Could Crouch have won this year's Heisman?

81 NU Alum

The Heisman is flawed. It goes to the best player on the best TEAM....unfortunately
The most-hyped QB or RB on one of the best teams get you there 95% of the time.

Very true. I'm not saying Lynch should win the award, but just stating the facts about it.

I'm with you. I actually haven't gotten to see him play this year but from all accounts he's very good. Only issue is competition level. Their toughest game this year has been Iowa who is no slouch but he was good but probably not great in that game.

I quit caring about the Heisman when E George won it over Frazier.

I was happy crouch won it, he deserved it, he was unstoppable that year, and think he would dominate in any era (speed, toughness, and willpower never go out of style).

But since Suh didn't it, I consider it almost a 3rd rate award. It just doesn't have any cache for me personally because its bullsh#t on the voting.

The Heisman today is less about merit and more about ESPN's influence. So no, I don't think Crouch would win today. It's sad to say that but it just wouldn't happen.

Is it just me or has ESPN really been pumping the Heisman the last couple of years? I know they show the ceremony, and that is probably why, but they just talk about it constantly. I just don't think anyone cares that much.

The Heisman today is less about merit and more about ESPN's influence. So no, I don't think Crouch would win today. It's sad to say that but it just wouldn't happen.

Is it just me or has ESPN really been pumping the Heisman the last couple of years? I know they show the ceremony, and that is probably why, but they just talk about it constantly. I just don't think anyone cares that much.

This link should tell you all you need to know about how ESPN influences and distorts the Heisman. Look at #12 on the "Experts Picks". Myles Jack. A freshman RB/LB that has only played in 3 games this year.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman/index

Do you remember when ESPN was pumping Suh over the sainted Tim Tebow for Heisman?

They did.

But you probably don't remember it that way.

And Tommie Frazier coming in second in the Heisman voting was actually a testament to Tommie and the Heisman voters. He didn't have anywhere near Heisman-caliber stats. Not by 1995 standards and certainly not by today's. All he did was win. Voters were honoring his career as much as the season (in which he had incredible support). That couldn't quite put him over the top, but coming in #2 was no insult.

If you are a fan of Tommie Frazier, you would have to vote A.J. Mccarron as this year's slam-dunk Heisman winner.

This link should tell you all you need to know about how ESPN influences and distorts the Heisman. Look at #12 on the "Experts Picks". Myles Jack. A freshman RB/LB that has only played in 3 games this year. http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman/index

Huh? Myles Jack is a good story. Playing both offense and defense and putting up good numbers as a Freshman. The ESPN poll gives him a grand total of one fourth place vote. How is this distortion and/or influence?

Sometimes the ESPN paranoia around here has a tin foil hat quality.

Crouch couldn't have won the Heisman any year other than the year he did.

Sad but true.

But wrong. How about the year that Ingram won it? You knock Crouch all the time and I don't understand why. The guy was one of the all-time greats. Too damn bad he had so many issues with his throwing shoulder.

I don't know if he's wrong. I've seen a lot of talking heads say Crouch is the weakest modern Heisman winner. I hate hearing it, but his stats aren't eye popping.

Crouch couldn't have won the Heisman any year other than the year he did.

Sad but true.

But wrong. How about the year that Ingram won it? You knock Crouch all the time and I don't understand why. The guy was one of the all-time greats. Too damn bad he had so many issues with his throwing shoulder.

I don't know if he's wrong. I've seen a lot of talking heads say Crouch is the weakest modern Heisman winner. I hate hearing it, but his stats aren't eye popping.

I guess I don't get too caught up in stats like most on this board. I look at who I think the best player is in college FB. Exactly why I thought Suh was most deserving of the Heisman in 2009. Just because a QB doesn't run an offense that puts up gaudy stats doesn't mean he's not the best player in the country. It's really too bad that it's become that.

Ganz, Zac Taylor, TMart have all put up impressive stats compared to our QBs of the past. But I'd take Crouch, Frost and Frazier over all of them. They just ran offenses where big #s weren't going to happen. But the guys were all leaders, great players and critical to our success.