Great, but long article, about pumping up the SEC bias

lo country

Long article, but worth the read. One guys take on the bias of folks to the SEC and their "perceived" dominance. Talks about the several billion reasons ESPN has to support them. Shows conference to conference match up records and bowl results over the years. NOthing new, but nice to see the statistics and how this boast plays out in the BCS era.

http://www.thepostga...hompson-sec-bcs

Good article. SEC bias is alive and well, but you'll never get ESPN/ABC to admit it. The middling teams of the SEC hold up the top tier teams with the bias in the rankings. The top-end teams of the SEC though are having a great run, and it will eventually end. I believe probably this year, as I don't see anyone beating Florida St. if they continue to play the way that they have.

While I agree there is SEC bias, I'm not sure they aren't deserving of some of it. While I watched Bama/LSU, I thought, wow, these kids would destroy our team. We'd have 50 hung on us and we wouldn't be even able to fight back. I have a feeling most SEC schools would beat us, though.

Mizzou would beat us.

South Carolina would beat us.

UGA would beat us.

Vandy probably would too.

Bama would beat us.

Auburn would beat us.

aTm would beat us.

LSU would beat us.

Ole Miss would likely beat us.

Also, FSU is a fantastic football team but I'd love to see them actually play some competition. So far, they've only played Clemson and Clemson's only "game" was against UGA. The ACC is awful and winning the ACC should not warrant much of anything but I guess you cannot fault them for the schedule they play....or can you?

While I agree there is SEC bias, I'm not sure they aren't deserving of some of it. While I watched Bama/LSU, I thought, wow, these kids would destroy our team. We'd have 50 hung on us and we wouldn't be even able to fight back. I have a feeling most SEC schools would beat us, though.

Mizzou would beat us.

UGA would beat us.

Bama would beat us.

Auburn would beat us.

aTm would beat us.

LSU would beat us.

Also, FSU is a fantastic football team but I'd love to see them actually play some competition. So far, they've only played Clemson and Clemson's only "game" was against UGA. The ACC is awful and winning the ACC should not warrant much of anything but I guess you cannot fault them for the schedule they play....or can you?

tumblr_m17vo4jETH1qgcra2o1_500.gif

I watched FSU destroy both Miami and Clemson. Miami probably wasn't deserving of their ranking, but Clemson is a good team. SEC does not deserve the bias they get. The top teams of the SEC are pretty good, the rest of the conference is like everybody else. The only difference is they have their middle tier teams ranked and everyone else doesn't. This gives them a strength of schedule advantage over everyone else and keeps ESPN's investment safe. I will say that the SEC is a very tight conference. But it's ridiculous to say that a 3 loss Georgia team is ranked, this team jumps into the standings after pummeling Appalachian St.? After losing to Vanderbilt?

Mizzou would beat us.

UGA would beat us.

Bama would beat us.

Auburn would beat us.

aTm would beat us.

LSU would beat us.

68875873_wtf_reaction_gif.gif

I think Florida State is the best team in the country, but Alabama is the defending champion until someone beats them. So I'm hoping we get to see them play in the National Championship game. That will be a hell of a matchup.

The SEC bias is overblown. Their conference champion has beaten the best the rest of the country had to offer seven years in a row. They have four teams that have won a national title since any team from any other conference has won one. So the argument that the conference is overrated rings hollow until someone else starts showing they can beat the best the SEC has to offer.

Mizzou would beat us.

UGA would beat us.

Bama would beat us.

Auburn would beat us.

aTm would beat us.

LSU would beat us.

We're also an average, unranked football team, so I don't know that any of that really matters or proves anything.

I think Florida State is the best team in the country, but Alabama is the defending champion until someone beats them. So I'm hoping we get to see them play in the National Championship game. That will be a hell of a matchup.

The SEC bias is overblown. Their conference champion has beaten the best the rest of the country had to offer seven years in a row. They have four teams that have won a national title since any team from any other conference has won one. So the argument that the conference is overrated rings hollow until someone else starts showing they can beat the best the SEC has to offer.

Except for that one year where we got to watch 2 SEC championship games.

• Fire 5

Their conference champion has beaten the best the rest of the country had to offer seven years in a row.

Except for the fact that other deserving (or even more qualified) teams have gotten left out because of SEC bias.

You might need to elaborate on that because while it happened 1 time (Bama vs LSU II) I think the computers pitted the top 2 schools against each other most of the time. The only other 2 instances that were questionable were Nebraska in the 2002 Rose Bowl and Oklahoma in the 2004 Sugar Bowl.

Their conference champion has beaten the best the rest of the country had to offer seven years in a row.

Except for the fact that other deserving (or even more qualified) teams have gotten left out because of SEC bias.

You might need to elaborate on that because while it happened 1 time (Bama vs LSU II) I think the computers pitted the top 2 schools against each other most of the time. The only other 2 instances that were questionable were Nebraska in the 2002 Rose Bowl and Oklahoma in the 2004 Sugar Bowl.

The SEC has received an automatic bid each year to play in the BCS title game based on perception, while the rest of the conferences have had to fight for the remaining spot.

Year by Year where other conferences had teams w/ same or better record after regular season as SEC participants(s).

2012: 3 teams

2011: 3 teams

2010: 2 Teams

2009: 4 Teams

2008: 6 Teams

2007: 4 Teams

2006: 4 Teams

Yes, the Sec team won those games... but who's to say any of the other teams left out would not have won as well?

I think SEC bias is vastly overstated. They have 1-2 great teams and 4-5 good teams every season. And for the past seven straight seasons, the best they have has beaten the best the rest of the country had. They're seven for seven. And that's not even the result of one super-dominant team winning all of those titles. They have four teams that have won national titles since anyone else from any other conference has won one. That's simple domination.

No doubt the SEC gets a boost from ESPN. But don't they also benefit from the reputation they've earned by racking up national title after national title? At the end of the day, they identify their best team and then that team goes onto a neutral field and beats and often humiliates the best the rest of the country has to offer. So people can whine about bias and complain about how the SEC gets special treatment. But that just sounds like sour grapes. If you want to claim that the SEC is overrated, the best way to do so is to beat them. Then make your argument.