The Lowdown on Taylor Martinez's Foot

Maybe we need to quit blaming S&C and start blaming the med staff. No way Martinez should have ever seen the field after the Wyoming game IMO. A good med staff (again IMO) would have made sure of that.

I absolutely agree with that! He wasn't himself after that, and it was apparent. Then we face a Southern Miss team where Martinez didn't have to do much... then the UCLA game. 10 carries -13 yards and 12 yards being his longest. He did what any QB would have done, try and put the ball in your best players hands and let them win you the game.

Its just unfortunate how his Senior year went, no matter how you spin it. Med RS, would he have taken it anyway? He is a Husker in and out, but I think he knew what was being done to his body and I personally don't think he would have taken it.

Neither of you guys know anything about what the injury entails. Good write up with a couple of quotes from some actual medical doctors who know what they're talking about here: http://www.cornnatio...etails-released

Summary: The injury varies on EACH INDIVIDUAL. Some take longer than others and some feel like they are healed when they're not.

In other words...the staff handled everything exactly as they should have and knows more than anyone has ever speculated about.

We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength.

See you at the spring game in April when the clock strikes 13.

Hmmm..... So one Dr says it takes forever to heal and the other says 3-4 weeks. Martinez played the next week.

From another site:

Depending on the severity of the tear depends on the course of treatment that will be effective. Grade 1 and Grade 2 Plantar Plate Sprains are treated with excellent outcomes at the San Diego Running Institute. Grade 3 Plantar Plate Sprains are more severe and will not typically respond to conservative treatment and may require surgery. While I never desire to tell a runner to “Stop running”, that is exactly what I have to do in most cases of a Plantar Plate Sprain. In mild cases we successfully treat the condition by placing Plantar Plate supports on the runner’s insoles of the shoes they wear most often. We also use waterproof athletic tape to align the joint to ensure maximum and effective healing. Therapeutic Ultrasound is applied to stimulate blood flow into the largely avasucular Plantar Plate Ligament. Simple exercises are prescribed to stimulate blood flow and promote strengthening of the deep intrinsic muscles of the foot. Severe Grade 1 sprains and Grade 2 Plantar Plate Sprains usually require me to prescribe a stiff bottom walking boot for the runner to wear for six to twelve weeks depending on the severity of the sprain. This ensures that the patient is not flexing, bending or stretching the damaged Plantar Plate and allows for maximum and complete healing. During the time period the patient is required to wear the boot a therapeutic protocol consisting of Ultrasound, taping and exercises is also undertaken.

Again, IMO, no way he should have seen the field again until conference play at a minimum (or as we saw, never again after Wy). Poor decision.

^The above says it all......

If it was confirmed a grade 3.......

He shouldn't have been playing at all.....

Should've been on light duty with a grade 1 and grade 2. A grade 2, he would have to stay off of it for a at least a couple of weeks and then move onto the stiff-walking boot. Being in the physical therapy world, wearing a boot for 6-12 weeks is a ton of time......however, during the course of wearing the boot, rehab should and would be taking place....progressing as pain permits.

Translation - it's an unfounded rumor from the internet.

I heard the "fracture" rumor around the UCLA game week......

I wasn't happy to see him playing (for his own health) when he started against Minnesota. He just didn't look right.....not the same ole Taylor at all.

Honestly (no disrespect to you),,anyone who paid attention could tell that he wasn't the same prior to the UCLA game, fwiw.

Me and Dad happened to think it was pretty noticeable that something was bothering him after the 1st quarter of the 1st game. And when we were headed back to the bus, Dad listenin to his radio said that Bo was asked in his presser about Taylor in a boot after the game. And we looked at each other "see, we knew there wasnt something right with him from the get go" type of thing. I dont know how it happened, and dont really care. I've heard 3 different theories/rumors as well that follow similar ideas, but with different details, meaning no one has a clue really.

I can see them playing him against Minnesota if he said he was fine. What I can't understand is why he continued to play when he was obviously still hurt. They might not have known the extent going into the game, but it didn't take long for it to become obvious to them. Every series I thought there'd be a change at QB...every series he hobbled out there. That's on Bo.

I can see them playing him against Minnesota if he said he was fine. What I can't understand is why he continued to play when he was obviously still hurt. They might not have known the extent going into the game, but it didn't take long for it to become obvious to them. Every series I thought there'd be a change at QB...every series he hobbled out there. That's on Bo.

