Abdullah questions stree RB?

I don't know whether or not Ameer Abdullah will be leaving for the NFL draft this year, but if he does do you all think that the staff will try to bring in another RB or two? I have kind of assumed that Ballage has moved on and Avery is thinking Texas, so what other RBs are we looking at?

If we strike out with Ballage and Avery we could offer Phillips, but I wouldn't mind waiting until 2015 to take someone we really want.

I agree, granted I haven't watched the film on Phillips and quite a few posters liked it, I wouldn't mind being picky and waiting till 2015. That class has some serious interest from big names.

May get burned for this but I'm not sold on Calvin Strong.. There will be a huge uproar if he doesn't get an offer, but it wouldnt bother me. JMO of course.

I'd have to join you on this. Nothing against the guy. I wouldn't at all mind if he ends up here and can prove himself. But I'm not sure how he'd do at this point.

May get burned for this but I'm not sold on Calvin Strong.. There will be a huge uproar if he doesn't get an offer, but it wouldnt bother me. JMO of course.

I'd have to join you on this. Nothing against the guy. I wouldn't at all mind if he ends up here and can prove himself. But I'm not sure how he'd do at this point.

Give the kid his senior year. If you're not sold on him, I don't see how you'd be sold on Taurus Phillips either. Regardless, we should save the scholarship if we can't get one of those two.

RB class just thinned today. Leaves us with Cross, Newby ,Taylor. Maybe Nabity can get into the mix? If Ameer went, we'd rely pretty heavily on these 3. That's not a lot of depth. When Rex went down, it took 3 backs behind him to pick up the load. Think about our backfield minus Ameer and Newby (if he got injurred). Doesn't work very well while breaking in a new QB.

I think they need to grab a RB in this class now.

• Fire 1

RB class just thinned today. Leaves us with Cross, Newby ,Taylor. Maybe Nabity can get into the mix? If Ameer went, we'd rely pretty heavily on these 3. That's not a lot of depth. When Rex went down, it took 3 backs behind him to pick up the load. Think about our backfield minus Ameer and Newby (if he got injurred). Doesn't work very well while breaking in a new QB.

I think they need to grab a RB in this class now.

I'm not so sure we had 3 backs pick up the load when Rex went down. Ameer carried it the most for 1100 yards and Cross and Heard combined for 600 yards and 10 TD's. I would be led to believe that if Rex had not gotten injured, the workload would have been dispensed somewhat the same way.

My opinion about Calvin Strong is about the same. I was not overly impressed with him. But the kicker is, he's a homestate guy. And we have got to damn well build a fence around us and not let the few prospects we have go. It's not like he's a 1 star walkon caliber guy. He's pretty high profile. Guys like that really should be automatic offers in my opinion. That's how the connection from the program to the high school kids in this state is solidified. It's already a disappointment to me that Phillips went to Stanford. I know, the Stanford ed. is quite the deal, but still, if Bo wants to take the next step and get that prestigous instate connection and the pride instilled into the young kids about wanting to come here no matter what, no one should get out of this state. The kid from Giltner that went to Iowa shouldnt have been allowed to get away in my opinion either.

Just my thoughts.

My opinion about Calvin Strong is about the same. I was not overly impressed with him. But the kicker is, he's a homestate guy. And we have got to damn well build a fence around us and not let the few prospects we have go. It's not like he's a 1 star walkon caliber guy. He's pretty high profile. Guys like that really should be automatic offers in my opinion. That's how the connection from the program to the high school kids in this state is solidified. It's already a disappointment to me that Phillips went to Stanford. I know, the Stanford ed. is quite the deal, but still, if Bo wants to take the next step and get that prestigous instate connection and the pride instilled into the young kids about wanting to come here no matter what, no one should get out of this state. The kid from Giltner that went to Iowa shouldnt have been allowed to get away in my opinion either.

Just my thoughts.

Totally agree on Strong.

It's tough to know where to draw the line. Ott is starting at DE on a pretty good Iowa defense so he's obviously good. But then I compare him to Gregory, Moss and McMullen and think the coaches made the right choice.

