Some questions about this board, this team, these fans, Dirk, Tommy, Bo, expectations for this year, and the future

knapplc

Misplaced angst, and genuine disagreement about the direction of this program and who should lead it.

I don't read everything. I've got certain folks I tend to pay attention to, even some I disagree with. I still value differing opinions. A lot of rehashing simply because it seems we see the same things over and over IMO. Same old stuff.

Why do some people watch NASCAR simply for the wrecks? Why is it so hard to turn your head away from two girls one cup even though you know how wrong it is. Okay that was a joke. People love to bitch. I'm surrounded by it daily. People who don't talk unless it's complaining. I will ask the Lord someday why this is, and I'll try to get back to you. I think, losses give people with agendas a reason to speak. Much like the timing of the tape. Some are trying to accomplish something. I still waver about it to this day.

Offensive line, defense, defense, defense, defense and Ameer Abdullah deserve much more than they are getting.

Best fans in the nation IMO. That game was hard to watch, yet I watched it. I felt the whole time we were going to come back, I truly did. The fans that stayed do deserve credit and I think some players do appreciate it. Some truly don't care. I think the outside noise is focused on and discussed too much by the staff and this team to the point they'd rather not deal with it good or bad honestly. It should not ever be a focus to the proportions it is now. It's part of the current culture and it's a problem.

The Dirk thing, I have no idea honestly. Maybe goes back to the agenda thing. From what I understand Bo and Dirk have not seen eye to eye quite a few times. Dirk may feel a bit of resentment? Why he gets so much time here? Because he supports a lot of the negative points people make with his articles. Some of the points are true.

Tommy played horrible Saturday IMO. Taylor probably wins that game. Abdullah could have won it on his own had we allowed him too. Tommy has skills we have not seen at the QB position in a long time here. Truly a dual threat. I'm excited as hell for him. He's playing like a freshman at times right now, but he approaches the game like a vet. When the rest of the game slows down for him, look out nation, you in trouble. Just my opinion.

Future with Bo? Honestly I think he's already gone, so I'll answer your other question with this. I think he will leave on his own. I think he has already begun the process. I may be way wrong. If I had my choice? I think right now I feel like if he just let go of some of the inexperience on his staff and brought in some guys who have coached on this level before he would benefit greatly. He needs an outside voice, maybe even relinquish control of the defense or allow some alterations. He could save this thing.

Six years might not be,long enough to get it all fixed. It's long enough to fix the problems we've seen for years though. We keep talking about the same problems.

71% not bad. There's some stock in the argument about who those wins come against though whether folks like to admit it or not. Let's start winning those big ones. Let's win some we aren't supposed to win and stop losing the one we should never lose.

Replacing Bo is a job I thankfully get to say is not my duty. There are people with a lot of experience with fat pockets that get to decide these things. Funny thing is, we won't know how easy it was until we are a few years into the new guys career. If that happens.

If Boise can do it, so can we. And Boise isn't the only ones who have reached higher than us with less. This program has everything to offer. Lincoln is a great college city. Top ten every year? Probably not. Top five once, brief stints there...some BCS conversation. A single digit beside our name again at some point? Top 25 on a regular basis....why can't we? Top 15 would even be fun if we could stay there awhile. We get there, and we choke.

Four losses a year will jeapordize the sellout streak. Not because they should or shouldn't, but because I think it's clear our fan base feels they can do better. The evidence is already substantial that folks are not prepared to watch this team struggle like it did Saturday. Just look at the stands in the fourth quarter. Get rid of the ugly stuff, the stupid stuff, make fans feel like If they leave they might miss a win. I think most just want to be competitive and play good sound football.........

With our schedule, expectations were high, add in the scoring explosion junk we all heard...ugh. I counted UCLA as a loss before the year, then I saw the first half and said holy sh#t we got this! Holy sh#t.....was right. Minnesota....ha! The flashes of brilliance we have seen from this team only make the losses harder. Simply because we know we can play better!

2011 Taylor? I almost forgot what that looks like. He was explosive. Turnovers might still be a problem at times, but no more than they have been with the new guy. 2011 Taylor with this years Northewstern, Michigan and Michigan state defense......yep, this season is brighter. I'd even take a healthy Taylor in that Michigan state game this year. We may have won it.

I'll always be a Husker. True to the Red......Always.

There is no number where I say enough, I can be a fan of this team, I can love this program and what it stands for, I can respect our history and tradition, and still not be a fan of the head coach. To me the two are not mutually exclusive. It is crap to think I only love this University because of the guy that coaches this football team. I loved it before Bo was here, and I'll love it if he leaves. I just want someone to figure out why things like Saturday happened and why it's become a pattern. If Bo can do that and turn this thing around, then I have his back. I just want to win football games.

• Fire 1

I don't know that you can point to anything in the past 3 years or so and say, yes, we can hang our hat on THAT.

