The Moaning of Life

knapplc

Buster has something here. Until this administration is will to pour the big bucks into the program and allow the HC to hire up a huge recruiting staff ala the big boys like Bama, I really dont think top coaches want anything to do with this place. Seriously, it is more work to the be the head coach at Nebraska than most places when it comes to recruiting. Youre constantly traveling and you have next to nothing to lean on as far as home grown kids. And theres no damn excuse why our staff shouldnt have full time access to mulitple private jets for things like this. I hear constantly about how they have to fly commercially and that's bullsh#t, and complete waste of time. We hammer Bo, but I dont think the administration is currently doing everything they can to support either. If we wanna play with the big boys, we're gonna have to pay like the big boys. It's that simple.

This along with NCAA regulations that put us behind the 8 ball.

Question though....is this an administration issue or a booster issue?

Buster has something here. Until this administration is will to pour the big bucks into the program and allow the HC to hire up a huge recruiting staff ala the big boys like Bama, I really dont think top coaches want anything to do with this place. Seriously, it is more work to the be the head coach at Nebraska than most places when it comes to recruiting. Youre constantly traveling and you have next to nothing to lean on as far as home grown kids. And theres no damn excuse why our staff shouldnt have full time access to mulitple private jets for things like this. I hear constantly about how they have to fly commercially and that's bullsh#t, and complete waste of time. We hammer Bo, but I dont think the administration is currently doing everything they can to support either. If we wanna play with the big boys, we're gonna have to pay like the big boys. It's that simple.

This along with NCAA regulations that put us behind the 8 ball.

Question though....is this an administration issue or a booster issue?

Bo's got pretty unwaivering full support from the most elite of boosters from what I hear.

Facilities are set, now it's time to put money towards some of the behind the scenes stuff. For god's sake, give Bo a blank check and let him do what he needs to do. We gotta get this "good old school in 1994" mindset out of here. Places like Baylor and Ok St are where they are now because they started spending the big bucks. Time to get with the program.

You claim Shawn painted himself in a corner by not firing Bo after the Iowa game. However, let's say that he put out feelers to coaches that he wanted and he received no interest in the job. What are his options?

That's what I originally thought - then I watched the coaching hires play out. I can't imagine that we wouldn't have been able to land a top candidate. Maybe one of the best years in a long time considering USC/Texas (PSU late) were the only big time programs making changes, and both made underwhelming hires. Strong would have been a much better fit at Nebraska than Texas IMO. Like anything, I'd imagine the job opening would generate interest Shawn couldn't have gauged just by putting out feelers. We'll never know obviously.

I don't follow your logic. Two of the premiere programs in the country made "underwhelming hires" which were widely reported to be well down their list of choices but Nebraska would have been able to land a great candidate? Even some big Texas boosters were very unhappy. Why would Nebraska have had better luck than they did?

It's like everything is viewed as one extreme to the other with no level-headed middle ground.

This describes almost every message board, everywhere. Even BIGREDIOWAN's favorite knitting message board has this kind of polarization.

It's the nature of discussions held in black-and-white text without the benefit of nonverbal cues, or tone and inflection.

Two examples - Hujan and I used to agree on a lot of things, but in the last month or two we've disagreed markedly on "stuff." I doubt we'd be so entrenched sitting in a couple of easy chairs watching the game.

True2thewhateverhechangedhisnametonow and I seem to have largely the same views and the same way of discussing our views at the bar, but here our tone seems (to me) very different. I doubt the message is much different, just different ways of communicating.

I've noticed it too. It's just intonation and sarcasm. Hard to know how to take people here sometimes.

I will just say this, I don't think most of us are as different as so e seem to think we are. Bo has been a very polarizing figure ever since he's been here. I think Bo could do more to change the perception, he chooses not to. That's fine, but he will remain a topic of discussion. Some more informed people, maybe a bit closer to the program, or more knowledgeable of the better side of Bo, might be quicker to defend him. You have to realize though, not everybody has the same view for the outside. We see what we see of Bo, and let's face it, they aren't showing his warm fuzzy side all over sports media.

