Sound System/ Inernet Update in Stadium

Technology updates put people in two categories. Ones that embrace them as improvements and let them enhance their lives and ones that wish things were like the old days. With every new update things at different. That means new negatives and positives, different ones. But once the cat is out of the bag things won't go back.

Take the uniform trend. I was always a stick to tradition guy. But once Oregon started it caught on. At that point there were two choices. Change with the times or get left behind. Sure it shows that this generation is more for instant gratification, looks and other shallow things. But when 90% of high school seniors want it you significantly limit your resource pool by sticking to what worked in 1970.

If YOU want/don't want to use the new wifi great. But it's a personal choice for everyone to make on their own.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From OC Tim Beck's twitter feed:

Tim Beck ‏@NU_speed_kills 22m

LOOK OUT ... Working on Memorial Stadium - making the sound system even LOUDER.

14Drb7v.jpg

The problem wasn't ever really the loudness. The problem is it's only originating from one spot IMO. I would think they could put speakers up around other parts of the stadium, turn the sound down, and it would still be loud and also everyone could hear it about equally well. It's plenty loud in the North, but much is lost by the time it gets to the south.

Is it not possible to put speaker somewhere on each side of the stadium? Or can't it work? I'm no audio expert so I don't know but that seems to be the obvious way to do it. Anyone that has that expertise know?

It's replacing the old speaker cluster system. The new speaker system will use line array and beam focusing technology. Basically, the speakers will be mounted to create a near-line source of sound.

Bosch_36W_column_loudspeaker_polar_patte

The speakers will constructivally interfere with each other to amplify the directon of the sound opposed to having huge large speakers turned up very very loud.

I missed this post awhile back but +1 sir, this is fantastic information and fantastic news.

• 3 weeks later...

Letter to the LJS:

We are senior citizens and have enjoyed Big Red football ever since Bob Devaney came in 1962 -- 334 football games.

We think the new stadium sound system is great; however, it was so loud we could hardly talk to each other. People could probably hear it in Crete!

Come on. Turn it down halfway, and by the way it would be nice to have some wonderful music instead of all this hip-hop hogwash ... the kind that Dr. Tom Osborne could enjoy.

Charley Ackerman, Milford

I'm sure I can guess most reactions on here but I posted it mainly to ask how people thought the new system worked. It seemed to be much more clear and synced with the audio in East Stadium. Was it not as deafening in North? Easy to understand in South?