comes with baggage...he has to serve penalties with the NCAA ...that's a fact.

He's also going to be watched by the NCAA wherever he lands. That's a fact. It's part of his penalties as well.

It's the magnitude of the impact we disagree on. His penalties are a slap on the wrist. Him being watched is really no different than any large BCS conference school. It's not a big deal, you're making it out to be something it's not and claiming the magnitude it beyond the ability of a program to overcome. It really isn't.

I think you are missing the point. Although they are indeed facts. These are not facts that will keep a big school from hiring him if they think the ROI is worth it.

THAT ^ is your opinion. Just like mine is the contrary.

He's not playing it off as fact however.

BTW everyone

http://journalstar.c...3988ab4259.html

Pelini had a favorable review recently and his contract extended to 2017. This happened in Dec of 2012.

As for Nebraska’s assistants, all of them except offensive coordinator Tim Beck, were granted extensions through the 2014 season by Husker athletic director Shawn Eichorst this past February.

Doesn't look like Pelini is going anywhere.

I think it's until 2018 actually (and if by "recently" you mean 11 months and a underwhelming season ago, then yeah)