Anyone here like to ride bicycles?

I've never personally known anyone wear a helmet but I've seen some people wear them...dorks!...I know they're pretty light, but still enough extra weight to throw off your center of gravity when you're frefalling making you more likely to land on your head.

WTF???? :facepalm::laughpound

I take it you've never skydived or learned to fall properly with "expert Judo or other martial arts training".. I'm old enough to remember being allowed to stand up in the back seat of the car while Dad drove hilly gravel roads at 75mph...And rode motorcycles without helmets...Swam in rivers..swung on a rope over a sandpit lake where somebody drowned a couple of Summers before...

It's turrible how helicopter parents have contributed to the pussification of America!!! - Charles Barkley

Now...Get off my lawn!!!

19 states are required to use a motorcycle helmet including Nebraska. Probably in the future, many states will require a bike helmet......and passenger car helmet laws, jogging helmet, treadmill helmet, bed time helmet (rough sex), shower helmet (protect soap fall) etc ;) . Seriously, I have no problem by choosing a bike helmet or not but the only funny thing, face it, at least 50% bikers really don't care about protection but simply keep up with the latest style fad gear especially women. Monkey see monkey do. Peter piper. Keep up with the Joneses (or Kardashians).

Smiling-Girl-with-Helmet.jpg

Not shown......... texting gadget in her left hand.

Husker 37, you're funny but kinda true ..... "It's turrible how helicopter parents have contributed to the pussification of America!!! - Charles Barkley"

As glad as I am that my Son automatically puts on a seatbelt..And I wouldn't dream of letting him ride on the back of my motorcycle without the helmet I got him...I still find myself fighting the urge to joke with him about being raised by a bunch of wimmen.

One of the really, reeely small reasons I left Nebraska was the new motorcycle helmet law..but looking back, it wasn't the hatred of helmets...It was hatred of "big brother" telling me I had to wear them...I'm still not sure I'd even WANT to survive another crash.

I wear a helmet most of the time, mainly to combat my receding hairline..I still can't seem to belt up, though...The strap chafes the pointy spot where I broke my collarbone while trying to miss landing on my head (in a motorcycle accident on 27th ave)..

techsmithwor67c0.png

• 4 weeks later...

Been thinking about getting a bike, probably a hybrid-type, something pretty recreational. I'll never go out on like 30-mile rides or anything like that, but riding around on short trips and errands, getting some exercise, etc would probably be beneficial. Plus riding bikes is inherently pretty fun anyway and I haven't in many many years.

Any suggestions on brands or what shops to go to (in Lincoln)? My budget is not very large but I'd like something above department store quality for sure - I hate buying cheapo stuff and would like it to last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Been thinking of getting into this after years of lifting weights. My body is starting to have problems pushing heavy weight around so my next logical option is to find something else to do for exercise. Hate running, don't mind biking.

IMO, I wouldn't take that as a sign that you should stop lifting. You may just need to change how you're lifting.

Been thinking of getting into this after years of lifting weights. My body is starting to have problems pushing heavy weight around so my next logical option is to find something else to do for exercise. Hate running, don't mind biking.

IMO, I wouldn't take that as a sign that you should stop lifting. You may just need to change how you're lifting.

I have since I posted this, I'm a lot smarter now on how I'm lifting than I was then. Getting older hasn't been easy even though I'm only 34. Progressing up in weight is a lot harder than it used to be, meaning I'm not going to jump 30 lbs on a lift just because I feel good at the time. I'm thinking about the after effects before I do that. Doesn't help I've got two messed up disks in my back right now I'm dealing with. But, this forces me to be smart with how I'm lifting. If I'm not smart, I'm down 3 to 6 weeks dealing with the injury and can barely walk. Core, core and more core........

