At home coffee

Those fine lees or sediment are an occupational hazard of coffee from a press. That mesh filter just can't get the dust-fine particles out of your coffee, so you're kinda stuck with them unless you use an aeropress like carl showed above, or you use a paper filter in a secondary filtering process (like pouring it through a filter-lined funnel). Of course that'll change the flavor of the coffee a bit, and you'll have to deal with that.

It's all up to what you want/can tolerate. If having that extra flavor is worth it, you put up with the sediment.

Of course, there's always the toddy method, and I'm thinking of giving that a shot here soon. I'm thinking of trying this method, which seems from reports to make a cup as good or better than the press.

Can't believe all of the surrender monkeys in this thread who won't at least call it a "freedom press." This is America, dagnabbit! :lol:

I always thought mine was a Swedish press Sinced I got it at Ikea for $13

Might work better for some of you as I think it only makes 4 cups at a time..(I just started drinking coffee a few years ago and normally take the Summers off and haven't started back up again)...

I still think the best coffee I ever tasted was whole beans boiled in a cast iron fry pan over an open flame at some Christmas party I went to at an outdoor place called Rawhide..(Cowboy coffee?).

As for the coffee grounds, I'm surprised anyone still puts them in a garbage disposal, as much nutrient value for your roses or plants you can scatter them on...The soil is so arid out here I keep thinking about begging some grounds off a local coffee shop like the "Garden Guy" on TV recommended

\upphetta-coffee-tea-maker__0148954_PE307276_S4.JPG

Can't believe all of the surrender monkeys in this thread who won't at least call it a "freedom press." This is America, dagnabbit! :lol:

I always thought mine was a Swedish press Sinced I got it at Ikea for $13

Might work better for some of you as I think it only makes 4 cups at a time..(I just started drinking coffee a few years ago and normally take the Summers off and haven't started back up again)...

I still think the best coffee I ever tasted was whole beans boiled in a cast iron fry pan over an open flame at some Christmas party I went to at an outdoor place called Rawhide..(Cowboy coffee?).

As for the coffee grounds, I'm surprised anyone still puts them in a garbage disposal, as much nutrient value for your roses or plants you can scatter them on...The soil is so arid out here I keep thinking about begging some grounds off a local coffee shop like the "Garden Guy" on TV recommended

\upphetta-coffee-tea-maker__0148954_PE307276_S4.JPG

OK....if you made 4 cups, how do you keep the other three warm until you want to drink it?

We buy fresh green coffee beans. Roast to our preference and enjoy. My wife likes Kenya AA coffee and I'm partial to Sulawesi Toraja. Have never tried a french press but heard that it's the way to go. I use a Black&Decker 1 cup drip coffee maker. We don't drink a lot of coffee maybe 2 cups a day. By roasting our own coffee, we control the amount of coffee we have made on hand and it never goes stale. I roast about once a week. The draw back to this method is it's really, really tough to drink coffee in a restaurant. BLECH

Is it true you can roast the beans in an old Popcorn airpopper?

And..More importantly, Where do you get your beans?

I was interested in making my own green bean extract a little over a year ago and the price always seemed to get too high on the ones I was watching on ebay.. And also not sure my neighbors would leave any shipments I'd get from Columbia alone

We buy fresh green coffee beans. Roast to our preference and enjoy. My wife likes Kenya AA coffee and I'm partial to Sulawesi Toraja. Have never tried a french press but heard that it's the way to go. I use a Black&Decker 1 cup drip coffee maker. We don't drink a lot of coffee maybe 2 cups a day. By roasting our own coffee, we control the amount of coffee we have made on hand and it never goes stale. I roast about once a week. The draw back to this method is it's really, really tough to drink coffee in a restaurant. BLECH

Is it true you can roast the beans in an old Popcorn airpopper?

And..More importantly, Where do you get your beans?

I was interested in making my own green bean extract a little over a year ago and the price always seemed to get too high on the ones I was watching on ebay.. And also not sure my neighbors would leave any shipments I'd get from Columbia alone

There are companies that sell green coffee beans. Burman and others. Ebay is a great source if you are the trusting sort. Just check out their ratings and feedback about the quality of their coffee.

I've heard that air poppers can be used but never have tried one. In the last 6 years I've had two roasters. Each was about $120. Lots of heat decrease life expectancy of the roaster, unless you purchase a $25k commercial unit. :D

I've been tinkering around making coffee in a Kamjove one cup device. It's actually a tea maker, not a coffee maker. Like this one: LINK

Even though it's designed for tea rather than coffee, it makes a pretty good cup of joe. A friend of my wife gave it to me when we visited Kunming in Yunnan province two years ago. She bought me this thing because I was desperate for a cup of java, and I couldn't find a decent coffee shop in all of Kunming, a city of 6 million. (Kunming is a tea trading city. They have an awesome little tea trading district.)

• 3 years later...

xpercolator-with-fruit.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

*BUMP*

I bought an old timey coffee percolator a few days ago. Similar to the one above, but not that brand. It makes AWESOME coffee! Much better than the drip coffee makers that I've always used. :thumbs:

• Fire 1

Nice bump NUance. Forgot about this one.

My wife did get a Keurig about a year and a half ago. I love that thing. It may not produce the high end results of a French press (which I still haven't tried) but it is waaay convenient for my one large mug in the morning and there is a rather large selection of K cup varieties to choose from. The wife and daughter like more foo foo stuff and I tend towards black dark roasts. Some of my favorites are; Laughing Man Columbian Huila, Westrock Kiva and Starbucks Sumatra. I always have one or two boxes of those in the house and will pick up whatever is on sale that looks interesting to experiment. Keurig probably isn't the way to go if you drink 5 or more cups a day at $0.50 or more per K cup. Works really well though for my one extra large mug every morning and the other 6 or 8 cups per week the rest of the family drinks.