Why doesn't Nebraska hire a quarterback coach?

I have my own opinions on which staff members I would like to see let go, but that's not the point of my topic. If Bo likes everyone on his staff so be it. But it baffles me why we won't hire a real quarterbacks coach; someone to coach the most important position in football. I don't expect Pelini to be able to hire an NFL caliber QB coach; but it would be nice to get someone who knows what he's doing & see some quarterback development. I know Tim Beck is listed as QB Coach; IMO the quarterback development under him has been subpar. Taylor's improvement from So. to Jr. year was a result of him going to California & working with Steve Calhoun. I really think hiring a competent QB coach would be very good for the success of our football team

Have you ever coached FBS football? If not then stop and let the coaches do their damn job!

By this logic, you cannot:

-bitch about service in a restaurant if you weren't a waiter.

-bitch about kids if you aren't a parent.

-bitch about your car service if you aren't a mechanic

-bitch about your late flight if you aren't a pilot.

-and on and on and on

It's a valid point. The quarterback the program hitched most of its hopes on for the last four years had to go outside the program for the help he thought he needed. That's not the best management plan.

tumblr_liab6ffozg1qa4th6o1_400.jpg

I believe we are already at the max for full time assistant coaches and therefore would have to let someone go to do this.

This is correct can have a head coach and 9 assistants so who would go to add a QB only coach?

Beck

Brown

Cotton

Els

Fisher

Garrison

Joseph (if he is still here)

Kaz

Papuchis

Barney Cotton is who you cut. No matter what you think of him or whatever, just think about his duties. He is the TE coach. The same TE's who were targeted like 15 times this year and caught a total of 6 passes or so. His recruiting ground is Nebraska, which takes minimal effort. You think Barney had to work hard to get Bando to commit?

We should cut Barney not because he sucks or isn't a good coach, it's because we should replace a guy who coaches a position that gets 5 touches a year for a guy who coaches a position who touches the ball 750 times per year.

I could see Garrison and Fisher spliting the duties of coaching the TEs if we let go of Barney.

Just a quick survey of teams that came to mind:

Alabama - Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach

Georgia - OC/QB Coach

Auburn - No QB Coach listed

Florida State - No OC but does have a QB coach. Jimbo calls the plays so he's the OC (even though good college coaches don't have time to be the coordinator too)

Oregon - OC/QB Coach

USC - OC/QB Coach

Clemson - OC/QB Coach

Oklahoma - Co-OC/QB Coach

Oklahoma St. - OC/QB Coach

Baylor - OC/QB Coach

Ohio St. - OC/QB Coach

Michigan - OC/QB Coach

LSU - OC/QB Coach

Stanford - QB Coach/WR Coach/Recruiting Coordinator

So on that list, Florida State is the only one with a dedicated QB coach, and that's because they don't have an offensive coordinator. Auburn doesn't have a QB coach listed. Stanford has a combined QB & WR coach. Everyone else has their OC serve as their QB coach. This is the most overblown complaint about our coaching staff that I can think of.

Many want Ganz to stay on at QB coach. I'd be fine with him staying on but is he suddenly going to get smarter and become a better coach because he has a different title? Otherwise we have an OC who works with QBs plus a GA working basically exclusively with QBs. That's a lot of attention to the QB spot.

• Fire 1

Georgia - OC/QB Coach

Florida State - No OC but does have a QB coach. Jimbo calls the plays so he's the OC (even though good college coaches don't have time to be the coordinator too)

Oregon - OC/QB Coach

USC - OC/QB Coach

Clemson - OC/QB Coach

Baylor - OC/QB Coach

Ohio St. - OC/QB Coach

Michigan - OC/QB Coach

LSU - OC/QB Coach

So on that list, Florida State is the only one with a dedicated QB coach, and that's because they don't have an offensive coordinator. Auburn doesn't have a QB coach listed. Stanford has a combined QB & WR coach. Everyone else has their OC serve as their QB coach. This is the most overblown complaint about our coaching staff that I can think of.

Many want Ganz to stay on at QB coach. I'd be fine with him staying on but is he suddenly going to get smarter and become a better coach because he has a different title? Otherwise we have an OC who works with QBs plus a GA working basically exclusively with QBs. That's a lot of attention to the QB spot.

How many of those OC/QB Coaches have a quote saying:

"I don't always have time to work on the mechanics and little things with our QBs because of my installation duties."

No one is complaining that Beck handles the QB duties, but he himself has said he doesn't have time to work with them enough. So again, we have a coach that coaches a position that gets 5 touches per year. Wouldn't it be more valuable to get a coach who coaches a position who touches it 750 times per year?

"I don't always have time to work on the mechanics and little things with our QBs because of my installation duties."

No one is complaining that Beck handles the QB duties, but he himself has said he doesn't have time to work with them enough. So again, we have a coach that coaches a position that gets 5 touches per year. Wouldn't it be more valuable to get a coach who coaches a position who touches it 750 times per year?

Thus, we have a GA who works with QBs.

Do you not want a couple coaches working with all the guys blocking for the guy who touches the ball 750 times per year? That would seem to be important to make sure those guys are all doing their job correctly. You know, considering that's usually at least 50% of the guys on the field at any one time.

The quarterback the program hitched most of its hopes on for the last four years had to go outside the program for the help he thought he needed. That's not the best management plan.

That was more about Taylor and how far he had to go with his QB mechanics, and not anything to do with the availability of quarterback coaching at Nebraska. You only get so much time you're allowed to coach a guy, too. The catchup work Taylor had to do himself and it's because of how raw his fundamentals were.

Every quarterback works on their fundamentals all the time, too. That's not unusual.

Thus, we have a GA who works with QBs.

Do you not want a couple coaches working with all the guys blocking for the guy who touches the ball 750 times per year? That would seem to be important to make sure those guys are all doing their job correctly. You know, considering that's usually at least 50% of the guys on the field at any one time.

Do most other programs have one guy handle the OL? I honestly dont know for sure, but my guess would be only one guy. Clearly Bo didn't think Barney was doing a great job or he wouldn't have moved Garrison into the position to replace Barney.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly - you're comfortable with Ron Kellogg coaching and teaching the QB position to Tommy, Stanton, and Darlington? Ron Kellogg.

Again. What would the qb coach's duties be? Remember now, these coaches only have so much time with these players. It's not unlimited. I would rather have a qb making the right decisions within the offense and putting the ball where it's supposed to be being taught by the OC as opposed to being to picky in how it gets there in technique and mechanics taught by an exclusive qb coach. Are there even an abundance of QB coaches in the NFL and high school? I dont think there is. It just shows the direction of football. It's such a mind game and x's and o's game that the mental preparedness is as much if not more important to a qb than anything. And like has been said before, with the limited time they can spend with the coaches, they have to use that time on the mental part. They can get their mechanics and physical training anytime.

I guess I would just like to know what duties the qb coach would handle.?

Georgia - OC/QB Coach

Oregon - OC/QB Coach

USC - OC/QB Coach

Clemson - OC/QB Coach

Baylor - OC/QB Coach

Ohio St. - OC/QB Coach

Michigan - OC/QB Coach

LSU - OC/QB Coach

Thanks for this quick reference.