JUCO Recruiting

Mavric

This might be one of our better JUCO years, especially if we can add Keys.

I understand the risk of adding JUCO guys, but think with some of the holes on this team, it is something we need to attack aggressively.

Coaches must believe Stanton is a stud or TA can develop because you'd think they'd address biggest weakness on offense.

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at the JUCOs we've signed since 2009 (Pelini's first full class).

2009:

Dejon Gomes - Second on the team in tackles; 4th round NFL draft pick

Brandon Kinnie - Graduated #11 in career receptions; NFL free agent signing

2010:

Lavonte David - B1G LB of the year; 2nd round NFL draft pick

Jermarcus Hardrick - NFL free agent signing

Chase Harper - Ummmmm.......

Stanley Jean-Baptiste - Second team All-BIG; likely shot in the NFL

2011:

Joseph Carter - Contributor but nothing special

Daimion Stafford - Two year starter; 7th round NFL draft pick

2012:

Zaire Anderson - 5th leading tackler this year

Mohammed Seisay - Played sparingly

2013:

Matt Finnin - Expected to challenge for playing time next year

Randy Gregory - 1st team All-B1G

Chongo Kondolo - Expected to challenge for playing time next year

So, by my count that's three home runs (Gomes, David & Gregory), three others who signed in the NFL (Kinnie, Hardrick & Stafford), two impact players on this year's team (SJB & Anderson), three busts (Harper, Carter & Seisay) and two TBD (Finnin & Kondolo).

Excluding Finnin & Kondolo (because we don't really know about them yet), that's 7 out of 11 who will probably make NFL rosters (I'm counting SJB and Gregory) and three busts with Anderson in the middle somewhere. A little bit feast-or-famine but if you can get over 60% who are NFL-type players, that's some pretty good pick-ups out of the JUCO ranks.

Is there any way of knowing what these guys and the new recruits were rated coming out of HS and who had offered them?

All of the recruiting services have this information on their websites. For example, here is the link to the 2013 class per 247 http://nebraska.247s...ootball/Commits

Also, on each of the recruits HB profile, this information is provided (though, not always completely up-to-date).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you posted. I think you misunderstood my question. I visit the various recruiting sites and know how they rank players.

All of these JUCO players obviously were somewhat good players coming out of HS and were recruited by somebody. For various reasons, then ended up in JUCO. NOW, we see that they are pretty highly rated players after a short time in the JUCO.

What I would like to know (for instance), how was Gregory rated out of HS and who had offered him? I know at one time he was committed to Purdue but other than that, I know nothing of his recruitment right out of HS.

This is mostly just something I'm interested in. Were these players (like Gregory, Keels, Clinkscales...etc) very highly recruited but ended up in JUCO because of grades and while there continued to prove they were that good?

Make sense?

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at the JUCOs we've signed since 2009 (Pelini's first full class).

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

2013:

So, by my count that's three home runs (Gomes, David & Gregory), three others who signed in the NFL (Kinnie, Hardrick & Stafford), two impact players on this year's team (SJB & Anderson), three busts (Harper, Carter & Seisay) and two TBD (Finnin & Kondolo).

Excluding Finnin & Kondolo (because we don't really know about them yet), that's 7 out of 11 who will probably make NFL rosters (I'm counting SJB and Gregory) and three busts with Anderson in the middle somewhere. A little bit feast-or-famine but if you can get over 60% who are NFL-type players, that's some pretty good pick-ups out of the JUCO ranks.

Is there any way of knowing what these guys and the new recruits were rated coming out of HS and who had offered them?

All of the recruiting services have this information on their websites. For example, here is the link to the 2013 class per 247 http://nebraska.247s...ootball/Commits

Also, on each of the recruits HB profile, this information is provided (though, not always completely up-to-date).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you posted. I think you misunderstood my question. I visit the various recruiting sites and know how they rank players.

All of these JUCO players obviously were somewhat good players coming out of HS and were recruited by somebody. For various reasons, then ended up in JUCO. NOW, we see that they are pretty highly rated players after a short time in the JUCO.

What I would like to know (for instance), how was Gregory rated out of HS and who had offered him? I know at one time he was committed to Purdue but other than that, I know nothing of his recruitment right out of HS.

This is mostly just something I'm interested in. Were these players (like Gregory, Keels, Clinkscales...etc) very highly recruited but ended up in JUCO because of grades and while there continued to prove they were that good?

Make sense?

Most of scouts profiles have drop downs to their high school recruiting page

That assumes that there is a juco QB available that fits and is better than the three or four young guys we should have at the position next fall. Stanton is a big time recruit and Armstrong was a freshman that showed a few good things. If Darlington has a serious chance of getting cleared to play, he'll have a spring and summer to study the offense. Then of course, there's the possibility of one of the other two good recruits we're looking at. Hardly screams for a juco, unless he's a sure fire all-American, and those guys usually get bought by the $EC.

We seem to be pushing the bounds of the number of jucos I feel comfortable with in a class, but this staff has shown the ability to locate and coach up juco players and I like they guys we're looking at.

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

2013:

Make sense?

Misunderstood what you meant at first, but my first suggestion still applies.

