This needs to be Pelini's last game as our coach

SUPERBUNNY

So for all of you that say he should be fired or gone, what is your recomendationn for replacement? I mean he has his issues but he has won 9 games a season for six years, what coach in his right mind would sign up to coach us if we fire a coach that wins 9 a season.

not our job to find his replacement.

but if a coach is too afraid to follow in bo's footsteps, then we do not want that coach here.

So for all of you that say he should be fired or gone, what is your recomendationn for replacement? I mean he has his issues but he has won 9 games a season for six years, what coach in his right mind would sign up to coach us if we fire a coach that wins 9 a season.

not our job to find his replacement.

but if a coach is too afraid to follow in bo's footsteps, then we do not want that coach here.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

with the schedule we have, injuries or not, we should have been 10-2 or better right now. Take away the last second heroics against NW ad PSU, we are easily a 6-6 team right now. I don't think any coach worth their salt would be afraid of taking this job.

And Taylor Martinez was directly responsible for 2 of the losses by lying to the coaching staff on the extent of his injuries.

#1 - The nine wins argument meant something when teams were only playing 10-11 games a season. Most teams play 13-14 games a season now, including championship games.

#2 - Kirby Smart of Alabama is a pretty smart guy. Doug Nussmeier of Bama is too. There is Scott Frost (longshot IMHO), Chad Morris of Clemson. At the NFL level (all longshots), you've got Bill Cowher (don't laugh, the guy is a hard nosed FB coach), Jon Gruden.

The obvious grab would be Craig Bohl from ND State up north. The guy is from Lincoln, played at Lincoln, used to coach at Lincoln, understands the mindset of fans in Nebraska. Doesn't hurt that the guy is a pretty damn good head coach where he is right now, with hard nosed football on both sides of the ball. Did I mention that the guy has won 2 nattys at the FCS level, is 11-0 right now, has a 39-2 record since 2011, and has won over 75% of his games in 11 years as the HC?

with the schedule we have, injuries or not, we should have been 10-2 or better right now. Take away the last second heroics against NW ad PSU, we are easily a 6-6 team right now. I don't think any coach worth their salt would be afraid of taking this job.

And Taylor Martinez was directly responsible for 2 of the losses by lying to the coaching staff on the extent of his injuries.

To put blame on Martinez for both losses wouldn't be wise. Should he have been more forthcoming in letting the coaches know how bad he was hurting? Yes.

I find it hard to fault a 5th year senior for wanting to play so badly that he would try to tough it out for himself and his teammates. Might things have gone differently with Armstrong/Kellogg? Maybe. But it's a big question mark. I appreciate Taylor trying to play through and really hope he's healthy enough for the bowl game.

Imagine a healthy Martinez, Ameer and Newby running that read option triple option that the team ran today... would be one helluva task to stop that kind of triple threat for a full game.

The obvious grab would be Craig Bohl from ND State up north. The guy is from Lincoln, played at Lincoln, used to coach at Lincoln, understands the mindset of fans in Nebraska. Doesn't hurt that the guy is a pretty damn good head coach where he is right now, with hard nosed football on both sides of the ball. Did I mention that the guy has won 2 nattys at the FCS level, is 11-0 right now, has a 39-2 record since 2011, and has won over 75% of his games in 11 years as the HC?

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

There's a reason Craig Bohl is a good FCS coach.

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

Some guy named James Tressel would beg to differ with your opinion, sir.

You do know that Jim Tressel actually had success on a FBS level, right?

And who would he bring as a recruiter? That is where we fail. Bringing in a unknown( to the kids ) would not light the recruiting on fire. He might come in and improve the game, and we see a game or two better, but would be able to bring in the top talent to compete with top BCS level teams. The play off will make recruiting even more important.

Any coach looking at Bo's overall record, against a host of cupcakes, mid level teams is pretty good, against BCS upper tier he is not competitive overall. That is where a good coach would say, I can play with those guys, I can do better than that. If he would not say that, he is not what we are looking for.

Personally I think the coach has already been found if we are moving on. It will be a proven HC at the BCS level. Otherwise, I do not see a change being made.

You cannot fear change, we fly now, if we had not changed where would we be. There are better coaches out there, that would love to coach at Nebraska. We just need to find them.

My wife has a friend, her husband beats her, she will not leave, justifies it on a daily basis. Afraid things will get worse.

Strive every day for improvement, be it on the field or on the staff. Nothing is free.

You're confusing me. Jim Tressel was the head coach at Youngstown State (FCS). He won four championships at that level. He replaced John Cooper at Ohio State. Won a national championship, played in two others (total of 8 BCS games). What am I missing from your argument?

Ironically, John Cooper went 4-6-1 in his first season, 7-4-1 in 1990, and 6-6 in his 2nd to last season. All other seasons? won more than 8 games in a season. He coached some guy named Mark Pelini, I believe...

Edited by alexhortdog95

To put blame on Martinez for both losses wouldn't be wise. Should he have been more forthcoming in letting the coaches know how bad he was hurting? Yes.

I find it hard to fault a 5th year senior for wanting to play so badly that he would try to tough it out for himself and his teammates. Might things have gone differently with Armstrong/Kellogg? Maybe. But it's a big question mark. I appreciate Taylor trying to play through and really hope he's healthy enough for the bowl game.

Imagine a healthy Martinez, Ameer and Newby running that read option triple option that the team ran today... would be one helluva task to stop that kind of triple threat for a full game.

I totally agree.

While I appreciate TM for all the great things he has done, I also (in my opinion) fault him (and his father) with putting himself above the team to earn a higher NFL draft position.

I am positive that his lying to the staff insures that he will not play a snap in the bowl game.

You're confusing me. Jim Tressel was the head coach at Youngstown State (FCS). He won four championships at that level. He replaced John Cooper at Ohio State. Won a national championship, played in two others (total of 8 BCS games). What am I missing from your argument?

Ironically, John Cooper went 4-6-1 in his first season, 7-4-1 in 1990, and 6-6 in his 2nd to last season. All other seasons? won more than 8 games in a season. He coached some guy named Mark Pelini, I believe...

Fair enough. I just don't like the hire as much as I would some other hires, including Tressel himself.

I totally agree.

While I appreciate TM for all the great things he has done, I also (in my opinion) fault him (and his father) with putting himself above the team to earn a higher NFL draft position.

I am positive that his lying to the staff insures that he will not play a snap in the bowl game.

You're quite possibly 100% correct about TM and his dad pulling some strings (more so his dad, I'm not sure Taylor would try and pull that). That said, this season was going to be his last as a quarterback and potentially last season of football [unsure of NFL/CFL prospects]. I can't blame him for wanting to compete and put himself out on a line to play and win.

I wonder if that option deal was a part of Beck's master plan at the beginning of the year or if it's come along lately? I wish they would've tried to do a little more of that with that pistol formation too... next year == Taylor/Cross, Armstrong, Newby, Ameer and then a fake for a pass to Bell or Allen. Not sure about anyone else but that could make for one scary good setup.