Bo seems to be a dividing factor. That and expectations. Everyone is entitled to their own expectations and really, we have some good discussions here about expectations. There are really good reasons expectations have been lowered, and good reasons expectations should be higher. There just seems to be that small number of people that don't want to hear the other side. It's a pretty small number of people though, and it just doesn't make sense to let the minority rule every conversation.

I don't follow your logic. Two of the premiere programs in the country made "underwhelming hires" which were widely reported to be well down their list of choices but Nebraska would have been able to land a great candidate? Even some big Texas boosters were very unhappy. Why would Nebraska have had better luck than they did?

Meant that both programs went after guys that for the most part never would have been on Nebraska's list. We wouldn't have been competing w/ either program, save maybe Strong but that was late in the game. We might have already hired him before Texas went through their usual suspects and settled. And I know Peterson is a northwestern guy - but I don't see the massive advantage Washington (including recruiting) would have over a program like Nebraska. Nebraska would have been in play for him, not saying he would have ended up here - but certainly we would have been in the running. Franklin as well. All guys brushed off as out of reach early, all ended up appearing very "hireable" for Nebraska in the end.

^you forgot injuries happen everywhere debate

^ask ESPN how injuries happen...to Georgia. I'm surprised they didn't find a way to use the golf 'handicap' for them in the Gator Bowl, especially since they lost. But that's going off the subject, carry on.

ESPN talked extensively about Nebraska's injuries, detailed Taylor Martinez's career stats and how they were missed this season, and told how our offensive line was often so decimated that the coaches didn't announce the starters until after pre-game warm-ups. The entire ESPN Gator Bowl narrative was how Georgia and Nebraska came in with near identical situations.

Actually this isn't off subject either, since ESPN/SEC paranoia creates more than its share of moaning around here.

^ask ESPN how injuries happen...to Georgia. I'm surprised they didn't find a way to use the golf 'handicap' for them in the Gator Bowl, especially since they lost. But that's going off the subject, carry on.

ESPN talked extensively about Nebraska's injuries, detailed Taylor Martinez's career stats and how they were missed this season, and told how our offensive line was often so decimated that the coaches didn't announce the starters until after pre-game warm-ups. The entire ESPN Gator Bowl narrative was how Georgia and Nebraska came in with near identical situations.

Actually this isn't off subject either, since ESPN/SEC paranoia creates more than its share of moaning around here.

Yes, ESPN made a mention of our situation. But with Georgia's they used it as an excuse on their behalf-TIME AND TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

I know. I just watched it again last night.

And evidently, when Nebraska had the ball or had to make a tackle, the field magically dried up and the rain went away.

Yes, ESPN made a mention of our situation. But with Georgia's they used it as an excuse on their behalf-TIME AND TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

I know. I just watched it again last night.

And evidently, when Nebraska had the ball or had to make a tackle, the field magically dried up and the rain went away.

I just watched it the other day too, and they actually covered both teams situations pretty evenly. And HEAPED praise on Abdullah. The only complaint is that anytime Gurely didn't make a play it was because of his ankle which he didn't even have taped.

I love when Abdullah score from the one how Ed said I definitely wouldn't go up the middle, and what do we do but score easily up the middle. It shut him up for a good minute or so.

lol

I'll maintain that the pocketbook has been open in the past (or at least relatively speaking), but Bo just had different guys in mind. I don't think the hires we've made have been about being cheap, just the guys that fit both a) Bo wants to work with and b) got sold on the opportunity. There were some misses such as Mike Stoops, who went to work for his brother, but I'm sure he would have been compensated quite competitively had he come here.

I do not believe at all that Head Coach Bo Pelini is being hamstrung by his administration's money requirements in being able to go after the kinds of assistant coaches he wishes he could.

• Fire 1

I'll maintain that the pocketbook has been open in the past (or at least relatively speaking), but Bo just had different guys in mind. I don't think the hires we've made have been about being cheap, just the guys that fit both a) Bo wants to work with and b) got sold on the opportunity. There were some misses such as Mike Stoops, who went to work for his brother, but I'm sure he would have been compensated quite competitively had he come here.

I do not believe at all that Head Coach Bo Pelini is being hamstrung by his administration's money requirements in being able to go after the kinds of assistant coaches he wishes he could.

I'd have to look back to see but I seem to recall one of the first things Eichorst did was give out quite a few raises. Anyone else remember this or did I dream it up?