Bo Pelini, from a player’s parents eyes.

icedavis

I don't think anyone has ever doubted that the players and their families are enamored with Bo. The point has always been that those folks are only part of the equation, and the fans are another part. If Bo can be warm and cuddly to these folks, there's no reason he can't show at least a modicum of that side of his personality to the fans. Not only does he choose not to, but the impression most get is that he views us as part of "them," the enemy.

Bo is out working hard to recruit these players and their families, and that's great. He needs to spend some time recruiting the fans, too. Without us he isn't earning that $3 million a year.

So the question becomes which is more important. Being a coach like Bo, winning 8-10 games a year with an run of 11-12 wins a time or two every 10-12 years (assuming that becomes the pattern for this argument) and hopefully have some things break and get a shot at a NC every 15-20. Or being a D-bag coach who cuts players if they can't crack the 2 deep on schollies, only care about the system (but winning 10-12 games every year) bending the rules and leaving your players out to dry when life gets tough for them because they are "men" and should be able to figure it out on their own? Same bristly attitude toward media and fans? Because honestly every coach with the exception of one or two in the top 10-15 right now have that rep in their community.

How many coaches are out there that win 10-12 games every year regardless of if they are d-bags or not? And of those coaches, how are we so sure that any of them are even a legitimate option for us? I'm not saying Pelini is the only guy for us, but I think we sometimes think that 10-12 wins are a given with other coaches. Those 10-12 win guys are in high demand by everyone.

I don't think there is a 10-12 win every year guy out there at all. No one has demonstrated that ability. And I don't think there is a better guy for Nebraska that would come to Nebraska currently in football. That might change in 5 years.

I don't give a sh#t how Bo treats the fans or views us. What really matters is how the players and their families are dealt with and results on the field. Hardly anyone would really care much about his attitude toward the fans if he was winning titles, etc. But he's not, and so it's an issue. Talk about double standards.

• Fire 9
Just shows what the media won't normally ever report on- Bo truly cares about the kids he recruits/families and is not the A-hole out of control jerk the media would like us to believe- also, to those fans that want him to "show" them his love....really? get over it already, the man is who he is and the comment he made about our fan base was correct- when you leave the stadium before the game is completed, and you call the QB a dirty Mexican, twitter Kenny Bell and tell him he sucks, as a group of people you suck and Bo was right- the fans who don't do those things tend to think Bo is a great guy and know who he is talking about when he says disparaging things

I don't do any of those things.

Bo Pelini still needs to improve.

• Fire 1

Hardly anyone would really care much about his attitude toward the fans if he was winning titles, etc. But he's not, and so it's an issue. Talk about double standards.

Who says that it doesn't have an effect on the winning of titles or lack thereof?

This is a sport played by human beings, after all. It's important to remember that this team doesn't perform on paper or in a vaccuum. The coaches and players have individual and collective thoughts, moods, psyche, emotions, etc. that are influenced by their environment.

• Fire 1

Its obvious that Bo sucks, is a horrible person, average coach and a bully to geeky little reporters who twist his words, looks funny when he yells, has a naturally pissed off look about him. So we need to find someone who isn't any of that. But who is out there thats better and doesn't have any of the flaws that we don't like? Be honest people are looking for change for the sake of change not because its justified. You put up damn near any coach and the critics can reel off a list. Hell...everyone loved Billy C when he came because he was great with the media and told recruits what they wanted to hear and brought in high starts. Well...when it got tough he lashed out, called people names, said we were a stupid fan base oh and his teams were trouble. Even Frank was way different on camera than off. Off he's very charming buddy, buddy, etc. The lights turn on and he became stiff and had a deer in the head lights look. TO same thing. Bobby D was a slut, drank and cursed. Zero were perfect.

Look at the legendary coaches out there. Almost everyone to a T had PR issues. Don't get me wrong. Do I wish Bo had more used car salesmen in him at times. Sure I do, but I'm not going to write him off because he pissed off the Omaha media when they attacked him first.

• Fire 5

I don't give a sh#t how Bo treats the fans or views us. What really matters is how the players and their families are dealt with and results on the field. Hardly anyone would really care much about his attitude toward the fans if he was winning titles, etc. But he's not, and so it's an issue. Talk about double standards.

+1000

You're always going to have a minority of fans that are shitheads. That can't be changed, and they will probably exist no matter who is coaching. They're the ones that cause these issues, if those issues even really exist. Most fans still come to the stands and cheer, etc, and don't treat the players like sh#t. So yeah, it's not really an issue.

Just shows what the media won't normally ever report on- Bo truly cares about the kids he recruits/families and is not the A-hole out of control jerk the media would like us to believe- also, to those fans that want him to "show" them his love....really? get over it already, the man is who he is and the comment he made about our fan base was correct- when you leave the stadium before the game is completed, and you call the QB a dirty Mexican, twitter Kenny Bell and tell him he sucks, as a group of people you suck and Bo was right- the fans who don't do those things tend to think Bo is a great guy and know who he is talking about when he says disparaging things

I don't think anyone would say he doesn't need to improve. I think what unfair is writing someone off because we're uncomfortable with his faults that. Honestly nearly everyone agrees he is different in the media portrayal than in one on one accounts with his team and people who are with him daily. Which is more likely to be true?

Where did I say Bo is perfect? sure he needs to improve, I'm just of the opinion, like da skers that some of our fans act like entitled little girls, Bo needs to focus on the punt return teams, and making better decisions on when to burn redshirts not on wiping the nose of some fan who thinks he's a big meanie because he curses and yells- fact is these same SOB's will be at the stadium next year booing the QB and yelling that Bo sucks at the first sign of a struggle-I wish they'd stay home so maybe I wouldn't have to stand sideways

I don't think anyone would say he doesn't need to improve. I think what unfair is writing someone off because we're uncomfortable with his faults that. Honestly nearly everyone agrees he is different in the media portrayal than in one on one accounts with his team and people who are with him daily. Which is more likely to be true?

Yes, this. And I'll add: Who the in the helll doesn't need to improve themselves both personally and professionally?

Truly not understanding the overreaction here. It's a simple concept - Bo expects the fans to show up and cheer 60 minutes a game. The fans should expect the coach that wants that to not be a dick to them.

I am completely with you. Miles makes the fans feel like they are part of the program and they are needed to win games. Bo makes the fans feel like they are an obstacle to winning.