For example, I just went to the Rivals Football Recruiting Database page and searched for Randy Gregory for the class of 2013 (the year he was recruited out of JUCO) then again for the class of 2011 (the year he was recruited out of HS). The results were:

http://sports.yahoo....-Gregory-136697

http://sports.yahoo....-Gregory-107944

There is also an ESPN Football Recruiting Database

http://espn.go.com/c...3/randy-gregory

http://espn.go.com/c...8/randy-gregory

Now, Scout makes it easier with a drop-down tab on the top-right side of the page next to the prospects name.

http://jcfootball.sc...c=1&nid=6291409

http://jcfootball.sc...c=1&nid=4784937

247 has a similar feature to Scout but on the top-left side of the page

http://247sports.com/Player/Randy-Gregory-1996?Institution=23597

http://247sports.com...stitution=11000

I've been a big fan of the JUCO's that we've gotten in the past and the one's that we have on campus and in this year's class. I've heard lots of scuttle about Bo going too deep in JUCO recruiting this year, while I think Bo is looking JUCO route more this year for a couple of reasons. First, Bo is under pressure to move the program up to the next level and not only compete for championships, but win some. Secondly, especially with the DLine prospects, the staff is trying to even out the scholarships. Right now, most of our DLinemen are freshmen & sophmores, we need to ge some upperclassmen in the fold so we don't lose all of them in the same year. Lastly, I believe Bo and the staff honestly think we are close to being able to compete on a national level and we just need a few more players to get us there.

• Fire 1

Bo's hit on too many JUCO recruits not to pick up the numbers a little in a year we can bring in a few more guys than recently. I like this approach. I agree with you though Corn, I think it has quite a bit to do w/ his job status. Look at what Ron Prince tried to do as he was nearing his end at K-State. He made a last ditch effort for a great season and let a lot ride on the JUCOs. I think our roster is plenty balanced that we'll be fine, but you have to think Bo's got a win-now mentality w/ this decision. Perfectly fine with that. Especially if he lands (or by miracle develops) a QB. All the 4* WRs in the world won't matter without a QB that can utilize em.

Bo's hit on too many JUCO recruits not to pick up the numbers a little in a year we can bring in a few more guys than recently. I like this approach. I agree with you though Corn, I think it has quite a bit to do w/ his job status. Look at what Ron Prince tried to do as he was nearing his end at K-State. He made a last ditch effort for a great season and let a lot ride on the JUCOs. I think our roster is plenty balanced that we'll be fine, but you have to think Bo's got a win-now mentality w/ this decision. Perfectly fine with that. Especially if he lands (or by miracle develops) a QB. All the 4* WRs in the world won't matter without a QB that can utilize em.

Funny you would bring up Prince at K-State going after a lot of JUCO's when that is what Bill Snyder has done his entire career.

They were just talking on the 1620 Roundtable that a large number of the players that Nebraska had back in the 90's would not be eligible today. They listed about 15 guys that would not have qualified and they were solid to great players. Due to partial qualifying and Prop 48. They also said that a lot of these guys have to go the JUCO route and a reason why Bo and Co, might be going heavy on the JUCO's right now.

I've been a big fan of the JUCO's that we've gotten in the past and the one's that we have on campus and in this year's class. I've heard lots of scuttle about Bo going too deep in JUCO recruiting this year, while I think Bo is looking JUCO route more this year for a couple of reasons. First, Bo is under pressure to move the program up to the next level and not only compete for championships, but win some. Secondly, especially with the DLine prospects, the staff is trying to even out the scholarships. Right now, most of our DLinemen are freshmen & sophmores, we need to ge some upperclassmen in the fold so we don't lose all of them in the same year. Lastly, I believe Bo and the staff honestly think we are close to being able to compete on a national level and we just need a few more players to get us there.

^^ This. +1 I think Bo's Juco recruiting is right on target. He brings in quality guys to fill positions of need. And batting 7/11 is an amazing percentage. When you factor away the Jucos lost to injuries, he's hitting around 85% or so. (Assuming injuries are random, and can't be predicted.)

Funny you would bring up Prince at K-State going after a lot of JUCO's when that is what Bill Snyder has done his entire career.

And I think Bo's ability to spot/develop JUCO's is WAY more in line w/ Snyder's than Prince's. Maybe I should have went with Gill at KU, or Hawkins at CU. Was just looking for an example. A lot of coaches go the JUCO road when the pressure is on. You'd have to think there is a little of that right now with Bo. I don't have a problem with it. Urgency is good. Lets hope the team shows it too. And when Bo lands a quality JUCO we uually get 2-3 years of quality starts out of them. When he lands a quality HS player, we still likely only get 2-3 years of quality starts out of them. IMO the only difference is if you miss on a HS kid he probably takes up 5 years of scholarship, whereas a JUCO only takes 2-3. So Bo can bring in 2 JUCOs for every 1 HS player. Sounds like a good idea to me.

And I think Bo's ability to spot/develop JUCO's is WAY more in line w/ Snyder's than Prince's. Maybe I should have went with Gill at KU, or Hawkins at CU. Was just looking for an example. A lot of coaches go the JUCO road when the pressure is on. You'd have to think there is a little of that right now with Bo. I don't have a problem with it. Urgency is good. Lets hope the team shows it too. And when Bo lands a quality JUCO we uually get 2-3 years of quality starts out of them. When he lands a quality HS player, we still likely only get 2-3 years of quality starts out of them. IMO the only difference is if you miss on a HS kid he probably takes up 5 years of scholarship, whereas a JUCO only takes 2-3. So Bo can bring in 2 JUCOs for every 1 HS player. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Oh don't get me wrong. I think Bo is just fine getting the JUCO talent he is getting. I just found it funny that Bill Snyder did such a good job of JUCO recruiting and the guy that was hired to replace him went away from it and then tried to go back to it only to fail miserably. Then K-State hires Snyder back and he goes right back to the JUCO recruiting and the end up playing in a BCS game last year.

Last week on 1620 the Zone, they were talking about the "partial qualifiers" that TO used to get and where they are going now. They said they go the JUCO route. Sounds like we are still doing the same thing to me, maybe not as much though. BO has us on track, we just need to stop beating ourselves. On the field and on the recruiting trail.