Not a Bad Loss

Glendower

I hate to be a negative Nancy, but I totally agree with NUpolo. That was a horrible game in so many ways. We had so many chances and missed opportunities that were blown by nerves, lack of focus, or poor coaching. I'll totally agree that there is a lot to look forward to, but at some point we have to win against good teams in the present.... every year there are great young players developing and things to look forward to. It's been that way every year in Pelini's tenure. And yet every year we are back to this point, patting ourselves on the back because of all the great experience we're getting and all the young talent we have.

Think of Martinez in the beginning. Of Burkhead. I mean, think of Suh and Co. and all the things that could have been. And yet here we are. Still.

At some point I'd like to talk about being dominant force in college football in the present tense, rather than the future.

Been waiting for "next season" since 2007 2003.

Same thing was heard between 1973 and 1993

It may be a valid argument, but out of curiosity do you consider Bo and TO in the same league at all? I'm not seeing it.

I know, they said the same thing about TO vs Devaney.

Osborne's legacy was cemented by the last 5 years of his 25 years as head coach. During Osborne's tenure, such things happened as being blown out by Oklahoma, didn't win the conference (which was comprised of less than 12 teams) and lost 7 straight bowl games. Yet, Osborne was very consistent in his approach. That's how I think most coaches are similar.

The simple fact that this is a thread title speaks volumes. And not one word is good. 14 years without a conference title, and not even a chance to play for it this year. Pathetic schedule and this is the result? 1 win vs teams with a wining record and double digit losses to the 3 teams with winning records. Indefensible.

• Fire 2

Been waiting for "next season" since 2007 2003.

Same thing was heard between 1973 and 1993

It may be a valid argument, but out of curiosity do you consider Bo and TO in the same league at all? I'm not seeing it.

I know, they said the same thing about TO vs Devaney.

Osborne's legacy was cemented by the last 5 years of his 25 years as head coach. During Osborne's tenure, such things happened as being blown out by Oklahoma, didn't win the conference (which was comprised of less than 12 teams) and lost 7 straight bowl games. Yet, Osborne was very consistent in his approach. That's how I think most coaches are similar.

I may be going out on a limb here and am probably wrong, but I'm willing to bet this current staff right now is NOT consistent in their approach, and I think that shows on the field through the team with their wildly erratic play in what seems like week in-week out. Not that it's grounds for a firing, but if this is the case, they need to get it figured out quick. i dont mind losing nearly as much if it happens while we're doing what we do, but a lot of the time, we dont really have any sort of identity of what we want to lean on. I think that style is really starting to play a role in the mentality. Football is a lot of psychology.

I wonder if we just got too caught up in prepping for Michigan State's defense (which we did a heckuva a job doing) that we forgot the fundamentals like holding on to the ball.

Having a hard time judging your context, but here goes.

This sort of thing isnt a problem that just appeared today. it's been hamstringing the program for the better part of half a decade. it's a mental deal. A prepartation thing. It strongly suggests to me that not enough stress is put on those things in practice. it used to be penalties. Then it was tackling. now it's the most simple form of basics like hanging on to the ball, or catching a pitch. It's mind boggling.

i dont think we spent too much time preparing for Sparty's D. I think we spend to much time trying to be multiple and being able to do 3,000 things well instead of picking a dozen things to do great and be great at the basics as well.

I wonder if we just got too caught up in prepping for Michigan State's defense (which we did a heckuva a job doing) that we forgot the fundamentals like holding on to the ball.

This sort of thing isnt a problem that just appeared today. it's been hamstringing the program for the better part of half a decade. it's a mental deal. A prepartation thing. It strongly suggests to me that not enough stress is put on those things in practice. it used to be penalties. Then it was tackling. now it's the most simple form of basics like hanging on to the ball, or catching a pitch. It's mind boggling.

i dont think we spent too much time preparing for Sparty's D. I think we spend to much time trying to be multiple and being able to do 3,000 things well instead of picking a dozen things to do great and be great at the basics as well.

