2014 QB questions

Redmusky

Bowl prep will be very important for Johnny Stanton. He's going to get a lot of reps, along with a lot of other younger guys. Hopefully he has a strong December and sets himself up to compete with Tommy in the spring!

I still have faith in Tommy, once he gets healthy and gets more practice reading defenses, he'll be one of the most effective QB's we've seen in awhile.

Johnny Manziel finished 8-4 this year - but his defense has a lot to do with the struggling Texas A&M record (as compared to last season's 11-2 mark). Johnny Stanton seems to be more of your prototypical standard passing quarterback [maybe a Matthew Stafford (Detroit Lions' QB)]. Stanton will work the vertical passing game - which will make him a valuable asset next year, but he's not a runner like the elusive Johnny Manziel. So I really don't understand all of this "Johnny Football" love and hype as it's expressed for Johnny Stanton at this point in time. The actual Johnny Manziel would compare to the likes of past football greats such as Steve Young (SF 49ers) and especially Fran Tarkenton (Minnesota Vikings). For the record, the actual Johnny Football is lightning quick. He is a rare commodity for Texas A&M. Johnny Stanton is coming off ACL surgery too ... so you have to take that into account IMHO. He may still be very good ... but I doubt very seriously that he is a copy of Johnny Manziel. Again, I will say it here, that Stanton will provide the vertical passing game much like Craig Sundberg did for Nebraska from way back in the early to mid '80s.

Again, everybody wants to write off Tommy Armstrong - which baffles me. He runs Nebraska's old school option offense. I love to watch Armstrong run the option. He breaks ankles. The time traveler from the mid '90s can flat out run the option. He had an impressive effort against Michigan in The Big House on Nov. 9 in Nebraska's 17-13 win by rushing 12 times for 13 yards and completing 11 of 19 passes for 139 yards without any fumbles or interceptions that evening. Of course, Armstrong won the game off a 5 yard shovel pass to Ameer Abdullah late in the 4th quarter.

I agree with a post that explained it earlier on this thread that we'll be paper thin in QB depth next year. Let's allow both of these guys to take care of the program instead of giving one of them the cold shoulder. Both QBs...it will take them both to get Nebraska through a tough 12-game regular season. And, maybe Johnny Stanton will be "Johnny Football - Part 2," and also ... maybe Tommy Armstrong will continue to improve and become Nebraska's "Touchdown Tommie - Part 2" as well! Let's just get behind them both!

It will take them both as Armstrong involves more contact with his game than did Taylor Martinez - who was instructed to slide to avoid injury in many situations during his career. The probability of injury will exist that much more with the athletically talented Armstrong. Therefore, coach Bo Pelini will need to rely on both Nebraska signal callers to get the Cornhuskers through a long 12-, 13-game regular season. This is how I see it.

Hahahaha! I hear you, EbylHusker. Once again, this is living proof that we are making way too much of a big deal out of the quarterback position. Ryker Fyfe does an outstanding job helping out the Cornhuskers. He works just as hard in practice I'm sure. My younger brother was a backup walk-on field goal kicker at Jacksonville St., so I know Ryker is definately paying his dues and putting in his time. God bless him. I myself have been thinking about our running backs and offensive linemen and their depth for 2014. Recall that nice, large depth chart to the pipeline during the 1995 season....? You had awesome 6-3, 315-pound Chris Dishman (who had zero starts prior to the '95 season) being listed as a preseason all-American before the season even started. And then you had a haus like Matt Vrzal that came off the bench. We should place our focus on the entire team depth wise offensively and defensively and not just at one position.

Johnny Manziel finished 8-4 this year - but his defense has a lot to do with the struggling Texas A&M record (as compared to last season's 11-2 mark). Johnny Stanton seems to be more of your prototypical standard passing quarterback [maybe a Matthew Stafford (Detroit Lions' QB)]. Stanton will work the vertical passing game - which will make him a valuable asset next year, but he's not a runner like the elusive Johnny Manziel. So I really don't understand all of this "Johnny Football" love and hype as it's expressed for Johnny Stanton at this point in time. The actual Johnny Manziel would compare to the likes of past football greats such as Steve Young (SF 49ers) and especially Fran Tarkenton (Minnesota Vikings). For the record, the actual Johnny Football is lightning quick. He is a rare commodity for Texas A&M. Johnny Stanton is coming off ACL surgery too ... so you have to take that into account IMHO. He may still be very good ... but I doubt very seriously that he is a copy of Johnny Manziel. Again, I will say it here, that Stanton will provide the vertical passing game much like Craig Sundberg did for Nebraska from way back in the early to mid '80s.