There definitely is.

The vague answers to convey superior intellect are getting quite old, sir.

Vague answers almost never convey superior intellect. Direct answers, however, do

I don't know that you can point to anything in the past 3 years or so and say, yes, we can hang our hat on THAT.

There definitely is.

The vague answers to convey superior intellect are getting quite old, sir.

Vague answers almost never convey superior intellect. Direct answers, however, do

Is it remotely possible our talent level has not only consistently improved.....but possibly greatly improved.....in the past two years specifically? We currently have a certain defensive end who leads the conference in sacks and TFL. He's a sophomore. There's a guy on the other side who's not bad himself. Just two small examples of the "that" we can hang our hats on.

Is it remotely possible our talent level has not only consistently improved.....but possibly greatly improved.....in the past two years specifically? We currently have a certain defensive end who leads the conference in sacks and TFL. He's a sophomore. There's a guy on the other side who's not bad himself. Just two small examples of the "that" we can hang our hats on.

And before this season we were hanging our hats on an offense full of weapons and an easy schedule.

And before last season we were hanging our hats on a veteran defense.

There's always going to be something that we can be hopeful about for the upcoming year, but I haven't seen a strong foundation that's been built - we have nothing like the explosive athleticism and spread attack (and recruiting) of an Ohio State or an established power running game like Wisconsin. No continued success in any area that would have me believe that we have a strong program that's headed towards big success.

And before this season we were hanging our hats on an offense full of weapons and an easy schedule.

And before last season we were hanging our hats on a veteran defense.

There's always going to be something that we can be hopeful about for the upcoming year, but I haven't seen a strong foundation that's been built - we have nothing like the explosive athleticism and spread attack (and recruiting) of an Ohio State or an established power running game like Wisconsin. No continued success in any area that would have me believe that we have a strong program that's headed towards big success.

Yep, you started your first two sentences referring to what we thought going into the season. I'm referring to what we are currently seeing on the field.....which are resulting from a dedicated focus on recruiting. You indicated you saw nothing from the past 3 years to hang your hat on......you can hang (or not hang) your hat wherever you like. I believe recruiting is one of the most important things and Pelini has done a great job in this important area.

I kind of thought this litany of questions, and everyones version of their answer(s) is what was filling up all these topics on Huskerboard. However, the OP did posit maybe few questions that have not been dealt with in great detail elsewhere. I sure don't have all the answers nor can I speak for what other people focus on or post.

I guess I have not focused on the awesome job AA, our O line, or our defense in general did this week because we lost a game we could have easily won with 3 or 4 less turnovers. I guess losing a game we should have won takes some of the luster off of the bright points. I will always be a Husker fan. I may get frustrated or even get to the point where I'm just not as interested (like I was during much of the Callahan era) but deep down I will always wish for the best for our program. There are times where I really would like to give it up, but I just can't.

"Why is HuskerBoard made up of pretty smart, pretty reasonable, pretty decent folks, but after a loss they all turn on each other and start bickering and griping at each other? Misplaced angst."

Because we're family. We've all got sisters, brothers, moms, dads, cousins, aunts/uncles that act just like the folks here on the board. Using Coach Pelini's signature phrases: "But at the end of the day" we're all still Husker fans and we still love this team. We all have the same goal in mind: to be a competitive football team win or lose. GBR!

(Nice post Knap!)

I haven't been posting much lately but I haven't been away from the board. I've been lurking and reading and just in kind of a state of amazement for the last couple of days.

I haven't read everything. I've skipped over a lot of B.S. - you know, kinda like most people do when I post some 900-word diatribe that a smarter person could have summed up in one sentence. :P A lot of what's been posted here has been just people blowing off steam and not worth the read (but nor your posts - you know I read every one, and was amazed by the points you were making just don't tell anyone else 'cause they'll be jealous).

So after 48 hours or so have passed, and this board is still busily consuming itself from within, I have a few questions. P'raps you all could help me out with some answers.

Why is HuskerBoard made up of pretty smart, pretty reasonable, pretty decent folks, but after a loss they all turn on each other and start bickering and griping at each other? Misplaced angst?

Why does so much of what's posted just turn into this cyclone of rehashed, reheated old conversations? Do we just not read each others' posts and focus on our own brilliant points? Or do we not care, and just go through the conversations as a matter of exercise... something to do?

Why does traffic quadruple after losses around here? Why are we so much better at voicing our displeasure than our joy?

Why are the positives from Michigan State (and there are TONS) being ignored in the larger self-flagellation multiconversation going on right now?

Where are all the threads praising that Offensive Line for playing their asses off, despite more injuries than cats have lives, despite facing the toughest defense they'll see all year? That's a really, real, serious question. Where the hell are the "Holy Crap, we just rushed for more yards than Michigan State's last five opponents combined, and we're the only team to rush for more than 100 yards on this team all year!!!1!1!!" threads?

