The Lowdown on Taylor Martinez's Foot

But how many times did he take off and run in comparison to the opportunities? How about the competition? It was noted his pain was highest when he tried to push off and accelerate, and that it didnt affect his throwing mechanics. This was after the Minnesota game when all the hubbub was about. I just remember thinking he was completely lacking the explosiveness as well as the swagger in running that he's had, and was assuming right away that he had an issue.

I guess I was used to it, thinking he has lacked that explosiveness since 2010.

well, THAT explosiveness, yes. But at no point this year in the few games he played in did he look as well off as he did throughout the whole of 2012. In my opinion. Just my opinion of course. He was so timid in the run game that an injury was the first thing that came to mind.

But how many times did he take off and run in comparison to the opportunities? How about the competition? It was noted his pain was highest when he tried to push off and accelerate, and that it didnt affect his throwing mechanics. This was after the Minnesota game when all the hubbub was about. I just remember thinking he was completely lacking the explosiveness as well as the swagger in running that he's had, and was assuming right away that he had an issue.

I guess I was used to it, thinking he has lacked that explosiveness since 2010.

well, THAT explosiveness, yes. But at no point this year in the few games he played in did he look as well off as he did throughout the whole of 2012. In my opinion. Just my opinion of course. He was so timid in the run game that an injury was the first thing that came to mind.

The only time I ever thought something was really off was the Minny game on his long run when he got caught from behind and was looking to get out of bounds as quickly as he could.

Maybe we need to quit blaming S&C and start blaming the med staff. No way Martinez should have ever seen the field after the Wyoming game IMO. A good med staff (again IMO) would have made sure of that.

I absolutely agree with that! He wasn't himself after that, and it was apparent. Then we face a Southern Miss team where Martinez didn't have to do much... then the UCLA game. 10 carries -13 yards and 12 yards being his longest. He did what any QB would have done, try and put the ball in your best players hands and let them win you the game.

Its just unfortunate how his Senior year went, no matter how you spin it. Med RS, would he have taken it anyway? He is a Husker in and out, but I think he knew what was being done to his body and I personally don't think he would have taken it.

Neither of you guys know anything about what the injury entails. Good write up with a couple of quotes from some actual medical doctors who know what they're talking about here: http://www.cornnatio...etails-released

Neither of us know anything about what the injury details, but you do? Lets see... doesn't say how sever it is here, but this is what I found on a PROFESSIONAL website, and not some column on cornnation...

Now this is for an "acute" condition.... what was Taylor's since you know everything bud? Even so, if it was an acute condition, he played THAT FOLLOWING week. Was it 3-4 weeks? NO it wasn't. Here is another one for you Mr. Know-it-all....

How Do I Fix My Sprained/Torn Plantar Plate Ligament?

Depending on the severity of the tear depends on the course of treatment that will be effective. Grade 1 and Grade 2 Plantar Plate Sprains are treated with excellent outcomes at the San Diego Running Institute. Grade 3 Plantar Plate Sprains are more severe and will not typically respond to conservative treatment and may require surgery. While I never desire to tell a runner to “Stop running”, that is exactly what I have to do in most cases of a Plantar Plate Sprain. In mild cases we successfully treat the condition by placing Plantar Plate supports on the runner’s insoles of the shoes they wear most often. We also use waterproof athletic tape to align the joint to ensure maximum and effective healing. Therapeutic Ultrasound is applied to stimulate blood flow into the largely avasucular Plantar Plate Ligament. Simple exercises are prescribed to stimulate blood flow and promote strengthening of the deep intrinsic muscles of the foot. Severe Grade 1 sprains and Grade 2 Plantar Plate Sprains usually require me to prescribe a stiff bottom walking boot for the runner to wear for six to twelve weeks depending on the severity of the sprain. This ensures that the patient is not flexing, bending or stretching the damaged Plantar Plate and allows for maximum and complete healing. During the time period the patient is required to wear the boot a therapeutic protocol consisting of Ultrasound, taping and exercises is also undertaken.

I think we are not the ones misinformed here. Every source (and I have some linked in the headline of each quote) states 3+ weeks, and Grade 2, which seams HIGHLY likely of Martinez's situation would be 6-12 weeks.

Now please...

tumblr_m2uiqlALsp1qhiq82.gif

For clarification can we agree on the following:

We do not know the extent of his injury save it occurred against Wyoming.

Conservative estimates for a grade 1 put it at a 3-4 week recovery.

He played the next 3 games.

People still think he should have played and that it wasn't an issue?

IMO, again, it was a mistake to ever play him AT LEAST until conference play (if Grade 3 at all). The language used to describe the injury as a tear indicates a level 2-3. 3 being a complete tear.

For clarification can we agree on the following:

We do not know the extent of his injury save it occurred against Wyoming.

Conservative estimates for a grade 1 put it at a 3-4 week recovery.

He played the next 3 games.

People still think he should have played and that it wasn't an issue?

IMO, again, it was a mistake to ever play him AT LEAST until conference play (if Grade 3 at all). The language used to describe the injury as a tear indicates a level 2-3. 3 being a complete tear.

I would almost rule out a Grade 3, since they state it would take surgery to fix that. I don't think he had surgery at all. Grade 2 is what I think he had the whole time. Either way, its just a shame he never had a Senior year.

Since we're all playing arm chair doctor here. Is there a possibility it was a low grade injury after Wyoming and he aggravated it somewhere down the line, and then f'd it up against Minnesota?

Low grade still takes 3-4 weeks to heal. This is what myself and lo country are pointing out. Taylor played 7 days after the Wyoming game, making it worse in the Southern Miss game which that is when it possibly went to a Grade 2. That or the UCLA game, where it was only 2 weeks after, while giving the foot no time to rest, as he was practicing all week for those games.

Since we're all playing arm chair doctor here. Is there a possibility it was a low grade injury after Wyoming and he aggravated it somewhere down the line, and then f'd it up against Minnesota?

That theory makes sense.

So no.

What was I thinking...

Low grade still takes 3-4 weeks to heal. This is what myself and lo country are pointing out. Taylor played 7 days after the Wyoming game, making it worse in the Southern Miss game which that is when it possibly went to a Grade 2. That or the UCLA game, where it was only 2 weeks after, while giving the foot no time to rest, as he was practicing all week for those games.

This^ Regardless of the grade, he should have been kept out 3-4 weeks. If it was a 1-2, had he been held out until conference play, he would have/could have possibly been well. Unfortunately, for some reason, IMO, he came back WAY to early.

HAHA he wants to be a QB. Just try to be a WR or S. No NFL team in their right mind will give this guy a shot at QB.

Perfect illustration of what knapp talks about.

Notice how he said he wants to be a QB, but is open to other possibilities. But I'm guessing you just stopped after the first part.

Nice dick comment tho

Knapp is right; this place is run by the naysayers.