Bo Pelini, from a player’s parents eyes.

icedavis

People are asking where Bo has lashed out at the fans, and that's a good point. The tape released after the UCLA game is somewhat of an example. It's something in the past, and we all know there was some asinine agenda behind it being released, and nobody thinks Bo has had that kind of attitude toward the fans now. I think it's safe to say Bo has never expressed thanks and support of the fans to the same degree he expressed his disapproval in that tape, though.

I don't know. If microphones were running around him 24/7 and the right agenda was ripe......a tape of him saying something extraordinary about the fans is quite possible.....safe might be a stretch.

Sorry - Knapp...totally not taking sides nor am I attacking you. Just keep responding to your posts for whatever reason......and playing devil's advocate.

I still maintain that the angst, the warmth and all things Bo vs Fans/Media is somewhere near the middle of the extremes folks keep expressing.

People are asking where Bo has lashed out at the fans, and that's a good point. The tape released after the UCLA game is somewhat of an example. It's something in the past, and we all know there was some asinine agenda behind it being released, and nobody thinks Bo has had that kind of attitude toward the fans now. I think it's safe to say Bo has never expressed thanks and support of the fans to the same degree he expressed his disapproval in that tape, though.

I don't know. If microphones were running around him 24/7 and the right agenda was ripe......a tape of him saying something extraordinary about the fans is quite possible.....safe might be a stretch.

Sorry - Knapp...totally not taking sides nor am I attacking you. Just keep responding to your posts for whatever reason......and playing devil's advocate.

I still maintain that the angst, the warmth and all things Bo vs Fans/Media is somewhere near the middle of the extremes folks keep expressing.

This is where I'm at, actually. I'm playing a smidge of Devil's Advocate in this thread myself. I agree that the vast, vast majority of peoples' opinions are in the middle.

• Fire 1

I'd disagree. He came out several times before and after and stated their passion is what makes this job great even though sometimes difficult. He's done it about 5 or 6 times but its hasn't been the focal point of any stories because it dose not sell papers, get listeners or viewers.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted that the players and their families are enamored with Bo. The point has always been that those folks are only part of the equation, and the fans are another part. If Bo can be warm and cuddly to these folks, there's no reason he can't show at least a modicum of that side of his personality to the fans. Not only does he choose not to, but the impression most get is that he views us as part of "them," the enemy.

Bo is out working hard to recruit these players and their families, and that's great. He needs to spend some time recruiting the fans, too. Without us he isn't earning that $3 million a year.

Knapplc, I agree with you here. He should show that warm and cuddly side of himself more. Where I disagree is that I very much think he has. Team Jack, all the youtube pranks we see behind the scenes, and the many, many interviews he's done where he seems relaxed and accepting, even joked! He's dropped his tough guy facade many times in front of fans.

Where I see the problem is, is after every single loss, no matter who the loss comes to, no matter the injury status of key players, no matter any other contributing factor within the loss. Half of our fanbase turn into rabid dogs tearing into Bo and his players performances, and even worse with PERSONAL ATTACKS. How many times do you let your guard down to people like that?

It's like being married to the most bi-polar B**ch in the world. Win and your loved (well sorta, some still find reasons to hate after a win) Lose and you, your players, your staff, and all the good you've done for the program is dog crap.

You married her because you enjoyed her company, she was supportive, fun, and exciting. Little did you know she married you because she expected you to hit the lottery every year, turn into George Clooney, and answer her every wants and needs without question. Any disappointment and you're supposed to eat sh*t with a smile, any response to the shaft you're getting only digs a deeper hole.

Eventually you just shut yourself off.

If fans want warm and cuddly Bo, stay Suzie homemaker and quit going Loraina Bobbit.

Might just make a difference.

This might be the most perfect example ever.

Id like to hear the rest of the tapes the leaker tossed because they sang the praise of the fans and didnt catch Bo in a candid moment where heis emotion was rightfully peaked. He can honestly say whatever he wants about the media, they want him to slip up for the most part.

Sure he feels fans are an obstacle. Even if the vast majority has his back, there are small portions who attack players online, who expletively heckle Bo himself at games, who release tapes in an effort to get him fired. Where wre the Supporters when he needed them? Online, arguing with the detractors. Did that help him? No. Did the few who want to do harm succeed? Yes. So even if the99% is supportive of him, the 1% has been more effective in its quest this season. Yeah Bo is still here, but does he even want to be?

I don't know what Bo's real attitude towards fan is, but I doubt he is holding the fans in high regard right now. The haters are as loud as ever.

Reporter: "Bo, lots of fans were giving you support as you went into the tunnel, what does that mean to you?"

Bo: "It's great."