Where the hell is the love for Ameer Abdullah? Why isn't the fact that he had 100 yards rushing in three quarters against a team that hadn't given up a 100-yard rushing effort all season being gushed about?

How about some praise for the fans, who, after witnessing a disastrous three-turnover performance in the first ten minutes of the game, were still making a hell of a lot of noise deep into the fourth quarter? I haven't been looking at the Twitter - have any players come out and thanked the fans, most of whom stayed until after the final gun, for their support?

Why is Dirk Chatelain the only reporter named by name on this forum?

Does anyone think Dirk (or the OWH) is employing someone to post about his articles, especially when we lose? Isn't it just a bit odd?

Is Dirk the harbinger of Husker doom? Doesn't it seem like Sam McKewon and Sipple tend to write, and write very well, about the team when things are going well, but when the chips are down, that's when Dirk shines? It's not about "is Dirk right/wrong," but that's an observation I think worth making.

Tell me that's not odd.

Does anyone else really not care that Tommy is having a rough go of it as a Redshirt Freshman only six games into his career (for all intents and purposes)?

Does anyone else get a deja vu feeling about watching Freshman Tommy play, kinda like another Freshman Tommie back in the day? No pressure of unreasonable expectations here, just a serious question.

If this is Tommy at his worst (5-1 and a few ugly turnovers), am I the only one who's unreasonably excited for this kid's future? Like, screw-this-season-and-all-its-woes-excited?

Speaking of the future, is Bo a part of it, and if so, how much support will you give him? If he's here next year, how many conditions does that support have? Who has to go?

How easy do you honestly think it will be to replace Bo?

How much pants-pooping will be going on in Husker Nation if Bo takes a job of his own accord in December, leaving Nebraska to search for a coach not by our own choice, but his? Those of you who truly want Bo gone, do you want him gone under our volition or his? Or as long as he's gone, that's all that matters?

Isn't six years really long enough to get this mess figured out, even if it is your first-ever head coaching gig?

Isn't a 71% winning percentage pretty decent?

Isn't six years long enough to figure out how to not have massive meltdowns on nationwide broadcasts?

Speaking of the future, with the kids you're watching play football for Nebraska right now, are you more or less excited for next year, and the year after, than you were in July of this year?

How realistic is it to expect Nebraska to be a top-ten contender on a regular basis in today's college football climate?

If Boise State can do it, why can't we?

Are four losses a year bad enough to jeopardize the Sellout Streak?

What were your expectations for this season, how realistic were they, and do you think they should be modified based on the evidence we see on the field?

What would this team's record be, right now, with 2011 Taylor Martinez starting every game? Would we have lost to Michigan State?

Are you going to continue to be a Husker fan if Nebraska loses four games a year for the next ten years, and at least one of them is a blowout loss?

If 'yes' to the above, how many losses a year, and for how many years, would it take for you to say "enough?"

All things considered, right now, are you glad you're a Husker fan?

Holy crap that's a lot to digest. But here we go...(on a few, at least)

Boise State doesn't play anyone.

I would suspect that many Husker fans like to get out and celebrate wins, and it's just easier to sulk in front of a computer when the losses come. Misery loves company.

AA is having himself a nice season. Unfortunately, injuries are just decimating him. (The line, of course). It's kind of like Taylor's amazing run last year vs Wiscy...no one really seems to notice what you do when you lose the game. It's a shame, but...reality. Kudos knapplc about the rush game. Ameer,, IMO, is going to have to play out of his mind the rest of the way. Kenny Bell just doesn't look healthy, Q can't catch anything anymore, and Jamal out, somehow Beck needs to sort out some sort of running attack without it being completely obvious. Not sure how that pans out.

I read Dirk's articles all the time. I think he's got some good insight, but also an agenda. Fine. I also know that if I was forced to pay $1 to read the OWH online per week....Couldn't care less. There are so many media outlets that offer more info than the same ol' that the papers offer, it isn't even funny. Newspapers are quickly going the way of snail mail.

I've posted several comments about Bo possibly being dismissed. At this stage, I'm not for or against him. I'm as frustrated as anyone else. I realize it is a microcosm of the situation, but Bo didn't cause 5 turnovers. Nebraska could've won that game -2. -5? With that field position? Not a shot in hell.

I'm trying to decide if you were fishing for trolls in your question about being glad to be a Husker fan, or if you were seriously wondering. I was a UNL student from '95 to '99. Went to the Orange Bowl when we beat Miami for the National Championship. Had a great time in Lincoln with friends when we won it the next year. I also sat through the agony of the loss to Texas in the snow. Bought $20 tickets to watch NU go down 38-0 at halftime vs OSU...for homecoming in 2007. Highs and lows. But I will ALWAYS be glad I'm a Husker fan. It will never change, and I would rather die than change my opinion on that.