National All-BCS-era Team

Of course, Alex Henery is passed up....so that's normal behavior...like he was passed up for the Groza.

Over Janikowski? :dunno

Janikowski has a huge leg (literally and figuratively) so he may have the edge in touchbacks but Henry also played two more years. So, to answer your question, yes - I think an argument can be made.

Janikowsky kicked off from the 35. Henery didnt handle kickoffs, and if he did, he woulda had to do it from the 30.

Of course, Alex Henery is passed up....so that's normal behavior...like he was passed up for the Groza.

Over Janikowski? :dunno

Yeah I agree with Chris. Janikowski scored 324 points in 3 years and was a 2 time Groza award winner and 2 time consensus All-American

Henery scored 397 points in 4 years and never goat above second team all Big 12.

I know he was a great kicker and punter for us but I don't think the comparison is close.

That's where I'm coming from. Janikowski kicked in a different era as well. I have nothing to back it up - it would likely take a ton of research - but kicking coaches and the emphasis on kicking wasn't as big back then. States are kind of apples-organges 15 years later, as Henery has so much more science behind him. 79.5% wouldn't putting a guy in the top 10 today, but back then that was about as good as it got.

That's where I'm coming from. Janikowski kicked in a different era as well. I have nothing to back it up - it would likely take a ton of research - but kicking coaches and the emphasis on kicking wasn't as big back then. States are kind of apples-organges 15 years later, as Henery has so much more science behind him. 79.5% wouldn't putting a guy in the top 10 today, but back then that was about as good as it got.

Really. You need to do some actual research instead of presenting all your opinions as facts.

Here are some stats from 1999, Janikowski's last year in college. It only lists five kickers - the top five in field goals made per game - so the sample size is pretty small. Janikowski leads in makes per game but he has the worst percentage of the five on the list. He's over 10 percentage points worse that the top guy, and that's not even necessarily the most accurate kicker of that year. So basically he had a good reputation as a guy who can kick it a long ways and played for a high profile team. He really wasn't a particularly accurate kicker.

Great for SUH. Taking the glass half empty approach:

For me, the sad thing is not seeing a NU offensive lineman on the list. Prior to 1998 we probably could have 2 OL on the list for a 16 year period.

Would like to have seen Ruud on the list and one of our DBs - Bullocks. But since we haven't won anything in that same span (except 1 cc in 99) - individuals get a bit lost in comparison to more relevant teams. No one can ignore SUH even if he was on two 4 loss teams.

Prior to 1998 and going 16 years back: NU may have 2 def Ends, a D tackle, a line backer, 2 DBs, 2 OLs, 1 RB, and one outstanding QB under consideration on this kind of list. Not that all would get it but we'd have someone in just about every position who could have been considered.

Not to be THAT guy but it says he kicked for 3 years.

http://en.wikipedia....tian_Janikowski

http://www.sports-re...nikowski-1.html

Yep - stats for both over three years:

Janikowski - 126/129 PATs (97.7%) - 66/83 FGs (79.5%) - Long: 56 yds - 324 points

Henery - 148/149 PATs (99.3%) - 60/68 FGs (88.2%) - Long: 57 yards - 328 points

+1 This says it all for me. Throwing all bias aside, I know which one I'd take without question.

Great for SUH. Taking the glass half empty approach:

For me, the sad thing is not seeing a NU offensive lineman on the list. Prior to 1998 we probably could have 2 OL on the list for a 16 year period.

Would like to have seen Ruud on the list and one of our DBs - Bullocks. But since we haven't won anything in that same span (except 1 cc in 99) - individuals get a bit lost in comparison to more relevant teams. No one can ignore SUH even if he was on two 4 loss teams.

Prior to 1998 and going 16 years back: NU may have 2 def Ends, a D tackle, a line backer, 2 DBs, 2 OLs, 1 RB, and one outstanding QB under consideration on this kind of list. Not that all would get it but we'd have someone in just about every position who could have been considered.

Dont forget, Suh also made some impact on a 5-7 and 9-5 teams, which makes this accomplishment that much more neat.

Not to be THAT guy but it says he kicked for 3 years.

http://en.wikipedia....tian_Janikowski

http://www.sports-re...nikowski-1.html

Yep - stats for both over three years:

Janikowski - 126/129 PATs (97.7%) - 66/83 FGs (79.5%) - Long: 56 yds - 324 points

Henery - 148/149 PATs (99.3%) - 60/68 FGs (88.2%) - Long: 57 yards - 328 points

+1 This says it all for me. Throwing all bias aside, I know which one I'd take without question.

Henery's accuracy was unbelievable. 27-27 from under 30 yards, 15-16 from 30-39, 21-22 from 40-49, and finally drops to 5-11 from 50 and over. I found an article that said Janikowski only made 4 from 50 and over. He was just more of a story, being international and big and boisterous, and they tell stories of 70 yarders in practice. Hell, he probably should really be 3rd, with Gramatica 2nd.

Henery also punted 2 years, over 42 yard average, if you needed a bonus to counter SJ's kickoffs.