Me and Dad happened to think it was pretty noticeable that something was bothering him after the 1st quarter of the 1st game. And when we were headed back to the bus, Dad listenin to his radio said that Bo was asked in his presser about Taylor in a boot after the game. And we looked at each other "see, we knew there wasnt something right with him from the get go" type of thing. I dont know how it happened, and dont really care. I've heard 3 different theories/rumors as well that follow similar ideas, but with different details, meaning no one has a clue really.

I guess I don't have as good of powers of observation as you guys.

I saw the hurt shoulder against Wyoming - I didn't see anything abnormal with his feet. I still saw him making really athletic plays (the play against So. Miss when he ran around in the backfield a lot similar to the Wisky CCG run except for only about 15-20 yards). Against Wyoming I saw him rusty, but still saw him throwing the ball well with good footwork and he also had that long 50+ yard run in the 4th quarter.

Maybe it was clear he wasn't 100%, but I don't think there was anything obvious about him being injured to the extent that he couldn't or shouldn't be playing.

I think either you guys are either having some revisionist history or else over-exaggerating the things you remember seeing.

Can somebody set me straight on this injury?

I was under the impression that it was pretty much an accepted fact that this injury occurred, after, or during halftime of the UW game, and was caused by TM kicking a locker (apparently in disgust over the performance). And further, that he tried to conceal it from team officials (coaches, trainers, etc.) probably because of the way it happened. Is this not necessarily the way it went down? Or is this just a theory of wild conjecture and internet rumor mill?

Seriously, I'm curious. I don't want to continue under false pretenses.

Can somebody set me straight on this injury?

I was under the impression that it was pretty much an accepted fact that this injury occurred, after the UW game, and was caused by TM kicking a locker (apparently in disgust over the performance). And further, that he tried to conceal it from team officials (coaches, trainers, etc.) probably because of the way it happened. Is this not necessarily the way it went down? Or is this just a theory of wild conjecture and internet rumor mill?

Seriously, I'm curious. I don't want to continue under false pretenses.

I think it's been corroborated by enough reliable people that whatever IT is, it did in fact come from kicking a locker. I've heard from enough people that I know have independent legitimate connections (albeit not first-hand) that this is how it went down.

What's muddy is who knew about it, when they knew about it, and how serious it actually was or how serious people thought it was.

I think either you guys are either having some revisionist history or else over-exaggerating the things you remember seeing.

I'm just talking specifically Minnesota. I certainly didn't notice it against Wyoming. I expect a healthy Taylor to run the ball around 15 times a game...about 7-10 of those by design. He clearly did not have that ability versus Minnesota, and if you go back through the Southern Miss and UCLA games I guess it's pretty obvious that he wasn't mobile. Only one explanation for that, and it isn't Beck's scheme/tickery. You don't scheme your biggest weapon out of the game for no reason. When it was obvious he couldn't carry the rock against Minnestoa, he should have been replaced IMO.

I guess I don't have as good of powers of observation as you guys.

I saw the hurt shoulder against Wyoming - I didn't see anything abnormal with his feet. I still saw him making really athletic plays (the play against So. Miss when he ran around in the backfield a lot similar to the Wisky CCG run except for only about 15-20 yards). Against Wyoming I saw him rusty, but still saw him throwing the ball well with good footwork and he also had that long 50+ yard run in the 4th quarter.

Maybe it was clear he wasn't 100%, but I don't think there was anything obvious about him being injured to the extent that he couldn't or shouldn't be playing.

But how many times did he take off and run in comparison to the opportunities? How about the competition? It was noted his pain was highest when he tried to push off and accelerate, and that it didnt affect his throwing mechanics. This was after the Minnesota game when all the hubbub was about. I just remember thinking he was completely lacking the explosiveness as well as the swagger in running that he's had, and was assuming right away that he had an issue.

But how many times did he take off and run in comparison to the opportunities? How about the competition? It was noted his pain was highest when he tried to push off and accelerate, and that it didnt affect his throwing mechanics. This was after the Minnesota game when all the hubbub was about. I just remember thinking he was completely lacking the explosiveness as well as the swagger in running that he's had, and was assuming right away that he had an issue.

I guess I was used to it, thinking he has lacked that explosiveness since 2010.