Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

GSG

And just so there's no confusion, there have been gay athletes at Nebraska for... ever. There are gay guys on the football team right now, just like there was last year, the year before that, blah blah blah. There are gay guys in the NBA, NFL, MLB, you name it. Gay dudes are everywhere........ but who cares?

It shows how immature this country is that we still care whether someone is gay or straight. It's like being 50 years old and still giggling if someone says "fart." People have sex. People have all different kinds of sex, different preferences, fetishes, curiosities, etc. We're a pretty diverse species when it comes to sex. Wanting to "do it" with someone of your own gender is just one of the literally thousands of ways people like to have sex. Why that one preference should be a big deal is just baffling.

I said this nearly three years ago, but it's apropos to this conversation.

And just so there's no confusion, there have been gay athletes at Nebraska for... ever. There are gay guys on the football team right now, just like there was last year, the year before that, blah blah blah. There are gay guys in the NBA, NFL, MLB, you name it. Gay dudes are everywhere........ but who cares?

It shows how immature this country is that we still care whether someone is gay or straight. It's like being 50 years old and still giggling if someone says "fart." People have sex. People have all different kinds of sex, different preferences, fetishes, curiosities, etc. We're a pretty diverse species when it comes to sex. Wanting to "do it" with someone of your own gender is just one of the literally thousands of ways people like to have sex. Why that one preference should be a big deal is just baffling.

I said this nearly three years ago, but it's apropos to this conversation.

Old man knapp referencing sex 40 times in one post......welp, my penis is purely just for show now.

So you think that Matthew 5:5,6 means that Christ doesn't want a Christian point of view expressed in the public square?

I know that Matthew 5: 5-6 means that the kind of self-aggrandizing promotion that Coach Brown did was wrong, and earned him the reward he sought.

How do I know that? Because Coach Brown didn't just go up there as Ron Brown, Christian, humble man. He stood at that podium and declared to the world that he represented something he does not. When he identified himself, he gave the address of Memorial Stadium. That was a lie, and unless you think Jesus condoned lies you know that Coach Brown was wrong.

It's a very important thing to the Matthew 5 passage, that Coach Brown gave Memorial Stadium as his address. By doing so he attempted to elevate his testimony at that council meeting beyond himself. He didn't give his address as Heaven, or "God's house" or any other such thing. He wrapped himself in the cloak of Nebraska Football and declared that an ordinance providing protection from discrimination was a sin.

Ron Brown is welcome to think it's a sin all he wants. But he is not welcome, nor does he have the authority, to declare so from the pulpit of Husker Football. Not only does the University condemn it, Jesus himself condemns it.

Ron Brown was nowhere near "exactly correct" in that situation. He was utterly and completely wrong.

He would do himself very well to spend his time meditating on Matthew 7: 5, and doing it over and over and over until he truly grasps what that verse means.

• Fire 4

I remember this guy! Good guy from what I remember. He lived on the same floor as me my freshman year. I don't remember it being a big deal at all. So much so that I completely forgot that we had an openly gay player here at nebraska. Didn't think anything of it then. Then when Michael Sam came out, I thought it was a huge deal. Here I'd already lived through the acceptance of a homosexual player at a big(ger) school (bigger because it's mizzou...).

Also, I thought it was a shame that he got injured before one of the season to lose the starting kicking job to Congdon. How cool it would've been to have this story occur 10 years beforehand. But then I learned that this kid (kid? He's a year older than I) is a freaking genius. Chemical engineer and doing research in the medical field. He could save lives. Probably better than kicking field goals...

None the less. GBR!! Glad he had a (mostly) positive experience.

Also, despite the animosity towards Callahan we usually have, good job of him for being extremely respectful to this kid. Even breaking into tears when hearing about his career ending injury.

Once again, you think that Matthew 7:5 means that Christians should never speak out against sin.

And since you are so enlightened about discriminating against people based their sexual choices, I assume you also want a law protecting polygamists and interfamily sexual relations as long as mo minors are involved.

I assume you also want a law protecting polygamists and interfamily sexual relations as long as mo minors are involved.

I assume you also want people who swear or women who wear mens clothing (i.e. pants) or people who take the Lord's name in vain to be able to be fired just for those reasons. People sin all the time, but when those sins are legal, usually they can't be fired for them unless it directly effects their work. Why should being gay be an exception?

Being legally married to multiple people is illegal in Nebraska, so that's an invalid argument.

• Fire 3

Once again, you think that Matthew 7:5 means that Christians should never speak out against sin.

And since you are so enlightened about discriminating against people based their sexual choices, I assume you also want a law protecting polygamists and interfamily sexual relations as long as mo minors are involved.

1. You completely missed what he actually thinks. The point made was 100% lost on you.

2. Polygamists and people engaging in incest aren't institutionally oppressed in our country - they're just considered perverted.

You are incorrect. A person not under an employment contract or collective bargaining agreement can be fired for any reason, or no reason at all, unless they are part of a protected class, and that was what the ordinance was about, making sexual orientation a protected class.

If you take a look at every protected class that exists right now, you will note that all of them have and/or continue to be oppressed or discriminated against in our country. They were added to protected class status in response to already existent persecution.

True or false - homosexuals have equal rights, standing and perception in our country?