Blackshirt Linebackers

I like Rose on the outside...Last year he seemed to be our fastest at getting to the point of attack and could lower the boom. Hopefully M. Newby can pick up the defense quickly cause that guy was a missile coming out of high school and would add great speed to the backers. C. Love looks like a typical middle as he is one big dude.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 17m

One change of note: Josh Banderas got a call from coaches right before spring break telling him he'll be playing middle LB more in base D.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 17m

Banderas had been playing BUCK linebacker in base defense and middle LB in the nickel. #Huskers

Interesting. I thought the big plan was to move Banderas to BUCK to get he and Rose on the field at the same time.

I thought Rose was our best backer by the end of the season. Did Banderas make the leap we all here about and is now the all around better player? Either way, I am glad we are having this problem as it breeds excellence through competition.

I thought Rose was our best backer by the end of the season. Did Banderas make the leap we all here about and is now the all around better player? Either way, I am glad we are having this problem as it breeds excellence through competition.

I'm curious on that as well. I also thought Rose was playing really well but Banderas wasn't far behind. That seemed to be why they wanted to get them both out there. I also thought Anderson might be the odd man out in the shuffle be he seems to be doing well also. Hopefully we just have four guys - Rose, Bando, Santos and Anderson - who are all playing really well so they're mixing and matching.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 55m

Marcus Newby and Courtney Love have been used as edge rushers lately, what with depth being an obvious concern at DE. #huskers

Who do we have arriving in the fall to help the DE depth? Can Newell play DE?

Newell could but he's projected at DT. Sedrick King and DeAndre Wills are the two projected DEs who will be coming in this summer. Also, it's possible Gretna's Mick Stoltenberg could play DE as well (probably starting on offense). And many think Freedom Akinmoladun projects better at DE but we recruited him at TE. I'm not sure any of them will be ready by game one. And we're not really long on TEs right now as Sutton and Pirman don't seem to be in the mix so they might be reluctant to move Freedom, although Stoltenberg could play TE as well.