Again, everybody wants to write off Tommy Armstrong - which baffles me. He runs Nebraska's old school option offense. I love to watch Armstrong run the option. He breaks ankles. The time traveler from the mid '90s can flat out run the option. He had an impressive effort against Michigan in The Big House on Nov. 9 in Nebraska's 17-13 win by rushing 12 times for 13 yards and completing 11 of 19 passes for 139 yards without any fumbles or interceptions that evening. Of course, Armstrong won the game off a 5 yard shovel pass to Ameer Abdullah late in the 4th quarter.

I agree with a post that explained it earlier on this thread that we'll be paper thin in QB depth next year. Let's allow both of these guys to take care of the program instead of giving one of them the cold shoulder. Both QBs...it will take them both to get Nebraska through a tough 12-game regular season. And, maybe Johnny Stanton will be "Johnny Football - Part 2," and also ... maybe Tommy Armstrong will continue to improve and become Nebraska's "Touchdown Tommie - Part 2" as well! Let's just get behind them both!

It will take them both as Armstrong involves more contact with his game than did Taylor Martinez - who was instructed to slide to avoid injury in many situations during his career. The probability of injury will exist that much more with the athletically talented Armstrong. Therefore, coach Bo Pelini will need to rely on both Nebraska signal callers to get the Cornhuskers through a long 12-, 13-game regular season. This is how I see it.

Johnny Stanton was nicknamed Johnny Football in high school. That is before Johnny "Football" Manziel ever played a college down. So that is no reference or comparison to Stanton and Manziel.

Also, Matthew Stafford probably throws a football better than any human on this planet in terms of straight arm talent. He is indeed in the top 3. The comparison is completely absurd and I don't think anyone who has actually watched Stanton play would call him a "prototypical passing QB."

Finally, where is this idea that Stanton is going to stretch the field vertically? There is an article out there that I will search for that says he team in high school runs the ball 68% of the time. But when his team passed, 78% of passes were within 10 yards of the LOS. That equal, what, roughly 7% of plays of passes beyond 10 yards. Many of those were probably in the mid range. So we are looking at about 2% of his plays as throwing the ball down field.

Johnny Stanton was nicknamed Johnny Football in high school. That is before Johnny "Football" Manziel ever played a college down. So that is no reference or comparison to Stanton and Manziel.

Also, Matthew Stafford probably throws a football better than any human on this planet in terms of straight arm talent. He is indeed in the top 3. The comparison is completely absurd and I don't think anyone who has actually watched Stanton play would call him a "prototypical passing QB."

Finally, where is this idea that Stanton is going to stretch the field vertically? There is an article out there that I will search for that says he team in high school runs the ball 68% of the time. But when his team passed, 78% of passes were within 10 yards of the LOS. That equal, what, roughly 7% of plays of passes beyond 10 yards. Many of those were probably in the mid range. So we are looking at about 2% of his plays as throwing the ball down field.

I wonder the same thing. I watched him at the Elite camp and he's not a passer. He's a runner.

I see no reason to worry about it. We have nothing to say about it one way or another. My only hope is that we do continue to train each and every one on the field in competition. I think Tommy learned a lot this year, and as stated before, most likely would not have had that chance if Taylor had been healthy.

Who ever the staff feels gives us the best chance to win is who I want playing, They know far more about it than me, or really anyone else on this board. They see them year around,see them practice ad know their work ethic, all ours are guesses at best.

I wonder the same thing. I watched him at the Elite camp and he's not a passer. He's a runner.

Stanton is more of an efficient type QB. Strong runner and can complete the dink and dunk plays which isn't a bad thing. TA has the arm for the long ball but lacks that intermediate passing game.

I think these team is very talented on offense. I really do. The OL is the weak spot but the skill positions are sick. The defense is going to be a strong point. I don't care who the QB is going forward ... as I did not care this year. All this team needs is a QB who will run the offense, be efficient, manage the game ... AND PROTECT THE BALL.