I understand that emotions were high and he was upset blah blah blah. He is only hurting himself by acting like this and he is not as transparent as he might think.

Truly not understanding the overreaction here. It's a simple concept - Bo expects the fans to show up and cheer 60 minutes a game. The fans should expect the coach that wants that to not be a dick to them.

How is he a dick to the fans exactly? He may not be warm and fuzzy enough for some of you, but that's not being a dick. I'm not talking about an old scrap of audio when he was privately venting about the douches in the stadium that were booing his team at half time and didn't stick around for the come back. We've all had those moments venting about a friend, parent, child, spouse, boss, employee or whatever that we'd be ashamed of if they were recorded and played publicly. I've asked this before and still haven't gotten a meaningful answer. Aside from getting on his knees and kissing your ass at the coffee shop, what exactly do you expect him to do differently?

Edit: Again, I started a reply and had to step away to take care of some business. This has been discussed a bit more, and I should learn to check the thread's progress before submitting when I've done that, but the question stands. My reference to the leaked audio was made before I saw Knapp bring it up later in the thread, luckily he was prescient enough to address it for me hah

• Fire 1

Truly not understanding the overreaction here. It's a simple concept - Bo expects the fans to show up and cheer 60 minutes a game. The fans should expect the coach that wants that to not be a dick to them.

I am completely with you. Miles makes the fans feel like they are part of the program and they are needed to win games. Bo makes the fans feel like they are an obstacle to winning.

The fans become a part the atmosphere in a game that sometimes can come down to momentum. No the fans aren't the cause of losses or are "obstacles" to winning but they aren't helping the team if they are doing anything other cheering or supporting the team. Nagging and complaining is fine and the right of every man when they don't agree with something, but some of the things that occur from the "Greatest Fans" towards the program they claim they love is down right pathetic.

How is he a dick to the fans exactly? He may not be warm and fuzzy enough for some of you, but that's not being a dick. I'm not talking about an old scrap of audio when he was privately venting about the douches in the stadium that were booing his team at half time and didn't stick around for the come back. We've all had those moments venting about a friend, parent, child, spouse, boss, employee or whatever that we'd be ashamed of if they were recorded and played publicly. I've asked this before and still haven't gotten a meaningful answer. Aside from getting on his knees and kissing your ass at the coffee shop, what exactly do you expect him to do differently?

Edit: Again, I started a reply and had to step away to take care of some business. This has been discussed a bit more, and I should learn to check the thread's progress before submitting when I've done that, but the question stands. My reference to the leaked audio was made before I saw Knapp bring it up later in the thread, luckily he was prescient enough to address it for me hah

Thanks, that's the overreaction I was talking about.

• Fire 2

Just be a better representative of the state. Whether or not you agree, no one likes Bo Pelini outside of Nebraska. No one wants to hire him, the local and national medias are against him. Bo is the only thing that people know about Nebraska right now. He has not done anything to me personally. I just want someone who gives us a positive perception from a national perspective. I do not think Bo is doing that.

• Fire 1

Not when the media give them a 3000 watt megaphone to make sure their voice makes up more than half of what's being heard.

The media's job is to be a mouth piece for the fan base and the people, an extension of the fan base and the people. Regardless of whether you think, believe or know for a fact that some journalists are out to get Bo, that is most certainly not an accurate representation of the media. I'm so sick and tired of hearing people say things to the media like "you know, you could support the coach" or "why do you have to say all these negative things about him?" Supporting a coach is NOT the media's job. Making sure things look all pretty is NOT the media's job. The reason the media was question and speculating Bo's job status were because tons of fans were doing it and the athletic department wasn't saying a thing.

I'm certainly not saying some of the media isn't at fault for this story line but come on, five minutes on this board or five minutes listening to local talk radio and there are a significant portion of fans that want/wanted Pelini gone.

The bigger problem is people that support Bo or are more apathetic sometimes don't look for avenues to express their opinion. It's angry/pissed off people that always want to be heard.

Thanks, that's the overreaction I was talking about.

Give and get, I suppose.

Just be a better representative of the state. Whether or not you agree, no one likes Bo Pelini outside of Nebraska. No one wants to hire him, the local and national medias are against him. Bo is the only thing that people know about Nebraska right now. He has not done anything to me personally. I just want someone who gives us a positive perception from a national perspective. I do not think Bo is doing that.

Nebraska football. Bo Pelini doesn't get brought up when Warren Buffet goes on the road I'm guessing.

But yes, his nation perception is not very good. And the reasons are obvious. A lot of people in the state are too close and cannot see the forest for the trees.

This ends the first and only time "Nebraska" and "forest" will be used in a sentence together.