• Fire 1

I have since I posted this, I'm a lot smarter now on how I'm lifting than I was then. Getting older hasn't been easy even though I'm only 34. Progressing up in weight is a lot harder than it used to be, meaning I'm not going to jump 30 lbs on a lift just because I feel good at the time. I'm thinking about the after effects before I do that. Doesn't help I've got two messed up disks in my back right now I'm dealing with. But, this forces me to be smart with how I'm lifting. If I'm not smart, I'm down 3 to 6 weeks dealing with the injury and can barely walk. Core, core and more core........

:laughpound Oh...you just wait.

Getting older, you definitely need to be smarter about working out and change how you view working out. You can still be very healthy and work out hard. It's just different and you won't be able to do as much as you used to do. When I was 30, I was training for triathlons and what ever I did, my body handled it. If I wanted to increase from running 6 miles to 8 miles. Great. Might be a little more tired at the end but so what....NOW at 47? If I run 6 miles and want to go to 8? That might take me a couple weeks to build up to it.

The biggest thing is don't let that discourage you. Look around and realize you are still in one hell of a lot better shape than 80% of others your age.

Right there with you on age BRB and I was laughing too at BRI being 34 :laughpound It is downhill after 40 but the most strength I ever gained was between the age of 45-46.

Since bench is a popular lift I bring this up. Google "so you think you can bench" and check out the series of videos from EliteFTS. They helped me to avoid injury. I forget if the videos mention this but it's important to counterbalance benching with other exercises to strengthen back. I have a coworker that didn't do this and over time he developed hunched over shoulders and eventually shoulder problems.

Does anyone here own a stationary bike?

I don't but I'd probably buy a spin bike rather than one of those "exercise bike" with the granny seats. I want to try the keiser bikes http://www2.keiser.com/machines/M_Series/m_Series/M3_Indoor_Cycle. They are more expensive then the spin bikes with that use friction pads to generate resistance but they are probably less maintenance.

One of my biker nut friends had a stand for his bike so he could ride indoors during the winter. The winter is even short for him since he is a biker nut and rides in all kinds of weather. I didn't see my biker nut friend's setup but I'm sure they exist. Did I mention my friend is a biker nut?

Laugh all you want about the age, but I've been lifting for 15 years and that takes a toll on your body no matter who you are and I hear all the time, "just wait till you get older yada yada yada"

List of injuries for me:

Two torn shoulders, one of which was surgically repaired.

Partially torn tricep tendon, rehabbed over 3 months.

Arthritis in wrists.

Ganglion cyst in wrist.

Bulging disc.

Herniated disc.

bursitis more times than I can count.

The day will come that I will stop lifting, probably in my 40's somewhere and I'll have to find something else to do. Is what it is........

Sorry to hear about your injuries BRI. That is a long list. I'd have to google some of them to know what they are. I can see why you would have different expectations when getting older. I haven't had a quarter of the injuries you've had. Maybe I should be grateful that I didn't get into lifting consistently until mid 30s even though I've always wished I started in my 20s when it would have been a lot easier.

Laugh all you want about the age, but I've been lifting for 15 years and that takes a toll on your body no matter who you are and I hear all the time, "just wait till you get older yada yada yada"

List of injuries for me:

Two torn shoulders, one of which was surgically repaired.

Partially torn tricep tendon, rehabbed over 3 months.

Arthritis in wrists.

Ganglion cyst in wrist.

Bulging disc.

Herniated disc.

bursitis more times than I can count.

The day will come that I will stop lifting, probably in my 40's somewhere and I'll have to find something else to do. Is what it is........

It's all good Bri. We're laugh with you not at you.

When I was 25 I started a contracting business and thought I could do all physical labor myself. I was rock solid and in shape. 13 years later, I realized my body was totally shot and couldn't do it anymore. Got fat and miserable. I had to find a completely new way to stay in shape.

I have days where my body doesn't want to get out of bed and my two ruptured disks in my back make sure I know when I do something wrong.

It sucks but it's life.

All I know is it's all one hell of a lot worse if I let myself get out of shape.

Fight on.

• Fire 1