The Moaning of Life

knapplc

It has certainly been a strange season. 3 Starting QBs. Leading to a hot and cold passing game. When its on, its really on, but it does tend to sputter. Epic catches and epic drops.

A defense that could make a huge stop, and give up a huge run (Damn you fly sweeps, damn you!)

In short the team is a bit like the weather lately, up and down and completely unpredictable.

I think the volume on the board issue ends up with not losing games necessarily, they happen. But its the way it has been lately, win close, lose big. And I think we are desperately craving a big moment that, unfortunately, keeps eluding us.

This season was a roller coaster no doubt, the highs were legendary but the lows got gothic dark. You know what they say, misery loves company so what better way to share in a loss than to bicker at others who are mad and upset. I say cheers to 2013 and may it be the new beggining to something special in the near future.

We scored the longest TD from scrimmage in school history this year.

Yes we did, because we fumbled it back to the 1 foot line on the previous play.

One of our WRs broke the single-season touchdown receptions record this year.

Probably bound to happen due to the type of offense we've been running the past couple years, particularly given our general reliance on the pass in the red zone compared to the old days when we'd just pound it up the other team's ass.

Our RB is currently third all-time in rushing yards in school history and has a better than average chance at finishing his career at #2 all time. At Nebraska, where we dominated rushing stats for decades.

Could be due to the fact that our starters rarely played the entire 4th quarter back in the day when we dominated the weaker teams in the Big 8. Look no further than our scoring by quarter and our opponents scoring by quarter. We always scored the least in the 4th quarter and gave up the most points in the 4th quarter on average. IIRC in 97 about 50% of the points we gave up were in the 4th quarter, which is one of the reason's Michigan's argument about their Defense being way better than ours that year was complete bullsh#t.

I could keep going on these points with my negativity but I need some sleep so I can go to my job and be miserable all day again. Plus I don't want to get into the Tmart argument with everyone again. That's where this thread will wind up.

Later and goodnight.

The conversation continues in the Status Update, apparently, and Foppa makes an interesting point (abridged)

there's not a lot you can say about a win other than 'hooray!' But there's usually a billion things to critique in a loss. That's why discussion boards tend to exist, IMO.

That's pretty sad if that's all this board is for. If the only purpose of HuskerBoard is to agonize over what's not good enough, and not to celebrate being a fan of this team, that's a pretty morbid existence for this place.

At that point I'd expect more fans of other teams to come here to enjoy the schadenfreude than Husker fans actually enjoying their team. Interesting that this is what the board seems to be for, for some people.

• Fire 2

Probably bound to happen due to the type of offense we've been running the past couple years, particularly given our general reliance on the pass in the red zone compared to the old days when we'd just pound it up the other team's ass.

That was a record that wasn't broken even through the name that shall not be mentioned era. Not to mention we averaged half as many passes last year as they did through the dark ages.

Could be due to the fact that our starters rarely played the entire 4th quarter back in the day when we dominated the weaker teams in the Big 8. Look no further than our scoring by quarter and our opponents scoring by quarter. We always scored the least in the 4th quarter and gave up the most points in the 4th quarter on average. IIRC in 97 about 50% of the points we gave up were in the 4th quarter, which is one of the reason's Michigan's argument about their Defense being way better than ours that year was complete bullsh#t.

The weaker Big 8 that saw the only 1,2,3 finish in the AP poll era?

We scored the longest TD from scrimmage in school history this year.

Yes we did, because we fumbled it back to the 1 foot line on the previous play.

One of our WRs broke the single-season touchdown receptions record this year.

Our RB is currently third all-time in rushing yards in school history and has a better than average chance at finishing his career at #2 all time. At Nebraska, where we dominated rushing stats for decades.

I could keep going on these points with my negativity but I need some sleep so I can go to my job and be miserable all day again. Plus I don't want to get into the Tmart argument with everyone again. That's where this thread will wind up.

Later and goodnight.

tumblr_lqsxsvFED11r2183po1_500.gif

Whatever buddy. I really could give a crap what you think. I'm not trying to be "negative" but there are ways to explain why some of these records exist. I could pull anecdotal evidence all day long but I have no time to put together data to prove my points.

BY QUARTER 1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Total

------------ --- --- --- --- --- ---

Team........ 150 184 123 101 7 - 565

Opponents... 34 40 41 82 0 - 197

You get the point. I'm sure it'd be similar for every other year back then.

The weaker Big 8 that saw the only 1,2,3 finish in the AP poll era?

Are you going to pick that one year? You can't deny that 5 games a year in the Big 8 we completely ass-raped the competition. You remember seeing our 5th string RBs back then? I do. And I don't recall seeing that recently.