4-team playoff fun: What might have been

1981:

#4 Nebraska vs #1 Clemson

#3 Georgia vs #2 Alabama

You'd assume the same result probably happens with us and Clemson.

1982:

#1 Georgia vs. #4 Southern Methodist

#2 Penn State vs. #3 Nebraska

Oooh, wouldn't that have been sweet.

1983:

#1 Nebraska vs. #4 Illinois

#2 Texas vs. #3 Auburn

No question we probably win this bracket going away. Miami at #5 gets to sit on their asses and dream.

1993:

#1 Florida State vs. #4 Notre Dame

#2 Nebraska vs. #3 West Virginia

No controversy, unless of course we get FSU again and get reamed by the officials again.

1994:

#1 Nebraska vs. #4 Colorado (rematch)

#2 Penn State vs. #3 Miami, FL

It's tough to beat anybody twice, but I think that Husker team does it. Would have been interesting to see how the hyped '94 PSU offense does against that Miami D, especially if it's in Miami.

1995:

#1 Nebraska vs. #4 Tennessee

#2 Florida vs. #3 Northwestern

Semantics. Nobody was beating us this year.

1997:

#1 Michigan vs #4 Florida State

#2 Nebraska vs. #3 Tennessee

Well, we know how one semi-final turns out.

1999:

#1 Florida State vs. #4 Wisconsin

#2 Virginia Tech vs. #3 Nebraska

This and 1982 are my two favorite permutations on this list, since they involved two Nebraska teams who IMO were the best team in the nation but kept out of the title game because of referees and because of Michael Vick mania (okay, and some fumbles). I think we are a real shot to win both of these brackets from the third slot.

2001:

#1 Miami FL vs #4 Nebraska

#2 Oregon vs #3 Colorado

As we know, this actually happened. Too bad the de-facto title game didn't follow, but I'm not convinced anyone beats Miami that year anyway.

For those curious, I used the pre-bowl AP rankings.

I think Nebraska wins at least two more titles than they currently own. I think '83 and '99 are ours, and I think we get revenge on PSU in the '82 semi-final and at least play in the title game.

• Fire 6

I think 82 and 93 might have been championships as well if played on a neutral field. The 82 team was arguably the best in the country and probably had a better defense than 83. The shafting at Penn St cost us a shot to play them again. 93 with different refs and away from Fla could have been a great game. Looking back it's amazing how many times we were in the discussion and failed to get the brass ring.

How would '96 have looked?

Good point. Based on polls, I think we're out. But the selection committee may have put us in. Obviously Fla St, Fla, and AZSt were the top 3. Ohio St probably the 4th. They won the Big10 that year with just 1 loss.

I too would assume we would be a touch shy. But looking at all those years we would be in or damn near in makes me wish this whole BCS thing couldve been avoidednin the first place. There was nothing standing in the way of a 4 team playoff other than the figureheads.

Good post - I think the 82, 83 & 99 teams were 3 of the best all time teams to not win the NC. The 82 team got jobbed at PSU - it was a better team than the scoring explosion team of 83 - better D.

The 99 team was basically the 97 team all over again - except for one fumble at texas - I think they would have walked away wt the BCS crown. The 93 team had great heart and on a neutral field would have beaten FSU - Again, it is easy to see 4 more NC if one thing was changed in one game

82 PSU 1 yard out of bounds

83 tipped extra point Miami NCG

93 - phantom clip on punt return fsu NCG

99 - fumble going across goal line texas

I think 82 and 93 might have been championships as well if played on a neutral field. The 82 team was arguably the best in the country and probably had a better defense than 83. The shafting at Penn St cost us a shot to play them again. 93 with different refs and away from Fla could have been a great game. Looking back it's amazing how many times we were in the discussion and failed to get the brass ring.

Only the Atlanta Braves of the 90's would have had a more hapless record of "lost opportunities" in championships.

Only the Atlanta Braves of the 90's would have had a more hapless record of "lost opportunities" in championships.

Th Buffallo Bills say hello...

Th Buffallo Bills say hello...

And my Minn Vikings