Assistant search

Rumor circulating today is current Western Illinois Coach Jim Molinari will leave the Leathernecks (Summit League) and become an assistant at Nebraska. So far, looks like internet chatter but the WIU fan message board brought it up. Molinari has very firm ideas about defense...should be an interesting contrast with the faster pace exhibited by Miles's teams. Molinari is also known as a great guy and has an interesting background, not only in coaching stints but otherwise (e.g. he has a law degree). If this rumor turns about to be true, consider the odd contrast: Smith leaves Nebraska to take over Summit League USD. Molinari leaves a HC position at WIU in the Summit League, to take Smith's old position at Nebraska.

That would be very interesting to see. One thing to consider though is USD's ceiling is likely a bit higher than WIU's, being a flagship school and all. WIU was in a bad place when Molinari took over, and I'm not sure he's ever going to be more successful at WIU than he was last year when they nearly won the Summit.

Seems to be a good coach. Certainly likes a very defensive style of play. I'm not sure who else Miles has on his radar, but I can't see this guy being a miss. I'd guess the Huskers would be giving up fewer points with Molinari teaching them defense.

Recruiting accumen is the most important thing to have in an assistant basketball coach. Not saying he isn't capable, but saying that we don't know how he shapes up on the trail.

Would be very cool to see Molinari take the job at NU. As you guys mentioned above his teams don't get out in transition much. I'm going to credit that more to the athletes he had playing for him. Not saying he doesn't coach that way to a certain extent but he hasn't had ht best talent either. WIU is about the 8th or 9th choice for kids in that state as far as where to go to play. Not easy to recruit the Chicago kids to Macomb either (trust me its a culture shock).

Here is a little info on Molinari:

In 2005, Street & Smith’s named Molinari the “best assistant in the Big Ten Conference.”

For 11 seasons, from 1991-2002, Molinari was the head coach at Bradley University, where he amassed a 174-152 (.534) record and guided the Braves to the postseason six times - five National Invitation Tournament appearances and the 1996 NCAA Tournament.

From 1989-91, he was the head coach at Northern Illinois, where he posted a record of 42-17 (.712). The Huskies won the 1991 Mid-Continent Conference title, going 25-6 and setting a school record for wins.

At DePaul from 1979-89, Molinari helped both Ray and Joey Meyer return the Blue Demons to national prominence. Over 10 seasons at DePaul, Molinari helped recruit college and professional stars such as Mark Aguirre, Dallas Comegys, Tyrone Corbin, Terry Cummings and Rod Strickland -- players who led DePaul to nine NCAA Tournaments and a runner-up finish in the NIT.

Edited by Mavric
resized

In 2005, Street & Smith’s named Molinari the “best assistant in the Big Ten Conference.”

For 11 seasons, from 1991-2002, Molinari was the head coach at Bradley University, where he amassed a 174-152 (.534) record and guided the Braves to the postseason six times - five National Invitation Tournament appearances and the 1996 NCAA Tournament.

From 1989-91, he was the head coach at Northern Illinois, where he posted a record of 42-17 (.712). The Huskies won the 1991 Mid-Continent Conference title, going 25-6 and setting a school record for wins.

At DePaul from 1979-89, Molinari helped both Ray and Joey Meyer return the Blue Demons to national prominence. Over 10 seasons at DePaul, Molinari helped recruit college and professional stars such as Mark Aguirre, Dallas Comegys, Tyrone Corbin, Terry Cummings and Rod Strickland -- players who led DePaul to nine NCAA Tournaments and a runner-up finish in the NIT.

Mav, THANKS!

Mav, THANKS!

I'm confused because I can't find anything in his bio on line. Where was he coaching in 2005 when he won the award for Big Ten best assistant award?

Mav, THANKS!

I'm confused because I can't find anything in his bio on line. Where was he coaching in 2005 when he won the award for Big Ten best assistant award?

Minnesota. He took over for the team for the rest of the year when Dan Monson was fired.