Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

Is it a common fundamentalist belief that homosexuality is the starting point of sin? Or was that just poorly phrased?

Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong … Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there.

Or is he just saying that the tolerance of homosexuality is the starting point of the blurring between right and wrong?

It probably doesn't really matter. I'm just curious.

It depends. Some people take a more literal reading of Romans 1 to be expressing that homosexuality is the first step of God giving people over to their own sinful desires. Most don't, if you ask me, but I also think he might have just used his words very poorly.

http://tv.msn.com/tv...spx?news=844417

A&E's top executive carefully considered whether to suspend "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson

over his anti-gay remarks, and ultimately decided his comparison of homosexuality to bestiality was over the line, a network executive told TheWrap.

He didn't compare Homosexuality to bestiality any more than he compared greedy people and drunkards to bestiality.

Reporting that something happened isn't a firestorm.

whatever is trending on twitter is a firestorm.

Agreed.

Is it a common fundamentalist belief that homosexuality is the starting point of sin? Or was that just poorly phrased?

Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong … Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there.

Or is he just saying that the tolerance of homosexuality is the starting point of the blurring between right and wrong?

It probably doesn't really matter. I'm just curious.

I read it that he felt homosexual acceptance (not the act itself) is a "gateway drug" of sort to beginning to accept all sorts of other sexual sins. If gay sex is OK, than adultery is OK too. That sort of thing.

Remember, this is an interview - not a well thought out op-ed. Most people are better at writing something down and then editing it so it best conveys the point they wanted to get across - and even then, the reader may get the wrong idea.

Language and communication is are is are hard.

I read it that he felt homosexual acceptance (not the act itself) is a "gateway drug" of sort to beginning to accept all sorts of other sexual sins. If gay sex is OK, than adultery is OK too. That sort of thing.

That's my guess, too.

Remember, this is an interview - not a well thought out op-ed.

Yep. That's what I was referring to with the poorly phrased part.

Reporting that something happened isn't a firestorm.

whatever is trending on twitter is a firestorm.

But that's not necessarily a media firestorm. Nor necessarily a firestorm created by people criticizing this character.

no, but i think the media likes 'firestorms' and will use whatever they can to bolster a story. and it is a self-perpetuating machine once it gets started.

I really don't give two sh#ts about this story or duck dynasty. I saw one of the long bearded guys sing a Christmas ditty on a country Christmas special (thought it was on par with grandma got run over) and it made me curious what all the hubbub was about dd, so I watched part of a show prior to this incident. I don't plan on watching it again but I do feel I got a taste of what the shows about.

What intrigues me about this story are the people reacting as if this guys opinion is wrong. Imo, opinions cannot be "wrong", only popular or unpopular. An opinion is an object just like a cloud. Who can say a cloud is right or wrong and prove it?

I feel a&e overreacted but that is their prerogative. But, it made me think, what if the roles were reversed. What if a reality show star said he felt homosexuality was A ok and the company felt differently and suspended that person for voicing their opinion, outside the context of the show, just like Phil did? I get the distinct feeling some of you who are calling him a backwards racist so and so would not see that is the exact same thing.

• Fire 1

Good point's, JJ.

I am getting concerned that this country is getting to the point that nothing can be said about anyone or group of people without backlash.

The guy does an interview and says he follows the Bible. The Bible tells him that homosexuality is a sin. So when asked what is a sin, he naturally, says homosexuality among adultery, beastiality, etc.

He believes it's a sin and doesn't condone it. The more I read the more I am inclined to say that regardless of my opinion of the show, this guy is getting a raw deal from A & E.

• Fire 1

The facts of the industry are that if you are a prominent figure in a TV show, you are a representative of that TV show when you're giving interviews. He has every right to say something like that, and A&E has every right to disapprove and make a point by removing him from the show. People can think he's getting a raw deal or whatever all they like, but when you run your mouth about constroversial sh#t, there are sometimes consequences. The end.

• Fire 2

The facts of the industry are that if you are a prominent figure in a TV show, you are a representative of that TV show when you're giving interviews. He has every right to say something like that, and A&E has every right to disapprove and make a point by removing him from the show. People can think he's getting a raw deal or whatever all they like, but when you run your mouth about constroversial sh#t, there are sometimes consequences. The end.

Nobody is disputing that A&E has every right to suspend him/fire him for what ever reason they see fit. And, he has the right to say what ever he wants. That isn't in dispute.

Right, which is exactly why the entire thing is retarded and there should be no discussion whatsoever. But because he's some backwater hick that wipes his ass with thousand dollar bills, makes duck calls, and has a TV show, it's news. Woopity f'ing doo.

And while millions of American Christians are up in arms defending the millionaire hillbilly, 45 Christians were recently tortured and murdered in Syria with virtually no major news coverage or exposure.

I am still astounded this is a story. I don't agree with his personal opinions, but his main message was he doesn't agree with how some people conduct their lives but he will still love them and let the God he believes in judge them.

As a non-Christian I find this refreshing, rather than condemn the guy there should be a dialogue that should start.

• Fire 2

I am still astounded this is a story. I don't agree with his personal opinions, but his main message was he doesn't agree with how some people conduct their lives but he will still love them and let the God he believes in judge them.

As a non-Christian I find this refreshing, rather than condemn the guy there should be a dialogue that should start.

Completely agree!!!!