I hereby petition for the return of -1s

NUance

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As it is currently, the post reps are more of a 'Like' system than a true reputation system. It provides a way for members to give each other some virtual thumbs-ups without being a more formal gauge of the post's value. But there are two ways you can give negative feedback (apart from disagreeing in response):

-Rate the topic 1-star.

-Rate the user 1-star.

The first one is a pretty good way for members to collectively distinguish bad, headed-for-the-tracks threads.

There are times I've thought would be pretty apt for a -1, but the list of reasons against it has been outlined above. Perhaps if we had more control over how exactly the feature works, but as I recall, the options available to us through the software are very limited.

Who was the member who was a ginger from Montana who had like a -100 rep?

I think if it isnt abused to be funny, it can be a good tool to show people that they are stupid and shouldnt post anymore.... or something like that.

Yeah! People who don't agree with me are stupid!!!!

It's honestly frightening the amount of people who don't want discourse, different opinions or debate on this board.

I can't speak for others, but as for me I'd be more likely to give a -1 to a post I consider worthless to HB, rather than responding to that post and furthering the conversation. I wouldn't give a -1 to a post simply because I disagreed with it. I suspect most people, if they simply disagreed with something, would post a response explaining their position. Rather than giving it a -1.

Who was the member who was a ginger from Montana who had like a -100 rep?

I think if it isnt abused to be funny, it can be a good tool to show people that they are stupid and shouldnt post anymore.... or something like that.

Yeah! People who don't agree with me are stupid!!!!

It's honestly frightening the amount of people who don't want discourse, different opinions or debate on this board.

I can't speak for others, but as for me I'd be more likely to give a -1 to a post I consider worthless to HB, rather than responding to that post and furthering the conversation. I wouldn't give a -1 to a post simply because I disagreed with it. I suspect most people, if they simply disagreed with something, would post a response explaining their position. Rather than giving it a -1.

Yes. Less discussion.

So to recap, there are already many options available to members when they encounter a post they don't like:

1. Ignore the post and move on

2. Go to the "My settings" section of their profile and ignore the user

3. Report the post to moderators

4. PM the user

5. Take it up in the Woodshed

6. Reply to the user

7. Rate the user poorly on their page

8. Rate the thread poorly

Do we really need to add a ninth option when it has so many drawbacks?

So to recap, there are already several options available to posters when they encounter a post they don't like:

1. Ignore the poster and move on

4. PM the user

6. Reply to the user

Or you could just deal with having a negative rep, or would that hurt your feelings?

Who cares if you have a +100000 or a -10000?

With a name like bucky, most people just assume you are an idiot before you make a point anyways....

I kid... but i think people get too worried if they have a negative rep #... who takes that crap seriously anyways?

• Fire 1

So to recap, there are already several options available to posters when they encounter a post they don't like:

4. PM the user

6. Reply to the user

Or you could just deal with having a negative rep, or would that hurt your feelings?

With a name like bucky, most people just assume you are an idiot before you make a point anyways....

I kid... but i think people get too worried if they have a negative rep #... who takes that crap seriously anyways?

Ad friggin-hominem.

What do I have to do with it?

But yea, obviously if -1's were still a thing I'd be deep in the red but I care about rep because internet points translate directly into money and as a Husker Board Featured Poster™ I get a nickel for every +1 I receive.

Nah but really I don't care about my rep here. It's already trash. I just think -1'ing is a bad idea.

4. PM the user

6. Reply to the user

Ad friggin-hominem.

But yea, obviously if -1's were still a thing I'd be deep in the red but I care about rep because internet points translate directly into money and as a Husker Board Featured Poster™ I get a nickel for every +1 I receive.

Nah but really I don't care about my rep here. It's already trash. I just think -1'ing is a bad idea.

But that is my question.. if you dont care about rep... than why do you care about -1'ing.

The people who care are those who somehow get a chubby over getting one of those nifty +1's.

Like if i came after you, you could -1 me and then lets say not everyone wants to quote me to bash me, instead they throw a - and i see ten -1's and realize that maybe you werent the only one who thought my post sucked, but maybe were the only one who had the balls to quote me to discuss.

4. PM the user

6. Reply to the user

Ad friggin-hominem.

But that is my question.. if you dont care about rep... than why do you care about -1'ing.

The people who care are those who somehow get a chubby over getting one of those nifty +1's.

Like if i came after you, you could -1 me and then lets say not everyone wants to quote me to bash me, instead they throw a - and i see ten -1's and realize that maybe you werent the only one who thought my post sucked, but maybe were the only one who had the balls to quote me to discuss.

Because of the reasons I listed in post #7. I'm opposed to it because of what it will do to the level of discussion on the board, not to my rep.

As I said earlier, I'm completely cool with getting rid of rep all together.

Because of the reasons I listed in post #7. I'm opposed to it because of what it will do to the level of discussion on the board, not to my rep.

As I said earlier, I'm completely cool with getting rid of rep all together.

Giving a neg rep to a post would not prevent discussion. It's not like negs and post quotes are mutually exclusive. It would simply provide another avenue of feedback. Feedback with the option to quote the post. Or not. The way it is now, there is no way to provide feedback on a really stupid post without furthering the conversation. This leads to thread derailments and bickering. Is that the type of message board we want?

Giving a neg rep to a post would not prevent discussion.

No but it would probably lessen discussion. Why articulate my opposing view point when I can just ping you with a -1?

It's not like negs and post quotes are mutually exclusive.

I would venture to argue that they are in that how many replies do we see to a post with tons of +1 saying "yea I agree"? Rarely do they match the number of +1's. The reputation system is a way for lazy people to "contribute" to the discussion and it's a low effort contribution that does absolutely nothing to advance the conversation.

It would simply provide another avenue of feedback.

We already have, by my count, eight ways to provide feedback. It should take a very compelling argument to add a ninth.

The way it is now, there is no way to provide feedback on a really stupid post without furthering the conversation.

There are plenty of ways:

4. PM the user

6. Reply to the user

This leads to thread derailments and bickering. Is that the type of message board we want?

That's the message board we already have for a number of reasons unrelated to rep. Pull up any thread on more than its second page and there's a 50% chance it will have completely devolved into gifs.

Giving a neg rep to a post would not prevent discussion.

No but it would probably lessen discussion. Why articulate my opposing view point when I can just ping you with a -1?

It's not like negs and post quotes are mutually exclusive.

I would venture to argue that they are in that how many replies do we see to a post with tons of +1 saying "yea I agree"? Rarely do they match the number of +1's. The reputation system is a way for lazy people to "contribute" to the discussion and it's a low effort contribution that does absolutely nothing to advance the conversation.

It would simply provide another avenue of feedback.

We already have, by my count, eight ways to provide feedback. It should take a very compelling argument to add a ninth.

This leads to thread derailments and bickering. Is that the type of message board we want?

That's the message board we already have for a number of reasons unrelated to rep. Pull up any thread on more than its second page and there's a 50% chance it will have completely devolved into gifs.

I guess we'll just have to stick with gifs for feedback then.

20h4qw8.jpg

• Fire 1