No, you understood me perfectly. And right as I hit post, I remembered that we had 2 fumbles against Michigan. I forgot that and thought that these fumbles were more of an aberration that could have happened as a result of less focus being placed on fundamentals and more time being devoted to focusing on how to move the ball against MSUs defense.

No, you understood me perfectly. And right as I hit post, I remembered that we had 2 fumbles against Michigan. I forgot that and thought that these fumbles were more of an aberration that could have happened as a result of less focus being placed on fundamentals and more time being devoted to focusing on how to move the ball against MSUs defense.

The only turnover of the 5 that I can give Michigan st as a takeaway and not a total gift was the strip of Tommy right before half. And that was sad. Here's Bo and Beck, finally showing their maturity a bit, down by just 6 going to half despite 3 disasteroius turnovers. it's 3rd down and we got Michigan St out of timeouts, all we have to do is run a play, punt and they get the ball, length of the field away, no timeouts and only 10 seconds or so left. We did what we had to do there and ran the safest play possible with no exchanges whatsoever on a qb draw and their guy comes and swipes it out. At that point I just started wondering if it just wasnt meant to be today. But the other ones were 100% on us. No doubt about it.

The only turnover of the 5 that I can give Michigan st as a takeaway and not a total gift was the strip of Tommy right before half. And that was sad. Here's Bo and Beck, finally showing their maturity a bit, down by just 6 going to half despite 3 disasteroius turnovers. it's 3rd down and we got Michigan St out of timeouts, all we have to do is run a play, punt and they get the ball, length of the field away, no timeouts and only 10 seconds or so left. We did what we had to do there and ran the safest play possible with no exchanges whatsoever on a qb draw and their guy comes and swipes it out. At that point I just started wondering if it just wasnt meant to be today. But the other ones were 100% on us. No doubt about it.

Definitely.

Yeah, great loss. What the hell has happened to our program? It's easy to take because you all are used to it and accept mediocrity.

It's a team game and the team gave up 41 points. That's horrible! Now Nebraska is not even going to be in the "Others receiving votes" category. This is a poorly coached team that is not conditioned well and is sorely lacking in depth and talent.

Today's performance was unacceptable. Quit making excuses and look at the big picture. This program is not in good hands.

Losses should sting and they should hurt. They should stay with you throughout the week. Indifference, apathy and back-patting are not traits of a winning football program. I can't believe the drivel I am reading. Nebraska football stands for greatness. A lucky pass over Northwestern and a win eeked out against a horrid Michigan team is not greatness. Nebraska should be dominating this conference and in the top 10-15 every year. I am disgusted at the fans who continue to accept this crap and at the administration who continue to support it. Awful!

Chill pill Red Stripe. Its just a game.

True... the program has been struggling for a decade or so now. But beating a dead horse is not that valuable either. Again... a few good things were out there... Burch, AA, Cross, SJB, RG, among others. Lets see some of the positives too. The defense, overall, played pretty well... now MSU is not good offensively... but still, NU'd D was not bad at all.

And again... enjoy NU football.. it is for entertainment purposes and does not define who we are. Even if NU is not that good, there are still things to be pleased about.

6 years of this crap is enough....wait, more like 14 years. Changes are needed.

This type of season would never have been embraced 10 or even 5 years ago. Moral victories are for losers.

calm down. your hatred is obvious.

Way to not address a single thing I have stated. How does expecting more = hatred? Grow up.

I don't know if people are being intentionally obtuse or what, but there are differences among a) being happy with a loss, b) being happy with 'how things are,' and c) having the capacity to see positives in games that don't have a "W" next to their scores. Just as it was easy to see flaws in the early wins against lesser opponents, it's also possible to see that there has been improvement in losses against better opponents.

• Fire 3

I don't know if people are being intentionally obtuse or what, but there are differences among a) being happy with a loss, b) being happy with 'how things are,' and c) having the capacity to see positives in games that don't have a "W" next to their scores. Just as it was easy to see flaws in the early wins against lesser opponents, it's also possible to see that there has been improvement in losses against better opponents.

I disagree. Playing less crappy is still playing crappy.

Welcome to the world of lesser programs and taking moral victories in losses.