If we don't get another RB in this class, I could definitely see an offer go out to Strong (and he might get one anyway).

Just my thoughts.

Totally agree on Strong.

It's tough to know where to draw the line. Ott is starting at DE on a pretty good Iowa defense so he's obviously good. But then I compare him to Gregory, Moss and McMullen and think the coaches made the right choice.

If we don't get another RB in this class, I could definitely see an offer go out to Strong (and he might get one anyway).

I agree here. A buddy and I were discussing it earlier in the year. To take 4 DE's in that class would have been a little much...and which of the 3 we got are you going to tell no?

As for Strong, I like his game. I would like to see him get faster and stronger going into and through his senior year, I am guessing the coaches are waiting to see it also.

While I agree fully on the DE's we have being better than Ott, it wasnt really about playing time or performance. I dont even care if he rides the bench for 5 years. I'm sorry if it would be a wasted scholly to the blind eye, but I'm speaking more to the intangible connection with the high school kids of this state. Ott was a Nebraska kid. He should be playing for Nebraska. No ifs ands buts about it. It's a connection that Callahan tore apart and that we've been trying to rebuild since. One that I think is a top key to glory for Nebraska. If someone has even a speck of D1 ability, he needs to be ending up in Lincoln regardless. I know we cant waste schollies on prideful, NAIA level, walk-on type guys, but guys like Ott were offered by numerous other programs in D1. He went and made an immediate impact for our manufactured arch rival. Phillps was allowed to go to Stanford. There's just no way Strong should be allowed to get away in my opinion. Just my thoughts. And theyve kinda changed over the past year. We gotta keep our guys here-what few we have to begin with.

While I agree fully on the DE's we have being better than Ott, it wasnt really about playing time or performance. I dont even care if he rides the bench for 5 years. I'm sorry if it would be a wasted scholly to the blind eye, but I'm speaking more to the intangible connection with the high school kids of this state. Ott was a Nebraska kid. He should be playing for Nebraska. No ifs ands buts about it. It's a connection that Callahan tore apart and that we've been trying to rebuild since. One that I think is a top key to glory for Nebraska. If someone has even a speck of D1 ability, he needs to be ending up in Lincoln regardless. I know we cant waste schollies on prideful, NAIA level, walk-on type guys, but guys like Ott were offered by numerous other programs in D1. He went and made an immediate impact for our manufactured arch rival. Phillps was allowed to go to Stanford. There's just no way Strong should be allowed to get away in my opinion. Just my thoughts. And theyve kinda changed over the past year. We gotta keep our guys here-what few we have to begin with.

I kind of go back and forth on this one. I think both Ott and the OL from Cambrige (Shoff or something along those lines) - should have had schollies.

But you look at a lot of the Nebraska kids, and you can almost guarantee they need to be 4th year juniors, 5th year seniors before they can contribute. Guys like Evans, Marsh, ARod, (even J. Cotton). Not many of the NE kids are going to contribute for more than a year or two. ARod had a decent season, but shouldn't have seen the field in such a prominent role until this year. (should have redshirted, be nice to have him back) Who knows what will happen with Reeves. Not sure what happened with Sutton (injury?) but he's not making an impact on a team with virtually no TEs. Davie was a so-so speedster we'll probably never hear from again (I had high hopes for him). Sam Cotton is still young. Jake Cotton will probably contribute in that 5th year senior role and be one of the best in the last 4 classes. Not exactly saying much for Nebraska tallent of recent though is it?

We've recruited something like 10 or 11 guys out of Nebraska in the last 4 classes, and maybe 2-3 have been decent contributers (I know everyone has their own definition for that). But you look at the last couple of classes and the percentage has been much higher for the out of state kids, and those guys are freshman/sophomores.

Bottom line, I think you've gotta be careful with the Nebraska kids. Ironically the most criticized offers (the 3 Cottons) are looking like some of the better Nebraska offers in the Pelini era.