When 9 wins a year isn't the whole story.

NUpolo8

Those who are happy just seeing the Huskers trot out onto the field in red and white every game and beating the San Jose State's of the world every season and x amount of games each year or those who want Nebraska to return to being a true contender on a much more consistent basis again.

This is such a bullsh#t statement.

the point of this discussion, for me anyways, is that bo is not held accountable to the standard he set himself, which is to win championships. and he is not because everyone falls back on the 9 wins and mostly overlook the 4 losses. people are trying to re-imagine the past to cut bo some slack and change our perspective to give bo more credit. fact is, we have seen what he can put on the field with elite talent. he is the one who has created this angst because we know, we can see, that his teams and his staff are underperforming. that is the issue. 9 wins is a smokescreen hiding the reality of the situation.

9 wins is nice, but 9 wins alone proves nothing. we have all watched the past 4 seasons now and know that we should have been doing better. heck, i would be happier with 9 wins if it meant we overperformed and played some quality football, but just lost to some quality opponents. but we are not. we are losing to teams we have more talent than and getting embarrassed by any team in the top 20. frankly, 2009 was the last season that gave me hope. since then, the seasons have been disappointing and now hope is running dry. but, hey, 9 wins.

The whole crux of the 9 wins argument is you can't fire a guy who wins 9 games a year, period. The last time it happened, NU was mocked on a national scale and coaches around the country thought we were f'ing crazy. Nebraska became toxic. Unless Bo hangs himself, he's not going anywhere.

Q: One last Nebraska question — in late 2003, NU fired its coach, Frank Solich. You were coaching at Utah. Was there any part of you that perhaps thought about looking at the job?

UM: “We actually were contacted by a third party. Not directly. I remember thinking about it. I had such great respect for Solich — he's an Ohio guy who's a good friend of mine — and I didn't agree with everything that went down. He won 10 games that year, right? That was alarming to me. I'm a coach, and whenever I see that happening to a coach, I think there's got to be something behind Door No. 1 to fire him after he won 10 games. I remember having great respect for the school but being concerned about what happened — and why it happened. If 10 games isn't good enough, I'm not sure what is.”

http://www.omaha.com...ERS/704289869/0

9 wins isn't the goal, and I challenge all the "lol #9wins you're settling for mediocrity" folks to find someone who thinks it is.

First off, NOBODY living or dead will have a winning record against teams with 12 or 13 wins, since those teams would be 11 or 12 win teams if somebody beat them. I don't even think anyone plays 14 games in a season.

A good indication of where a team stands might be how it does against teams with winning records MINUS the game they played against us.

Scores mean even less.

The whole crux of the 9 wins argument is you can't fire a guy who wins 9 games a year, period. The last time it happened, NU was mocked on a national scale and coaches around the country thought we were f'ing crazy. Nebraska became toxic. Unless Bo hangs himself, he's not going anywhere.

solich won a conference champ., got us to a national champ, had three top 10 finishes, and took drastic steps to revamp his staff and remain competitive after a down year.

i would say that you are comparing apples and oranges.

• Fire 2

Maybe it's open for interpretation, but I think I just always want Nebraska....to be Nebraska.

I think we all do. Nebraska has been in the national football conversation for 50 years. When our program has been down, that's been part of the conversation, too, because everyone who watches college football has expectations for Nebraska. For the most part that's a good thing.

What's odd about this string of 9 and 10 win seasons is that it doesn't feel like a return to Nebraska football. By the end of the season we don't look like a Top 25 team. We don't beat many of our 9 win peers and occasionally get whipped by our 4 and 5 loss peers. We came painfully close against Texas in 2009, but we never score an upset. Upsets are fun. Knock off a Michigan State and you can swallow a loss to Minnesota. Happens to a lot of teams, but not to us.

And the thing about consistency is that it appears you're not building to something bigger.

I think we're building to something bigger. Ideally next season. But I can't blame anyone for not being satisfied with the past six seasons. Forget national and conference championships. Nebraska doesn't look ready to hang in the Top 20. That doesn't seem like Nebraska to me.

• Fire 3

solich won a conference champ., got us to a national champ, had three top 10 finishes, and took drastic steps to revamp his staff and remain competitive after a down year.

Your kidding right? Lets be proud of taking the back door to a game where we never belonged but call out Alabama anytime the "Who's the best dynasty" argument comes out. Not trying to be rude, but the ONLY thing that Solich ever did for us during his HC tenure that we should be proud of and praise, was win the CCG in '99. Outside of that '99, he couldn't even win the Big 12 North.

Your kidding right? Lets be proud of taking the back door to a game where we never belonged but call out Alabama anytime the "Who's the best dynasty" argument comes out. Not trying to be rude, but the ONLY think that Solich ever did for us, was win the CCG in '99. Outside of that, he never won our division.

i have never called alabama out and really am confused by that part of your post.

otherwise, no, i am not kidding. i am pretty sure i was accurate in claiming that he got us to a national championship. dismiss it all you want, but we were there and he was the one who got us there.

"I" am not comparing apples to oranges. That's the perception of our program from the outside. It's why we ended up scrambling for a coach after a 45 day search that had all the top prospects say no. It was written about, and talked about this season by national media. It's not really something that's up for debate, it's the perception of Nebraska.

"I" am not comparing apples to oranges. That's the perception of our program from the outside. It's why we ended up scrambling for a coach after a 45 day search that had all the top prospects say no. It was written about, and talked about this season by national media. It's not really something that's up for debate, it's the perception of Nebraska.

so because solich's replacement was botched, bo's would necessarily be? i am not sure anyone can say that definitively. and where was it talked about this season? that if bo was fired we would not be able to get another coach? i think given bo's on and off the field performances, the ad would seem justified if he let him go. like TO said, it is not the wins and loses, but how you lose. does not get much worse than how we lost that iowa game.

