Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

Can there be a group of people who tend to vote Republican, hunt, and have rural roots that actually really hate what what these people who are merely perpetuating a stereotype for money said because, to a lot of people, you can be guilty by association because you also like to hunt, which these guys never seem to do on TV?

Because if there isn't, I'd like to start that group.

My brother loves this show, while I detest it. They are college-educated individuals playing a part and perpetuating stereotypes for monetary gain.

Can there be a group of people who tend to vote Republican, hunt, and have rural roots that actually really hate what what these people who are merely perpetuating a stereotype for money said because, to a lot of people, you can be guilty by association because you also like to hunt, which these guys never seem to do on TV?

My brother loves this show, while I detest it. They are college-educated individuals playing a part and perpetuating stereotypes for monetary gain.

Why is it any different than any other sit com then?

I suppose because some people believe that this is real.

that is what annoys me about these shows. they always become caricatures of themselves. and then comes the over-commercialization where they get their faces on every product imaginable. and then people who love the show because 'those guys are just like me and my friends'. except they are not. they are multimillionaires who created characters to make more money. it is just too phony for me.

Why is it only the point where the word "homosexual" is included is causing such a back lash? Even his comments about black people isn't causing such a huge back lash. Why aren't drunkards, adulterers, greedy people..etc up in arms about this?

I honestly still don't understand what the big deal is about what he said and why he is getting suspended.

Truthfully, I haven't seen any backlash outside of A&E. Literally haven't seen a single gay rights group jumping on him or anyone condemning the man other than just saying "yeah he's an idiot." Like i said, it's a non-issue. Nobody was even all that upset about it. The only ones upset are the people supporting him.

The catalyst for the suspension was this reaction by GLAAD.

GQ Magazine’s profile of Phil Robertson included some of the vilest and most extreme statements uttered against LGBT people in a mainstream publication. His quote was littered with outdated stereotypes and blatant misinformation.

http://www.glaad.org/blog/duck-dynastys-phil-robertson-uses-vile-stereotypes-tell-gq-his-thoughts-lgbt-people

Which initiated the "backlash" that A&E responded to with the suspension.

After the suspension GLAAD took credit for the pressure they applied to A&E:

Following calls from GLAAD, A&E Network has placed Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty on an indefinite filming hiatus after he made anti-gay remarks in a recent profile in GQ Magazine.

http://www.glaad.org/blog/ae-network-places-star-indefinite-filming-hiatus-following-anti-gay-remarks

---

A&E, in a statement regarding the suspension and their reaction to his comments said this :

His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community.

I suppose because some people believe that this is real.

Well, there are also active threads about Santa Claus, Ghosts, and Tim Beck getting a HC job, so this fits right in on Huskerboard.

• Fire 1

Show me an example of the media firestorm, from someone other than Fox.

'Duck Dynasty' Phil Robertson's Other Outrageous Quotes From GQ Interview

‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson: Gays ‘won’t inherit the kingdom of God

I'm not the first one to use the word "firestorm".

“Duck Dynasty” reality star Phil Robertson has created a firestorm ahead of January’s issue of GQ, saying that homosexuality is illogical and gays “won’t inherit the kingdom of God.”

A google search will find many more articles in the media about his comments.

I bet you I have seen 8-10 stories on TV about his comments and none of them came from Foxnews since Foxnews is not allowed to be on in my house with me present.

Reporting that something happened isn't a firestorm.

Yes. Yes they are. And the people they're essentially mocking are flocking in droves to defend them. Its quite odd.

Is it a common fundamentalist belief that homosexuality is the starting point of sin? Or was that just poorly phrased?

Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong … Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there.

Or is he just saying that the tolerance of homosexuality is the starting point of the blurring between right and wrong?

It probably doesn't really matter. I'm just curious.

Is it a common fundamentalist belief that homosexuality is the starting point of sin? Or was that just poorly phrased?

Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong … Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there.

Or is he just saying that the tolerance of homosexuality is the starting point of the blurring between right and wrong?

It probably doesn't really matter. I'm just curious.

It depends. Some people take a more literal reading of Romans 1 to be expressing that homosexuality is the first step of God giving people over to their own sinful desires. Most don't, if you ask me, but I also think he might have just used his words very poorly.

Show me an example of the media firestorm, from someone other than Fox.

'Duck Dynasty' Phil Robertson's Other Outrageous Quotes From GQ Interview

‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson: Gays ‘won’t inherit the kingdom of God

I'm not the first one to use the word "firestorm".

“Duck Dynasty” reality star Phil Robertson has created a firestorm ahead of January’s issue of GQ, saying that homosexuality is illogical and gays “won’t inherit the kingdom of God.”

A google search will find many more articles in the media about his comments.

I bet you I have seen 8-10 stories on TV about his comments and none of them came from Foxnews since Foxnews is not allowed to be on in my house with me present.

Reporting that something happened isn't a firestorm.

So....These are just two articles out of many from the google search. One, labels his comments "outrageous". Hmmm.....why are the outrageous? The other one uses the term "firestorm" to describe what has happened since his comments.

Conga has pointed to a reaction from a group that shows what caused the suspension.

Non of this is from Foxnews.