The Huskerboard High Culture thread

Your Goya painting got me thinking about the darker side of things.

Here's another bright and cheery painting, The Triumph of Death by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, 1562. Try to find Waldo/someone not in excruciating pain.

Thetriumphofdeath.jpg

He painted some really wild stuff. The fall of the Rebel Angels, also in 1562.

Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Fall_of_the_Rebel_Angels_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

1200px-Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Fall_of_the_Rebel_Angels_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Dulle Griet, 1562 based on a Flemish folk tale about a woman who leads an army into hell.

Mad_meg.jpg

and then he had those two really famous paintings of the tower of Babel

450px-Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Tower_of_Babel_(Vienna)_-_Google_Art_Project_-_edited.jpg450px-Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Tower_of_Babel_(Rotterdam)_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

I happen to like Gregorian chanting which started in the 9th century. Does that count?

I think so...

I had to listen to the Gregorian Chants in Jr High music class, and I couldn't stand them...

Yea Gregor is a pretty crappy singer and he's even worse at chanting.

120914-MonaLisaPhoto-hmed-1250p_files.grid-5x2.jpg

Mona Lisa, Louvre

2-musee-orsay-paris-artensuite.jpg

musee-d'orsay statue

101-0112_IMG.JPG

Michelangelo's David, Accademia Gallery in Florence

small-sculpture-the-thinker-large.jpg1070_31590688f29de71.jpg

The Thinker and The Gates of Hell, the Musée Rodin

Burghers_of_Calais_Hirshhorn.jpg

Burghers of Calais, Hirshhorn

/ My wife liked to go to museums. :lol:

I was underwhelmed with the Mona Lisa. It's not particularly impressive unless you're in to pigments and brush strokes. I wouldn't put that thing up in my house if you gave it to me for free.

Stuff at the Louvre I thought were pretty amazing:

The Venus de Milo:

Et9GY2r.jpg

Winged Victory:

4dZnghL.jpg

Just about anything in the Egyptian section:

FGGzW0X.jpg

But the thing I thought was most impressive was the Code of Hammurabi:

YK54hWz.jpg

I set off the alarms leaning in to this magnificent piece of history like that girl in the photo. The curators didn't exactly come running, and I got chewed out in French, but the guy did it in a pretty bored voice, since I gather that happens all the time.

Basically, I love works in stone. There's a permanence to stone that has always drawn me. Long after the Mona Lisa is crumbled to dust, the Code of Hammurabi will still exist, in nearly exactly the same form as when it was first created.

I am on the same side as Tschu. Although I have been trying more to learn about things like this. I have found I really like Van Gogh paintings. I have been listening to audiobooks of classic novels like The Invisible Man and Treasure Island.

Been reading a lot about American culture in pre-Revolution and the times shortly after. I have a long way to go to match up with some of you though.