Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

Why is it only the point where the word "homosexual" is included is causing such a back lash? Even his comments about black people isn't causing such a huge back lash. Why aren't drunkards, adulterers, greedy people..etc up in arms about this?

I honestly still don't understand what the big deal is about what he said and why he is getting suspended.

Truthfully, I haven't seen any backlash outside of A&E. Literally haven't seen a single gay rights group jumping on him or anyone condemning the man other than just saying "yeah he's an idiot." Like i said, it's a non-issue. Nobody was even all that upset about it. The only ones upset are the people supporting him.

Why is he an idiot?

I've never watched the show, and I agree that his comments are idiotic and ignorant, but it also seems that everyone knew what this guy was all about already. He's a redneck born-again Christian from the south past retirement age. No one should be surprised, but it sounds like those qualities are also what people like about the guy. I'm not heartbroken that he got suspended at all, but I think A&E could have simply said this guy's views don't reflect theirs and carry on.

I'm happy that we live in a country that can allow a rough-around-the-edges nobody to rise up and create his own massive fortune. This dude is the American dream.

I'm sad that we live in a country with so much ignorance about gay rights, civil rights, equality, etc.

I'm happy that we live in a country where this guy can speak his mind but can still be made to deal with the consequences of his words and actions, and that A&E has the same rights.

I'm also happy that I don't see very many people with beards like that. WTF.

• Fire 2

Why is it only the point where the word "homosexual" is included is causing such a back lash? Even his comments about black people isn't causing such a huge back lash. Why aren't drunkards, adulterers, greedy people..etc up in arms about this?

I honestly still don't understand what the big deal is about what he said and why he is getting suspended.

Truthfully, I haven't seen any backlash outside of A&E. Literally haven't seen a single gay rights group jumping on him or anyone condemning the man other than just saying "yeah he's an idiot." Like i said, it's a non-issue. Nobody was even all that upset about it. The only ones upset are the people supporting him.

Why is he an idiot?

He was born that way, I'm assuming.

• Fire 2

The funniest thing to come out of this is the broad-brush generalizations everyone is using here.

The Liberals.

The Gays.

The Christians.

The Bigots.

The Blacks.

The Sinners.

Etc, etc, etc

Everyone is arguing against these huge buckets of thought/ideal/belief that are largely not being represented. Vague references to "them" keep popping up, and "they" are wrong, and bap bap bap.

Read through this thread and note how few specifics - aside from the Duck Dynasty guy and A&E - are being mentioned here. Yet everyone is dispensing so much anger and angst and "I don't understand why they..."

This thread says way more about how bored people are than about this guy's statements or the network's reaction.

I've never watched the show, and I agree that his comments are idiotic and ignorant, but it also seems that everyone knew what this guy was all about already. He's a redneck born-again Christian from the south past retirement age. No one should be surprised, but it sounds like those qualities are also what people like about the guy. I'm not heartbroken that he got suspended at all, but I think A&E could have simply said this guy's views don't reflect theirs and carry on.

I'm happy that we live in a country that can allow a rough-around-the-edges nobody to rise up and create his own massive fortune. This dude is the American dream.

I'm sad that we live in a country with so much ignorance about gay rights, civil rights, equality, etc.

I'm happy that we live in a country where this guy can speak his mind but can still be made to deal with the consequences of his words and actions, and that A&E has the same rights.

I'm also happy that I don't see very many people with beards like that. WTF.

Again, I don't understand why including homosexuals in this has caused so much uproar. He is an idiot because he included this group? Here is a list of everyone he included in his answer to the question:

"Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine," he later added. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men. Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right."

Now, why aren't people pointing out that he included greedy people, slanderers, swindlers, idolaters, male prostitutes, men who sleep with multiple women...etc.

It seems like all that was perfectly fine until he included homosexuals. Once that word was uttered......oh Lord....your fired and everyone is shocked.

In this quote, he hasn't said anything any different than any minister on Sunday morning and MANY ministers and Christians on TV. However, because this guy wears camo, duck hunts and has a beard, all of a sudden if he says homosexuality is a sin...It's....OH MY GOD THIS GUY IS AN IDIOT!!!!

Why? He didn't say they should be second class citizens. He didn't say he couldn't be friends with them or would chastise a family member if they were gay any more than he would if one of his kids had an affair while married.

+1

+1

Maybe what I'm talking about is the media fire storm over it along with some comments on here. This morning there was a good interview with a conservative radio person (don't remember who it was). The reporter was trying to make a huge deal out of his homosexual comments. The radio guy did a decent job of really asking..."What is the big deal about what he said?" He was asked a question about what is sin and answered it along with a number of other groups of people. Nothing more...nothing less. But, for some reason, the media keeps harping on the outrageous comments he made about homosexuals.

