Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

So this happened :

The actual GQ article/interview this all references:

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson

The part of the interview that is getting all the attention :

When asked, 'What, in your mind, is sinful?'

"Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine," he later added. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men. Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right."

..then reaction by the usual suspects.

---

He views homosexual sex as immoral...

...and compares it to other "immoral" sex acts he feels are sins.

Whatever. He should suffer the consequences of his words...but the number of folks piling on this guy is rather absurd.

--

What this isn't about is "Free Speech". Some people are getting that completely wrong. (See Palin).

I watched a few minutes of this show the first year. I cannot fathom why this thing has remained on the air, nor can I grasp how, walking through the mall, I see Duck Dynasty merchandise in so many stores. Clearly people are buying these things, but... why?

#1 selling Christmas album right now. It's bizarre.

People at work asked me if I watched it. I told them I could go watch rednecks all day if I wanted to back home. I just don't see the appeal. It's just like any "reality" show. None of it appeals to me. My girlfriend likes to watch Sister Wives lol

Saying you don't support a homosexual lifestyle != homophobic.

Comparing homosexuality to beastiality == homophobic.

Otherwise it's not really an issue at all. The only issue is people's overreaction.

And Freedom of Speech just means you are free to say what you want without governmental oppression. It's like if you call your boss fat, you can't go to jail for that, but you can get fired.

Anyone have an opinion about this?

http://www.foxnews.c...-homosexuality/

First, why does anyone care about what this guy says? Isn't he just some reality show star?

Second, this guy has the freedom to say almost anything. That doesn't, however, mean that he is free from any consequences that arise from his words.

As I understand it, some on the RIGHT have latched onto the DUCK DYNASTY show as a cultural thing they can relate with. (Religious and Family values? I dunno.)

Consequently, some on the LEFT use DUCK DYNASTY to characterize the beliefs of those on the RIGHT...as it's easier to pick out one show/person and criticize their faults.

It's not what 'this guy said'...it's the two competing groups of people who are using DUCK DYNASTY to represent something else....I think anyways.

--

Couldn't agree more with your second point.