The Lowdown on Taylor Martinez's Foot

I get the kid is an introvert. He's also an adult. If his dad is still talking for him at age 23, he's screwed up and so has the coaching staff.

But, again, I love Taylor too, I don't want to this to delve into something negative about him, I'm still dealing with what I envisioned in 2013 when I first saw him in 2010, and the reality.

If his dad is speaking for him on things that he doesn't really need to speak on, I don't really care and don't think there's any screwing up that's going on there. I think it's different if it was a different scenario, but disclosing injury/health news to people that don't really have a business or a right to know?

Sure, if he doesn't want to talk about that but is fine with someone else talking for him, go for it.

We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength.

See you at the spring game in April when the clock strikes 13.

Boy you sure are strong...and you have a major chubby for everything I post.

Nah, just sensing a theme in most of them.

And I could be stronger. The 'shups are helping.

I get the kid is an introvert. He's also an adult. If his dad is still talking for him at age 23, he's screwed up and so has the coaching staff.

But, again, I love Taylor too, I don't want to this to delve into something negative about him, I'm still dealing with what I envisioned in 2013 when I first saw him in 2010, and the reality.

If his dad is speaking for him on things that he doesn't really need to speak on, I don't really care and don't think there's any screwing up that's going on there. I think it's different if it was a different scenario, but disclosing injury/health news to people that don't really have a business or a right to know?

Sure, if he doesn't want to talk about that but is fine with someone else talking for him, go for it.

He doesn't really need to speak on this. If we're going down the "Taylor wants to be an nfl player" road, I'm thinking most teams would be wary of a college graduate who was having his dad do this for him. It looks better if Taylor does it himself, or his agent.

Either way.

Maybe we need to quit blaming S&C and start blaming the med staff. No way Martinez should have ever seen the field after the Wyoming game IMO. A good med staff (again IMO) would have made sure of that.

I absolutely agree with that! He wasn't himself after that, and it was apparent. Then we face a Southern Miss team where Martinez didn't have to do much... then the UCLA game. 10 carries -13 yards and 12 yards being his longest. He did what any QB would have done, try and put the ball in your best players hands and let them win you the game.

Its just unfortunate how his Senior year went, no matter how you spin it. Med RS, would he have taken it anyway? He is a Husker in and out, but I think he knew what was being done to his body and I personally don't think he would have taken it.

Neither of you guys know anything about what the injury entails. Good write up with a couple of quotes from some actual medical doctors who know what they're talking about here: http://www.cornnatio...etails-released

Summary: The injury varies on EACH INDIVIDUAL. Some take longer than others and some feel like they are healed when they're not.

In other words...the staff handled everything exactly as they should have and knows more than anyone has ever speculated about.

We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength.

See you at the spring game in April when the clock strikes 13.

Hmmm..... So one Dr says it takes forever to heal and the other says 3-4 weeks. Martinez played the next week.

From another site:

Depending on the severity of the tear depends on the course of treatment that will be effective. Grade 1 and Grade 2 Plantar Plate Sprains are treated with excellent outcomes at the San Diego Running Institute. Grade 3 Plantar Plate Sprains are more severe and will not typically respond to conservative treatment and may require surgery. While I never desire to tell a runner to “Stop running”, that is exactly what I have to do in most cases of a Plantar Plate Sprain. In mild cases we successfully treat the condition by placing Plantar Plate supports on the runner’s insoles of the shoes they wear most often. We also use waterproof athletic tape to align the joint to ensure maximum and effective healing. Therapeutic Ultrasound is applied to stimulate blood flow into the largely avasucular Plantar Plate Ligament. Simple exercises are prescribed to stimulate blood flow and promote strengthening of the deep intrinsic muscles of the foot. Severe Grade 1 sprains and Grade 2 Plantar Plate Sprains usually require me to prescribe a stiff bottom walking boot for the runner to wear for six to twelve weeks depending on the severity of the sprain. This ensures that the patient is not flexing, bending or stretching the damaged Plantar Plate and allows for maximum and complete healing. During the time period the patient is required to wear the boot a therapeutic protocol consisting of Ultrasound, taping and exercises is also undertaken.

Again, IMO, no way he should have seen the field again until conference play at a minimum (or as we saw, never again after Wy). Poor decision.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think it was dumb to play Martinez after his injury. I assume that he understated the extent of his injury because he's a tough kid, didn't want to miss time during his senior year and thought he could contribute. I also assume that the coaching staff didn't fully realize the extent of the injury, at least in part because Martinez was downplaying it and insisting he could play through it. But that's history at this point.

I think it's very unlikely that Martinez will make it in the NFL as a quarterback and think his best chances lie as a slot receiver, a cornerback or a return man. But I'll root for him to succeed regardless. He's a tough kid who played hard, gave it his all and did everything in his power during his time here to make the team better. And that's deserving of our respect.

I think too much focus is being put on Taylor's injury being something that could prevent him from going to the league. The fumble-itis, as some have briefly mentioned, is a MUCH bigger red flag to NFL GMs than any of his other ailments.

Your body can heal itself pretty well, especially with good rehab, but it's hard to "get good" at protecting the ball.

I think too much focus is being put on Taylor's injury being something that could prevent him from going to the league. The fumble-itis, as some have briefly mentioned, is a MUCH bigger red flag to NFL GMs than any of his other ailments.

Your body can heal itself pretty well, especially with good rehab, but it's hard to "get good" at protecting the ball.

We have a winner!