Your kidding right? Lets be proud of taking the back door to a game where we never belonged but call out Alabama anytime the "Who's the best dynasty" argument comes out. Not trying to be rude, but the ONLY think that Solich ever did for us, was win the CCG in '99. Outside of that, he never won our division.

i have never called alabama out and really am confused by that part of your post.

otherwise, no, i am not kidding. i am pretty sure i was accurate in claiming that he got us to a national championship. dismiss it all you want, but we were there and he was the one who got us there.

I do dismiss it, because he isn't the one who got us there. The media and the polls got us there. For Pete's sake, we just got mud stomped by CO, never played in the CCG, because of that mud stomping. I am not saying you personally, but majority of fans out there do bring up the fact that Alabama took the backdoor to the MNC a couple times. We did as well. The only difference, Alabama made a statement and we crapped in our diapers.

I anticipated Accountability's response in advance, which is why I added "for the results" in my post. Auburn is just an example. The results is what I'm focusing on.

But since any SEC team invokes total disgust and clearly clouds one's ability to focus on the basic point at hand, let me keep the example in house:

From 1995 through 2004 (10 seasons) Nebraska won two national championships and three conference championships. They also had rough seasons (2002 and 2004). Let's say you could replace those seasons with 10-4 and 9-3 respectively, but you have to knock '95 and '97 down to 9 or 10 win seasons, thus giving up the championships. You get rid of the lowest lows and get the consistency of the 9-win streak, but give up the greatest achievements. I think at least 95% of fans would keep things as is rather than accept my offer.

Are you really to the point that you have to make a hypotetical situation to discredit the 9 win streak Bo has?

No. I'm not discrediting anything. Nine wins for six years is good. It's an accomplishment. You are so emotionally tied up in your position that you aren't even looking at my point, which is that a roller coaster ride that includes bad seasons and championship seasons would be more satisfying (for most) than winning consistently with no championships.

The difference is you coupled in 2 Natty's from a coach that, get this....won no less than 9 games a year for 21 years before finally winning THE big one. Followed shortly after by a guy who clearly didn't belong here. It skews it.

Give Bo some time. Epic drastic changes are afoot in college football. BAYLOR!!! is top 10.

Central Florida (who?) is playing BCS games. JoePa is dead, so are a lot of normals. Except this: Bo wins 9 games.

The people inside the program are striving for better, but I'm not sure most on the outside aren't content with where we are. I still can't believe people are thinking anything has changed. We just went 8-4 with 3 blowout losses AT HOME and also lost to Minnesota.....everyone feels so great that we beat an average Georgia team (myself included) but you can't stand up and argue that there is any sign things are looking up!

Just to be clear......

You are dogging on a season when NU's most prolific QB was out for most of the season, AND played injured in the UCLA game; when freakish injuries depleted an O-line that was supposed to be a strength, when the starting lineup wasn't determined until game time. Oh, and that average Georgia team that you diminished was a nine point favorite in the game.

Got it.

• Fire 1

I anticipated Accountability's response in advance, which is why I added "for the results" in my post. Auburn is just an example. The results is what I'm focusing on.

But since any SEC team invokes total disgust and clearly clouds one's ability to focus on the basic point at hand, let me keep the example in house:

From 1995 through 2004 (10 seasons) Nebraska won two national championships and three conference championships. They also had rough seasons (2002 and 2004). Let's say you could replace those seasons with 10-4 and 9-3 respectively, but you have to knock '95 and '97 down to 9 or 10 win seasons, thus giving up the championships. You get rid of the lowest lows and get the consistency of the 9-win streak, but give up the greatest achievements. I think at least 95% of fans would keep things as is rather than accept my offer.

Are you really to the point that you have to make a hypotetical situation to discredit the 9 win streak Bo has?

No. I'm not discrediting anything. Nine wins for six years is good. It's an accomplishment. You are so emotionally tied up in your position that you aren't even looking at my point, which is that a roller coaster ride that includes bad seasons and championship seasons would be more satisfying (for most) than winning consistently with no championships.

The difference is you coupled in 2 Natty's from a coach that, get this....won no less than 9 games a year for 21 years before finally winning THE big one. Followed shortly after by a guy who clearly didn't belong here. It skews it.

Give Bo some time. Epic drastic changes are afoot in college football. BAYLOR!!! is top 10.

Central Florida (who?) is playing BCS games. JoePa is dead, so are a lot of normals. Except this: Bo wins 9 games.

Everyone gets so wrapped up in the specifics of the analogy ("Auburn steals laptops, though!!!") they miss the point: For the vast majority of fans, it's more emotionally satisfying to win championships, even if coupled with the occasional bad season, than to have 9-win consistency without championships. So, going 6-7 followed by a 13-0 national championship is preferable to 9-4 followed by 9-4 with no championships, or even BCS bowl wins. The 6-7 year fades in memory pretty quickly while the national title is a rare prize.

I'd take Auburn's results, are you kidding me? Sure, they stumbled a few times, but what they also did was get rid of their coach and they have a promising one now. And what's the difference between a disappointing second-rate 8-5 finish and a 10-4 letdown? Really not a whole lot. A 10-win season without a CCG is nice in that it shows promise for the future, but six straight 4-loss seasons smacks of a program in stasis.

• Fire 1