Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

Coincidentally enough, my wife and I watched 5 minutes of the show last night for the first time ever. I've never seen such vapid crap on television. Granted, I avoid reality TV like the plague, but still. Even my wife said last night: Sports are about the only thing worth watching on TV at this point, outside of The Walking Dead.

That being said, his opinions are of no surprise to me. I think everyone is jumping on him for his homophobic views, and rightly so, but they are ignoring his absurdly racist claims about African Americans being better off in the pre-civil rights era. That was some mind-numbingly stupid stuff.

Really? What made A&E think this guy was not a religious man. His beard? Como clothing options? The fact that its backwoods Louisiana? And finally, who cares. Whats the demographic of the show, LGBT? My oldest son watches the show just to see what the crazy uncle is going to say. I got bored of it after a short time. Like all reality shows.

Coincidentally enough, my wife and I watched 5 minutes of the show last night for the first time ever. I've never seen such vapid crap on television. Granted, I avoid reality TV like the plague, but still. Even my wife said last night: Sports are about the only thing worth watching on TV at this point, outside of The Walking Dead.

That being said, his opinions are of no surprise to me. I think everyone is jumping on him for his homophobic views, and rightly so, but they are ignoring his absurdly racist claims about African Americans being better off in the pre-civil rights era. That was some mind-numbingly stupid stuff.

I was going to say something about that. I wasn't surprised that he said it, just disappointed that some people still think that way.

I watched a few minutes of this show the first year. I cannot fathom why this thing has remained on the air, nor can I grasp how, walking through the mall, I see Duck Dynasty merchandise in so many stores. Clearly people are buying these things, but... why?

Because Wal-Mart tells them to

Horrifyingly, one of the places I shopped that day was Wal-Mart (out of desperation, believe me) and most of the central aisle was lined with Duck Dynasty "stuff." It's hilarious and sad all at once.

Seems like everything the guy said is 100% consistent with his philosophy. Hasn't the show been on long enough for folks to realize that this is what the guy is like? It's not like he's been holding back his thoughts and opinions. At all. :lol:

Sports are about the only thing worth watching on TV at this point, outside of The Walking Dead.

I would submit for your viewing pleasure:

Wilfred

Louie

The Soup (to keep aware of cultural awfulness like DD and to enjoy the lampooning thereof)

Daily Show (awareness and lampooning)

Colbert (buffoonery and LOTR geekiness)

Mythbusters

Anthony Bourdain

How It's Made

Downton Abbey (PBS)

From the BBC:

Doctor Who

Sherlock

• Fire 3

Came here hoping to see someone say something about freedom of speech. Was slightly disappointed.

On the broader subject of Duck Dynasty I've never seen the show and don't plan on ever watching it. I'm probably ignorant of its content...I get the impression that it's just a bunch of hicks shooting ducks and their assorted adventures. Doesn't sound all that appealing.

Sports are about the only thing worth watching on TV at this point, outside of The Walking Dead.

I would submit for your viewing pleasure:

Wilfred

Louie

The Soup (to keep aware of cultural awfulness like DD and to enjoy the lampooning thereof)

Daily Show (awareness and lampooning)

Colbert (buffoonery and LOTR geekiness)

Mythbusters

Anthony Bourdain

How It's Made

Downton Abbey (PBS)

From the BBC:

Doctor Who

Sherlock

We watch the Daily Show, Colbert Report, Rehab Addict (home improvement show), and..... can't think of anything else we really watch consistently.

Probably because he wasn't making any racist claims. He is a white man speaking generally of black people - and for some that is enough to be labeled "racist" - but his comments were comparing his life experience around black people when he was younger, to what he perceives as the culture of welfare established since, and how he feels it has crushed their spirit instead of helping them.

The way your bolded comment is worded, it sounds like you believe he thinks black people are better off BEFORE the civil rights movement...as in they shouldn't have ever been granted any civil rights. The "Civil-Rights" portion of the article was merely referring to an era of time - establishing he is old.

• Fire 1

Probably because he wasn't making any racist claims. He is a white man speaking generally of black people - and for some that is enough to be labeled "racist" - but his comments were comparing his life experience around black people when he was younger, to what he perceives as the culture of welfare established since, and how he feels is has crushed their spirit instead of helping them.

The way your bolded comment is worded, it sounds like you believe he thinks black people are better off BEFORE the civil rights movement...as in they shouldn't have ever been granted any civil rights. The "Civil-Rights" portion of the article was merely referring to an era of time - establishing he is old.

speechless.gif

I love the part where he equates terrorist and homosexual.

Take whatever gay celeb you can think of... the most terrible thing they say or do is to be critical of the way people, ironically enough women, dress. Terrorist. Hmmm, not seeing it.

Take the guy from DD.

http://magazineforever.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Duck-Dynasty-Jase-Si-Robertson-.jpg

Let's see, he has a long beard, wears a bandana on his head, seems to be functionally ignorant, and makes proclamations about the wrongs of homosexuals because a holy book told him that is what he should do.

Isn't there another guy that looked about the same. A guy that Americans hated and wanted to see dead. And who also made proclamations about such things as the wrongs of homosexuality because his holy book told him that is what he should do.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01238/osama_binladen_1238702c.jpg

Superficial? You bet. The same as saying all gay people are terrorists? You bet.

GQ baited him and he took it.

The show's already caught a bunch of crap about them praying on camera, and they came out and said that if you don't like it, don't watch it. It's what we're about as a family and we'd rather not do this show than change who we are.

Dude stated his personal beliefs...and I really feel like he was trapped in it.

What people don't pay attention to is the last paragraph of his interview:

"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

If you're not a Christian, that's ok. But don't make it a case where "I can say what I want to.....and you can say what you want to until it offends me."

These guys just want to take care of their family, and if they're asked a question, they're gonna answer it.

Duck Dynasty will keep playing, and A&E will lose out on it.

• Fire 2