Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

I just defend Phil Robertson because he said what he felt. Miley Cyrus says what she feels and I'm told to be ok with it because that's who she is. I don't agree with the double standard, that's all.

That doesn't make sense. :dunno

He's entitled to his opinion just like Miley is. What's hard to get about that?

Who is telling you that you're to be ok with what Miley Cyrus says?

Who is telling Phil Robertson that he can't say what he did? (I'll answer that one: no one is telling him that.)

I just defend Phil Robertson because he said what he felt. Miley Cyrus says what she feels and I'm told to be ok with it because that's who she is. I don't agree with the double standard, that's all.

What double standard? She got trashed for her performance at that award show. And if she does something that pisses off her record label, she'll probably be fired. There simply is no double standard here to fight against.

What double standard? She got trashed for her performance at that award show. And if she does something that pisses off her record label, she'll probably be fired. There simply is no double standard here to fight against.

You have a point. Bad comparison.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I feel that he was given a raw deal and you guys don't. I would not be surprised if they jump networks though.

• Fire 1

Suspending him indefinitely for saying what he felt.

That's quite a bit different than preventing him from saying what he felt.

Only because A&E is not all powerful and not able to actually prevent a person from speaking. The intent is the same, though. Firing someone for speaking is equivalent to them telling him he is forbidden from saying it and doing whatever they can to force him not to.

People are strawmanning KC I think. The double standard is real, people simultaneously defending one and condemning the other based on their opinions.

Also, as a side point, ignorance should be combatted but in a way that is helpful and constructive. Like Robertson said, he is a product of his environment. If you grew up in the same circumstances you would be equally as ignorant. Condemning and/or criticizing someone for being ignorant is just self-righteousness because you are not inherently better than they are. You've just been taught. Hopefully someone will come alongside him and help teach him and he can grow from this, because casting stones isn't helpful and is just being ignorant of where ignorance actually comes from.

People are strawmanning KC I think. The double standard is real, people simultaneously defending one and condemning the other based on their opinions.

This is what I was trying to get at, but I'm not good at putting it into words. Thanks Landlord.

Everyone's concerned about their own personal agenda, not just accepting people for who they are.

• Fire 1

Only because A&E is not all powerful and not able to actually prevent a person from speaking. The intent is the same, though. Firing someone for speaking is equivalent to them telling him he is forbidden from saying it and doing whatever they can to force him not to.

No . . . no it isn't. They don't want to be associated with what this gentleman said because they think that it is bad for their business. Therefore, they are no longer going to be paying him to work for them. It takes quite a leap to get to a place where that's the same as a hypothetical all powerful being preventing someone from speaking.

The double standard is real . . .

No it really isn't.

. . . people simultaneously defending one and condemning the other based on their opinions.

What exactly are you talking about here?

No . . . no it isn't. They don't want to be associated with what this gentleman said because they think that it is bad for their business. Therefore, they are no longer going to be paying him to work for them. It takes quite a leap to get to a place where that's the same as a hypothetical all powerful being preventing someone from speaking.

No it really isn't.

. . . people simultaneously defending one and condemning the other based on their opinions.

What I'm getting at is that my facebook feed is FULL of people either:

1. Condemning and criticizing A&E for exercising their freedom to fire Robertson while praising Robertson for exercising his freedom to free speech

2. Condemning and criticizing Roberterson for exercising his freedom to free speech while praising A&E for their freedom to fire him.

The only thing that I can see for certain in this situation and others like it is that the majority of people couldn't give two sh#ts about actual justice and equality across the board - they're only concerned with their own team getting theirs.

No it really isn't.

Fox News bashes liberals and defends conservatives for their own agenda. They want conservative ratings.

CNN bashes conservatives and defends liberals for their own agenda. They want liberal ratings.

I bash Clowney's play because I'm a Clemson fan.

I defend Tajh Boyd's play because I'm a Clemson fan.

You guys defend N. Suh's dirty play because you're Nebraska fans.

It's there. It's everywhere.

What I'm getting at is that my facebook feed is FULL of people either:

1. Condemning and criticizing A&E for exercising their freedom to fire Robertson while praising Robertson for exercising his freedom to free speech

2. Condemning and criticizing Roberterson for exercising his freedom to free speech while praising A&E for their freedom to fire him.

The only thing that I can see for certain in this situation and others like it is that the majority of people couldn't give two sh#ts about actual justice and equality across the board - they're only concerned with their own team getting theirs.

Well now I'm just more confused. Actual justice? Own team getting theirs?

I don't think that this has anything to do with justice, freedom of speech, or "team getting theirs."

Fox News bashes liberals and defends conservatives for their own agenda. They want conservative ratings.

CNN bashes conservatives and defends liberals for their own agenda. They want liberal ratings.

How does this apply here? Put another way, what is the double standard here?

Edit: Maybe I should clarify. Is there a similarly situated person who made pro-gay statements that caused a public outcry but A&E chose to not cut ties with the individual?

How does this apply here? Put another way, what is the double standard here?

Haha, I'm done with you. You're just here to argue.

Later guys.

• Fire 1