Corey Cooper and "the push"

Bo Pelini,as quoted in the OWH, is not angry at Coop for his apparent whif on PSU TE touchdown catch and run down the sideline. He mention Coop was afraid to tackle him because he thought the TE stepped out and if he tackled him a penalty would tack on extra yards. Thoughts?

I think Bo is right and Coop was thinking on the fly. If Coop makes the tackle, he'd bring the guy down out of bounds which draws flags like crazy these days! Smart thinking by Coop but poor end result.

What's the worst that happens if Cooper does tackle the guy when the play is over? 15 yards tacked on to the end of the play.

What's the worst that happens if Cooper gives him a half hearted push and the ball carrier runs through it? A touchdown.

Everybody from Pelini on down to us here at the forum can make their own decisions on what would be the right course of action...

Pelini just covering for him because he doesn't want to rip him to the papers.

You can still push him enough to get all the way out of bounds and be fine. Cooper has made a few plays but he really isn't that great of a safety.

He is head and shoulders better than last years group. He isn't flashy, but solid. I dont mind him back there at all.

Bowfin does have a point here, though. Bo's explanation doesn't really hold water.

But in the heat of the moment Dude, you have to look at if from the player's perspective. he makes a split second decision of trying to tackle the guy without a penalty. Bottom line is, it's always easier to sit here on Sunday and criticize for a game speed decision-or lack thereof-when we really dont know how hard it really is to be a defender these days.

I wish he'd a blown his ass up too. But it appeared that Cooper was thinking too much. But I cant over fault him for playing that way with the way the game is officiated anymore. And I certainly won't use it to put any knock on yesterday's defensive performance. It was pretty solid top to bottom.

What's the worst that happens if Cooper does tackle the guy when the play is over? 15 yards tacked on to the end of the play.

What's the worst that happens if Cooper gives him a half hearted push and the ball carrier runs through it? A touchdown.

Everybody from Pelini on down to us here at the forum can make their own decisions on what would be the right course of action...

Maybe the problem was Cooper was thinking through the scenarios instead of making the tackle.

Bowfin does have a point here, though. Bo's explanation doesn't really hold water.

But in the heat of the moment Dude, you have to look at if from the player's perspective. he makes a split second decision of trying to tackle the guy without a penalty. Bottom line is, it's always easier to sit here on Sunday and criticize for a game speed decision-or lack thereof-when we really dont know how hard it really is to be a defender these days.

I wish he'd a blown his ass up too. But it appeared that Cooper was thinking too much. But I cant over fault him for playing that way with the way the game is officiated anymore. And I certainly won't use it to put any knock on yesterday's defensive performance. It was pretty solid top to bottom.

Play through the whistle.