SIGNED WR Jariah Tolbert

I spoke to a friend of mine, who follows LSU football extremely close, and he said he remembers this kid in LSU's camp last year. Said the kid is a stud. Had LSU not been after all these 5* WR's, he is sure they would have offered the kid. He stated that the kid could be the next Quincy Enunwa for us, if he adds some weight. Also stated that the kid should be at least a 3* (going off Rivals). I think him gaining 30 pounds by his playing time (expecting him to RS) is very doable. Taller, just as fast and just as big as Quincy? Damn...

Seriously guys, who gives a crap about 40 times?

If you think they're a good way to evaluate players, you need to go away and come back after you've educated yourself.

Well, I have never seen a WR run a 5.0 40, so the 40 time shows some threshold of a player's ability. If Chris Johnson runs a 4.6 instead of a 4.24, he doesn't get drafted and certainly doesn't run for 2000 yards in an NFL season. No, a 40 times doesn't matter by itself, but it shows a player's potential capabilities and how that can translate on to the football field. So who gives a crap about 40 times? Every NFL coach, scout, GM, owners, people who evaluate players for a living - exactly what we are doing here, evaluating a player.

• Fire 2

If you think they're a good way to evaluate players, you need to go away and come back after you've educated yourself.

Well, I have never seen a WR run a 5.0 40, so the 40 time shows some threshold of a player's ability. If Chris Johnson runs a 4.6 instead of a 4.24, he doesn't get drafted and certainly doesn't run for 2000 yards in an NFL season. No, a 40 times doesn't matter by itself, but it shows a player's potential capabilities and how that can translate on to the football field. So who gives a crap about 40 times? Every NFL coach, scout, GM, owners, people who evaluate players for a living - exactly what we are doing here, evaluating a player.

They also look at production. You can run a 3.8 40 for all I care but if it doesn't translate to catches and yards then you're useless. This kid has proven he can produce against top flight high school talent. Not much more you can ask for from a HS kid.

Saying he doesn't get drafted is a ridiculous statement in itself.

They also look at production. You can run a 3.8 40 for all I care but if it doesn't translate to catches and yards then you're useless. This kid has proven he can produce against top flight high school talent. Not much more you can ask for from a HS kid.

Agree. Ask the raiders how Darius Heyward Bey worked out.
  • Fire 1

Agree. Ask the raiders how Darius Heyward Bey worked out.

Damn beat me to asking how drafting based on 40 times is working for the Raiders.

This guy is a red zone threat. I like it. He doesn't have to run a fast 40 to go up and get a ball. You run good routes, get good separation from the db, 40 takes a back seat. 40 time is great, but its not the end all be all. What's great about this........we have good relations with Edna Carr. Who produces d1 talent. So we went down south and got some talent. Love it.

This guy is a red zone threat. I like it. He doesn't have to run a fast 40 to go up and get a ball. You run good routes, get good separation from the db, 40 takes a back seat. 40 time is great, but its not the end all be all. What's great about this........we have good relations with Edna Carr. Who produces d1 talent. So we went down south and got some talent. Love it.

This is the best part about this. Getting in good with the coaches down there would be huge for us. Obviously might not get the best kid from the school but there is plenty of talent down there that can play. This kid looks like one of those kids too.

Anquan Boldin ran a 4.80 40 yard dash......

Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 40 yard dash.... he turned out to be pretty decent.

Source: http://www.jetnation.com/2013/04/03/are-nfl-prospects-40-yard-dash-times-overvalued/

• Fire 1

I'm not saying a good 40 time makes a good player and a bad 40 times makes a bad player. But 40 times help evaluate a player's ability and how it will translate on the field.

Again, I'm sure all you are really brilliant and the people who run NFL teams are the ones that are wrong. I can't argue with incompetent, uneducated, and uninformed.