Lets see if the brass supports the coach and team.

The next two weeks will tell us as much about the direction of the program by the influence of the chancellor and AD. Bo's annual review will take place and in all honesty is should be a positive review and have a 1 year extension. If this isn't done then we know they are trying to weaken the foundation that's in place. I know people don't think its that hard to win 9 games every year anymore because we play an additional game each year but if it were that easy there would be more than 3 teams that have done it 6 years in a row.

Extensions and raises for most of the current staff so they can keep those folks. Most are already being contacted by other coaches about openings. One of the biggest things to help the next step is to keep these guys currently on staff (with maybe assignment adjustments).

Also on the table is the request for 6-8 more full time dedicated staff positions for recruiting with actual competitive salaries. Bama pays Steele 300k per year to do this. I don't think we're asking for that but we need more than $40,000 for some of these roles. We also need a way for our staff to have more private plane time would also help when life is busy in early evaluation periods and late recruiting pushes.

More athlete support in the form of study facilities, life skills coaching, life after football education, tutors, etc

and FYI part of the reason AA is considering the draft is due to some of the unrest here in Lincoln with the team feeling like the department does not fully support it.

This seems a bit of a stretch doesn't it? You don't think AA is looking at the lifespan of a RB as far as carries and basing his decision on that?

part**

and FYI part of the reason AA is considering the draft is due to some of the unrest here in Lincoln with the team feeling like the department does not fully support it.

This seems a bit of a stretch doesn't it? You don't think AA is looking at the lifespan of a RB as far as carries and basing his decision on that?

part**

I still have trouble believing he is partially basing his decision for his final season on whether the administration is supporting the staff. They support them enough to bring them back for AA's last season. I also don't think AA is the kind of person that would bail when him coming back would help his coach win more games and therefore be safe in the eyes of everyone.

I can't see him being that kind of "take my ball and go home" kind of guy. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

If there's an extension and if they pay to retain the entire staff, Bo and his assistants had better be willing to make some concessions of their own.

A top-to-bottom reevaluation of allocation of duties, beginning with but not limited to Special Teams coach(ing).

A realistic assessment of the effectiveness of play calling and both offensive and defensive philosophies.

A sincere effort to eliminate the "us vs. them" mentality of the coaching staff, and by extension the players. The fans are not "them." Mere words are not enough on this front.

There's more, but that's a start. I'm fine keeping Bo and everyone on the staff if it means doing what we're doing now, but there MUST be recognition that there are fundamental issues which need addressing and fixing. If that doesn't happen, I cannot condone keeping this staff intact.

Good post. +1

They supported Bo when the retained him. If it goes too much farther beyond that they're crazy. Bo's a clown. I'm sick and tired of turning on the TV to watch a Husker game, seeing the other team evaluated and their season recapped - then when it gets to the Huskers it's 90% Bo Pelini and his drama filled season. Little talk of the team, little talk of the players. It's just one thing after another regarding his attitude, the tape, the other crap, etc. He's an embarrassment, and the only thing more embarrassing is if we continue to guarantee that guy millions of dollars when he's clearly walking a fine line.

• Fire 6

Quick, honest question:

How many years are left on the contract? And why would there be an 'extension' if there is more than say...3-4 yrs left on the contract? I could see an extension is there were 2 yrs left, but didn't Bo just get a raise and extension 2 yrs ago?

The next two weeks will tell us as much about the direction of the program by the influence of the chancellor and AD. Bo's annual review will take place and in all honesty is should be a positive review and have a 1 year extension. If this isn't done then we know they are trying to weaken the foundation that's in place. I know people don't think its that hard to win 9 games every year anymore because we play an additional game each year but if it were that easy there would be more than 3 teams that have done it 6 years in a row.

There is no problem with winning 9 games every year. That's great. If 9-10 wins is the ceiling . . . that is a problem.

Also on the table is the request for 6-8 more full time dedicated staff positions for recruiting with actual competitive salaries. Bama pays Steele 300k per year to do this. I don't think we're asking for that but we need more than $40,000 for some of these roles. We also need a way for our staff to have more private plane time would also help when life is busy in early evaluation periods and late recruiting pushes.

Sounds good to me. Football brings in more than enough revenue to justify some extra spending.

More athlete support in the form of study facilities, life skills coaching, life after football education, tutors, etc

Has this dropped off? I always thought Nebraska was leading the pack with this sort of thing.

I seriously doubt that.

• Fire 2

I'm sick and tired of turning on the TV to watch a Husker game, seeing the other team evaluated and their season recapped - then when it gets to the Huskers it's 90% Bo Pelini and his drama filled season. Little talk of the team, little talk of the players. It's just one thing after another regarding his attitude, the tape, the other crap, etc. He's an embarrassment, and the only thing more embarrassing is if we continue to guarantee that guy millions of dollars when he's clearly walking a fine line.

While Bo brings a lot of that on himself, you're mostly upset about the way the various channels choose to portray him with this. He is not entirely drama-filled, that's a story line they're pushing. ESPN/ABC have a vested interest in portraying Bo this way, and they do, frequently. It's not inaccurate, it's just not the whole picture.

• Fire 2

If there's an extension and if they pay to retain the entire staff, Bo and his assistants had better be willing to make some concessions of their own.

A top-to-bottom reevaluation of allocation of duties, beginning with but not limited to Special Teams coach(ing).

A realistic assessment of the effectiveness of play calling and both offensive and defensive philosophies.

A sincere effort to eliminate the "us vs. them" mentality of the coaching staff, and by extension the players. The fans are not "them." Mere words are not enough on this front.

There's more, but that's a start. I'm fine keeping Bo and everyone on the staff if it means doing what we're doing now, but there MUST be recognition that there are fundamental issues which need addressing and fixing. If that doesn't happen, I cannot condone keeping this staff intact.

Bo has already stated there will be changes in duties. ST is the main focus. I don't think he's stated "they're perfect in everyway or that the fans aren't smart enough to understand". To me i was shocked to learn that RB was incharge of the PR duties which to me was one of the bigger areas we need to fix. I honestly would like Bo to take over the ST stuff.

Thats what his family told a friend who was at the pre-games stuff the day before we played.

Quick, honest question:

How many years are left on the contract? And why would there be an 'extension' if there is more than say...3-4 yrs left on the contract? I could see an extension is there were 2 yrs left, but didn't Bo just get a raise and extension 2 yrs ago?

There are 4 years left. Its standard in coaching to be working on a 5 yr contract because of recruiting. Its hard to sell a family on you'll be here for the kid's entire playing days when your contract doesn't go out at least that far.

There is no problem with winning 9 games every year. That's great. If 9-10 wins is the ceiling . . . that is a problem.

Sounds good to me. Football brings in more than enough revenue to justify some extra spending.

Has this dropped off? I always thought Nebraska was leading the pack with this sort of thing.

I seriously doubt that.

As far as the schooling and athlete support we are still very well in that area but with the demands of football taking more time there needs to be more flexibility for the guys to take advantage. So more hours, tutors etc to help fit the students schedule as well.