2014 Starting Quarterback

Does Johnny have more speed then TA? I am sure we have been spoiled the last 3.5 years by TMart's elite speed at the position, but TA seems so slow when he keeps on the read option, and other designed runs.

not sure if it is his being hesitant, tentative, fearful of fumbling, or whether he has been told not to run much... or whether he simply is not much for speed or quickness. He certainly does not appear to be a dual threat QB. His running is not overly effective. That said, if it is hesitancy or confidence, then perhaps he'll grow past that. But... to date, he does not look like a guy who will be able to run the ball. But, once more... we do not know the whole story... is there a chance he is being told not to take hits... hold back on the running? Who knows?

"Not overly effectve"? You gotta be kidding me. Tommy's a great runner. He has good size, physicality, and running vision. You're right that he's not Taylor fast, but that doesn't mean he's not a runner. He doesn't look like he's holding back at all.

In terms of having a dual threat QB, the 2nd gear is a luxury. The more important thing is the every down threat to run that you only get with a guy who "knows" running. Tommy falls into that category, minus the 2nd gear.

• Fire 2

i was hoping we weren't going to go full retard...

Against teams with a pulse, Armstrong is a turnover machine. I'm hoping Stanton takes the reins next year.

Well we gave Martinez 3 1/3 years of turning the ball over so I guess it makes sense that you want Armstrong gone already.

I don't care who plays, I just want ball security. But we'll have a sophomore and a redshirt freshman next year for our choices. I'm guessing we'll have issues with either one.

This Armstrong kid has had enough time! He's not the guy. I mean, six games into your freshman year at this level and you still make mistakes. STANTON STANTON STANTON!

Armstrong has done nothing to earn the starting job, other than playing in games.

We need to have a real battle for QB, and let the best player get the job. After a summer of work that might end up being TA. Might not.

"Not overly effectve"? You gotta be kidding me. Tommy's a great runner. He has good size, physicality, and running vision. You're right that he's not Taylor fast, but that doesn't mean he's not a runner. He doesn't look like he's holding back at all.

In terms of having a dual threat QB, the 2nd gear is a luxury. The more important thing is the every down threat to run that you only get with a guy who "knows" running. Tommy falls into that category, minus the 2nd gear.

Agree with this, with the caveat that he might have that second gear, we're just not seeing it right now because the knee isn't 100%. If he keeps running the offense like this and simply limits the turnovers, we'll be in great shape with Tommy for three more years.

Now, if Stanton is better, fantastic. It would be a huge luxury to have a guy like Armstrong as your backup, to come in and competently run the offense if the better starter goes down. Kinda like Tommie and Brook back in the day.

Oddly enough, and this should be enough in its own right to make Stanton the automatic starter next year:

Taylor Martinez started 5-0 as a starter and lost his 6th game.

Tommy Armstrong started 5-0 as a starter and lost his 6th game.

THE RESEMBLANCE IS UNCANNY!

And you never see them in the room together at the same time.