Again, I don't understand why including homosexuals in this has caused so much uproar. He is an idiot because he included this group? Here is a list of everyone he included in his answer to the question:

"Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine," he later added. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men. Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right."

Now, why aren't people pointing out that he included greedy people, slanderers, swindlers, idolaters, male prostitutes, men who sleep with multiple women...etc.

It seems like all that was perfectly fine until he included homosexuals. Once that word was uttered......oh Lord....your fired and everyone is shocked.

In this quote, he hasn't said anything any different than any minister on Sunday morning and MANY ministers and Christians on TV. However, because this guy wears camo, duck hunts and has a beard, all of a sudden if he says homosexuality is a sin...It's....OH MY GOD THIS GUY IS AN IDIOT!!!!

Why? He didn't say they should be second class citizens. He didn't say he couldn't be friends with them or would chastise a family member if they were gay any more than he would if one of his kids had an affair while married.

For the record I personally am not calling him an idiot.

But it's different with homosexuality because the world still, to a decent extent, still sees all those other things as wrong or negative and doesn't see homosexuality the same way. Mostly because greed, drunkenness, prostitution and etc. all have obvious and visible negative consequences. To take a stance that includes homosexuality in that, which outwardly doesn't really seem to harm anybody, starts diving deeper into a faith/spiritual basis of what actually makes it not okay, and people disagree.

If I come to your house and call a child rapist a bad person you'll agree with me but if I call your mother a scum-sucking whore you will take offense.

+1

Maybe what I'm talking about is the media fire storm over it along with some comments on here. This morning there was a good interview with a conservative radio person (don't remember who it was). The reporter was trying to make a huge deal out of his homosexual comments. The radio guy did a decent job of really asking..."What is the big deal about what he said?" He was asked a question about what is sin and answered it along with a number of other groups of people. Nothing more...nothing less. But, for some reason, the media keeps harping on the outrageous comments he made about homosexuals.

Show me an example of the media firestorm, from someone other than Fox.

Show me an example of the media firestorm, from someone other than Fox.

'Duck Dynasty' Phil Robertson's Other Outrageous Quotes From GQ Interview

‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson: Gays ‘won’t inherit the kingdom of God

I'm not the first one to use the word "firestorm".

“Duck Dynasty” reality star Phil Robertson has created a firestorm ahead of January’s issue of GQ, saying that homosexuality is illogical and gays “won’t inherit the kingdom of God.”

A google search will find many more articles in the media about his comments.

I bet you I have seen 8-10 stories on TV about his comments and none of them came from Foxnews since Foxnews is not allowed to be on in my house with me present.

Can there be a group of people who tend to vote Republican, hunt, and have rural roots that actually really hate what what these people who are merely perpetuating a stereotype for money said because, to a lot of people, you can be guilty by association because you also like to hunt, which these guys never seem to do on TV?

Because if there isn't, I'd like to start that group.

For the record I personally am not calling him an idiot.

But it's different with homosexuality because the world still, to a decent extent, still sees all those other things as wrong or negative and doesn't see homosexuality the same way. Mostly because greed, drunkenness, prostitution and etc. all have obvious and visible negative consequences. To take a stance that includes homosexuality in that, which outwardly doesn't really seem to harm anybody, starts diving deeper into a faith/spiritual basis of what actually makes it not okay, and people disagree.

If I come to your house and call a child rapist a bad person you'll agree with me but if I call your mother a scum-sucking whore you will take offense.

I understand your comments.

Look, people I know in real life would laugh if anyone thought I was "homophobic" in any way. I learned long ago while working with gay people that they are no different than any of us. I have employed openly gay people. I have supported gay marriage being legal. I have a very good friend who is in his mid 20s who has no relationship with his father because he is gay and he knows he can count on me to be there if he needs someone. So, my comments are not supporting any antigay agenda by waco groups.

However, I still don't understand why this is being pulled out of his comments the way it is. I may still believe homosexuality is a sin similar to any other sin. But, I'm not going to treat a gay person any differently than anyone else who has sinned.

Also, for reference, his comments re: black people and oppression:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field .... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word! ... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Hardly the vitriolic, ignorant racist speech it has been painted as in this thread.

I don't know if saying "I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash" is a compliment. Also, what does he mean by "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare" blacks?

Can there be a group of people who tend to vote Republican, hunt, and have rural roots that actually really hate what what these people who are merely perpetuating a stereotype for money said because, to a lot of people, you can be guilty by association because you also like to hunt, which these guys never seem to do on TV?

Because if there isn't, I'd like to start that group.

They hunt all the time on the show.