Stuck in the middle

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/68383728/nebraska-cornhuskers-football-may-need-to-part-with-bo-pelini-to-move-into-the-future

"The question becomes, what's best for Nebraska? It's unreasonable to expect yearly 12-win seasons, so what would be more acceptable: four straight 9-4 seasons, or maybe two .500 seasons and two major bowls? It's that boring, flat-lined middle ground that causes trouble, because the same thing year after year gets tiring when it's a step down from national prominence -- the same sort of problem that middling NBA teams face when they're not contenders but also not bad enough to pick near the top of the draft. They have little hope for a championship, but there's also no hope for an injection of newfound life.

While expectations are probably too high, becoming restless is not unreasonable. To this point, the Pelini era has both been a model of stability, but also rudderless. There's little sense that the program will elevate to a higher level. So in 2014, an ultimatum is justified: Major-bowl-or-bust in the weakened Big Ten is an acceptable goal, and in the likely event that it's not achieved, it's become pretty clear that a new breath of life is needed.

Never getting worse is admirable, but it's OK to become frustrated with never getting better, lest you be forgotten."

Pretty good article overall, the beating a dead horse crowd will sigh but a worthwhile read in my opinion.

2008- I didn't have the chance to watch many games this year, but afterwards the football program was more stable with some positive momentum.

2009- Vast improvement on defense, below average offense. B12 game was amazing and slipped right from our hands. The holiday bowl built positive momentum in the direction of the offense and even tho Suh was leaving I didn't expect too much decline

2010- Martinez explodes outta nowhere, running wild until the unfortunate injury against mizzou. A disappointing end to the season letting the B12 title game slip away once again and the uninterested team losing the holiday bowl

2011- New conference with preseason picks to win it. Some bad losses but shined bright against a top 10(I think)Mich St team. All leading to another 4 loss season

2012- Wild season with multiple comebacks. I knew Wisconsin would be a tough team to beat once again but obviously nobody expected the B1G title game to play out like it did. Ended with another disappointing bowl loss to an amazing Georgia team.

2013- I expected Martinez too be as sharp as ever this past season, which he kinda was during his minimal playing time minus Minnesota. Finally we end the season on a high note with a young team winning the gator bowl.

I would gladly take any of those Bo Pelini coached seasons over a .500 or below record. I believe the football team has momentum equal to after the 2009 season. The defense had showed great improvement. Our guys need to focus more on keeping the turnovers to a minimum because that's what absolutely has been killing us. I hope in 2014 can be a breakout year for Nebraska football.

• Fire 4

This is an honest, fair assessment on what's going on with Nebraska Football right now.

So of course Huskerboard will choose to either mock, ignore or dismiss it.

All the articles in the world can be written about how stale or lackluster Nebraska is right now. They will all mean squat when we come out strong and prove them all wrong this year.

This is an honest, fair assessment on what's going on with Nebraska Football right now.

All the articles in the world can be written about how stale or lackluster Nebraska is right now. They will all mean squat when we come out strong and prove them all wrong this year.

Is this post from 2006? Or 2010?

No wait, this definitely has some of that wacky 2007 slang to it!

You'll excuse me if I actually want to see this happen before I blindly believe it again.

That is very true. And polo, I'm totally in agreement with your views on Pelini and the program, from what I've read. But it's also been a discussion that's already occurred a million times. Therefore a little music (and torture) is probably appropriate.

A little of each?

You'll excuse me if I actually want to see this happen before I blindly believe it again.

Can you save your doom and gloom until we lose a game? This is just getting tiring. Why even bother rooting for the damned team if you aren't willing to at least have some hope.

If Michigan State can go from losing in the B1G CCG, to not making the game, to winning the B1G and the Rose Bowl, you don't think we can too? No you get your rocks off by being negative. I get it, I honestly do. My dad is a doom and gloomer. But you have every loss we might get to run in our faces. Give us the damned off season, especially with the positives we saw at the end of the season from this very young defense.

• Fire 3

Can you save your doom and gloom until we lose a game? This is just getting tiring. Why even bother rooting for the damned team if you aren't willing to at least have some hope.

If Michigan State can go from losing in the B1G CCG, to not making the game, to winning the B1G and the Rose Bowl, you don't think we can too? No you get your rocks off by being negative. I get it, I honestly do. My dad is a doom and gloomer. But you have every loss we might get to run in our faces. Give us the damned off season, especially with the positives we saw at the end of the season from this very young defense.

Rooting for the "damn team" is one thing. Watching a coaching staff and some of the fans point to Gator Bowl victory as a reason to stay the course and change nothing of merit is wholly another.

If you don't like opinions other than your own may I suggest an ostrich emulation.